Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Suggestion: Advanced Tech forum

Hey yo,

I'm getting a little tired of going into tech and reading through hundreds of the same "What CAI is BEST?" and "What catback sounds good?".

Not only are these threads redundant, but the majority of the posts in these threads are a single smiley for some post-count whoring followed by a big, bloated sig.

I have been frusturated because there are not a lot of large 5th gen Camaro forums out there, and I am concerned when I read a lot of misinformation being passed around in a lot of threads in the tech forums. In certain situations, good topics are being derailed before they have a chance to get going.

A highly moderated, advanced tech forum would be helpful for those of us that want to discuss serious automotive theory, with detailed and factual analysis, as well as mature debates on theoretical ideas and designs.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'm assuming you want something like a 'How stuff works' section? Describing the advantages and disadvanteges of things like turbos vs superchargers, x-pipes vs h-pipes, FWD vs AWD vs RWD and so on?

We do have a few very technical guides that get written and discussed sporadically. Spike wrote some a year ago. As it is now, there is nothing in place to prevent intelligent discussion on technical topics, but those sorts of threads are rare for 2 main reasons. First, many are afraid to ask things that would prompt such a discussion (like ... what is a header and why do they make more power?). Secondly, most who do have advanced knowledge will only chime in when someone else asks a question and won't initiate a tech thread on their own because they don't want to write a mini novel. So these sorts of discussions are more frequently made as a side track from another related topic, which makes them much harder to find.

There is a small collection (4) at the bottom of the Camaro5 wiki http://www.camaro5.com/forums/wiki.p...TIVE_KNOWLEDGE but I know there are more out there. I've thought about compiling a list of them (like in the wiki) in a sticky but I haven't found the ambition to do it yet.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'm assuming you want something like a 'How stuff works' section? Describing the advantages and disadvanteges of things like turbos vs superchargers, x-pipes vs h-pipes, FWD vs AWD vs RWD and so on?
Well, not to come off as a jerk or anything, but that is kind of the oppossite of advanced tech. I think this forum provides a significant amount of basic information. Maybe it's just me, but the member base seems to be mostly unfamiliar with automotive performance.

I'm thinking of topics like:

-Static vs. Dynamic compression on the impacts on engine power.
-Horsepower/TQ efficiency to cubic inch
-Deck height for forced induction vs NA applications

Things like this that are debateable topics, yet go into the detailed sciences of performance impacts.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 05-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Well, not to come off as a jerk or anything, but that is kind of the oppossite of advanced tech. I think this forum provides a significant amount of basic information. Maybe it's just me, but the member base seems to be mostly unfamiliar with automotive performance.

Things like this that are debateable topics, yet go into the detailed sciences of performance impacts.

a couple years ago, we used to have threads like this where those involved would seriously ponder the topic at hand before responding. tho a lot of them werent directly correspondent to the camaro, (ie 6 stroke engines and steam power, etc), but they did offer intuitive looks into the other aspects of making power.

there are a good handful of people (myself included) that would be more than interested in such topics that you brought up. however (and this should not be seen as a deterrent), part of the reason we have not had a lot of those recently is due to the production of the car finally starting and subsequently, everyone spending time driving their cars and wanting to do amateur/bolt-on mods. another reason is that our forum population is largely made of members that don't/won't ever deal with those types of issues. and thus they are not brought forward to discuss.

I love a good technical discussion over the normal "hey, I just got my car" threads.

By all means, feel free to start a thread up in the engine section. The main reason we dont have a specific section for these types of threads is due to the lack of these types of threads and meaningful contributors.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Ok, I will give that a try and see how it works out. I appreciate your straightforwardness and honesty.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be an ass. I just get frusturated by seeing the same threads, people not searching, and one word or smiley only posts. I have been having a hard time finding good information and I really want this forum to be the one-stop-shop for all things 5th gen camaro. Hopefully things develop in a positive way.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
babarudy

Drives: 2010 2lt rs jewell tint
hi guys and gals . i have a cai question that i hope is unique! i am wanting to replace my stock 3 in to a 4 inch intake tube. i purchased a stock 4 in intake tube[ from i believe is from a ls3 engine]. so i will have a 4 to 3 in reducer[ reversed of course] to the ls3 intake tube[it is to long so i have to trim it]i have cut off the resonator reservoir and the vacuum port box[for lack of the tech term] so this goes into the 4 in maf sensor mount then to the universal maf housing then another 4 inch tube that the cone filter is attached to. my question is can i reuse the stock 3 inch maf sensor in the 4 inch maf housing [if not ] then can i use the maf sensor of the v8 that has a 4inch intake?]if i can use the sensor from the 4 inch system, will i need to retune? [that i will not do, warranty reasons]
Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
babarudy

3 inch intake to a 4 inch cai on a 2lt rs

ok so i want to build, for my 2lt rs, a CAI! so far i have a 4 to 3 inch reducer. the 3 inch part attaches to the throttle body, the 4 inch port attaches to a 4 in intake [stock] from a ls3 intake. i trimmed off the resonator box and the the vacuum port box and had to cut off about 3 inches of the ls3[ throttle body end.]the filter end of the ls3 intake tube has a 4 inch flex coupler permanently attached to the filter end. from there i have attached a 4 inch maf sensor housing mount, then the 4inch universal maf housing, then another 4 inch alum. tube, that attaches to the cone filter. i am going to put a thermal wrap on all of it and build my own box for the filter. my only problem is the maf sensor. i currently have the stock one from the 3 inch intake, i am trying to find out if can reuse this in a 4 inch system or can i use the stock one from the v8 or ls3. i have put this question out there and am waiting for the answer. yes i know i can buy the set up already professionally engineered but i am not going to spend 200 to 400 $ for polished alum. that i intend to protect from the under hood heat. nor am i interested it the black wing system that is to much like stock. any constructive input is greatly appreciated thanks o by the way support your local barbershop get a haircut
Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
babarudy

i posted on the wrong forum sorry aim trying to still figure this site out
Old 05-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #9
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Wow.... well.... Thanks for being a perfect example of my point I guess.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 05-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
irony at its best.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
irony at its best.

That it is!!! And, normally we will delete or move posts like these at the request of the OP, because it's flagged as off topic by others, or mods will see them before others and will move them automatically. But, this IS a perfect example of how things get mixed in...which is why I'm not going to delete it (no offense to the off topic poster...just using your post as an example).

Sure, if the advanced tech gets posted, I think GREAT. If extra help is needed in that forum to keep things on track, just use the report button if needed if someone isn't around. Simple as that.

You know...a lot can be learned from threads like those. Which is why I'm 100% for them. I want to learn. But, I want to learn facts...not an opinion. Go for it! (might even want to preface the thread title with "ADVANCED: insert name here" for ease of finding.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarudy View Post
i posted on the wrong forum sorry aim trying to still figure this site out
Quote:
Wow.... well.... Thanks for being a perfect example of my point I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
irony at its best.

You guys are awesome.

If something is missing from the Wiki, let me know. I've been working to update the Wiki very aggressively, especially in the Aftermarket Parts section.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post

You guys are awesome.
Well.... There is a delete button. He knew it was the wrong thread so he coulda just removed it and reposted it in the correct forum. /shrug

Anyways, I took the advice of the administration and tried it out:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84378

If it wasn't for "wbt", I would be having a discussion with myself. Unfortunately there are more garbage-posts than actual information.

Also, have you guys ever considered removing post count? There are a few guys I have noticed on this forum that do nothing but say "nice" or "awesome" or "sounds good" for their posts.

I hate to complain a lot, its just that I am growing a little frusturated with all the incorrect information being passed around, as well as redundancy.

1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:

I would highly recommend books by David Vizard (a well know tech editor for many major magazines and technical books). Also you may wish to check out books put out by SA Publications for the topics you listed above. They are not unique to the Camaro and David has written a lot on these topics.

Quote:
If it wasn't for "wbt", I would be having a discussion with myself. Unfortunately there are more garbage-posts than actual information.

I hate to complain a lot, its just that I am growing a little frusturated with all the incorrect information being passed around, as well as redundancy.
When you have this many members, threads and posts (Threads: 71,485, Posts: 1,807,115, Members: 27,534) you are going to get a myriad of information and input from all types of sources. Many members will try to help others and post as much fact as they know and then add in opinion. This is not a "pay" service so no one is obligated to answer. They do it for the member(s). It is after all a forum. I spend a lot of time using the search feature to find answers because if I look long enough, the answers are usually here somewhere.

This is all just my opinion, but there is a wealth of information here. It does take time to sort through it, but it's worth it.

Good Luck.