Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #15
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
nope.....the only thing out is trifecta, thats why i dont have a tune yet. there is just to much i dont like about trifecta for me to spend that kind of money
www.lonestarcamaro.com
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #16
Bowtiepower00

Drives: Previous Camaros: 69, 89, 11, 13
Vince at Trifecta has the V6 figured out. Price is the only downside, but his tune is far better than your typical handheld, and if you have a laptop you can datalog and have him dial in your tune perfectly. The Trifecta can be downloaded via handheld, but it is a returnable item, and spendy if you purchase it outright. If you're running nitrous, FI, or long tube headers, Trifecta is the way to go, hands down. The price is not unreasonable when you take into account the level of customer service included. A Trifecta tune is not your average handheld programmer.
Bowtiepower00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #17
jeff4946

Drives: 2010 RS 2LT
Ya.. no question. Trifecta will still build the tune. I have communicated with Vince, and Marc Magoon, which is his Utah rep. He can do the nitrous tune. The problem is when you are running a regular street tune, to make power gains, it advances your timing. When running a nitrous tune, you want to retard your timing, so your peak cylinder pressure is not at TDC. When your not running your nitrous, you don't want the nitrous tune, because it will lag your power. I know they have a device for Ford, and I believe it is called a sct flash devise, that stores, and switches your tunes on the fly. I am just trying to figure out if such a device if made for Chevs. It would still be a Trifecta tune, just stored on a flash device. Only other way I've heard of is running methanol or water injection, then you don't need to run timing retard, and I am not at that level yet.
K&N Cai, BSR Ported intake, MBRP catback, BBK long tubes, VMax throttle body, 3.73 SS gears, Zex nitrous 125hp shot, window switch, purge,remote bottle opener, bottle heater, Trifecta tune, Hurst short throw, RX catch can, Intake isolator, Ported Intake manifold
jeff4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
jeff4946

Ahhhh.... got a good tip on another thread, that will address my timing issue. It is a HSW interface... and it will retard the timing thru the arming switch and only when needed.
K&N Cai, BSR Ported intake, MBRP catback, BBK long tubes, VMax throttle body, 3.73 SS gears, Zex nitrous 125hp shot, window switch, purge,remote bottle opener, bottle heater, Trifecta tune, Hurst short throw, RX catch can, Intake isolator, Ported Intake manifold
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #19
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4946 View Post
I've been talkin with a local Trifecta dude... the tune is possible just wanna be able to switch back to stock tune when not using the nitrous, without having to use a laptop. I know the devices exist. Just need to know the technical name, and if available for this car. I will head over to the v6 forums and poke around. Thanks!
you dont "need" to switch back and forth with stock and nitrous tunes.

Quote:
Ya.. no question. Trifecta will still build the tune. I have communicated with Vince, and Marc Magoon, which is his Utah rep. He can do the nitrous tune. The problem is when you are running a regular street tune, to make power gains, it advances your timing. When running a nitrous tune, you want to retard your timing, so your peak cylinder pressure is not at TDC. When your not running your nitrous, you don't want the nitrous tune, because it will lag your power. I know they have a device for Ford, and I believe it is called a sct flash devise, that stores, and switches your tunes on the fly. I am just trying to figure out if such a device if made for Chevs. It would still be a Trifecta tune, just stored on a flash device. Only other way I've heard of is running methanol or water injection, then you don't need to run timing retard, and I am not at that level yet.
most all nitrous systems now-adays will have a system that will reduce the timing of the car when you are spraying.

Quote:
Ahhhh.... got a good tip on another thread, that will address my timing issue. It is a HSW interface... and it will retard the timing thru the arming switch and only when needed.
perfect example.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #20
jeff4946

Well, ordered the interface... I'm giddy as a school girl. Should be installed within the week.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #21
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Also, Vince is well known for programming different tunes to switches in the car (e.g. the Cobolt). Not sure if anyone has asked him to do this for our cars, but you might try and see what he thinks. You could have him attach the NO2 tune to the traction control switch. When TC is on you run regular tune, when off you run NO2 tune. Just an idea.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #22
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
So anyone recommend a certain brand of nitrous? I was planning on the ZEX kit made for the v6 camaro, but it seems like there are a lot of problems with them.

Would it be better to just get a univeral one from ZEX?

Last edited by PoorMansCamaro; 03-09-2011 at 02:38 PM.
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #23
PoorMansCamaro

also, with the zex kit, it says to relieve pressure from the lines. How is this done? How are they purged? I don't see any type of purge mechanism on the list of stuff you get. Do you have to purchase a purge kit seperate?

edit: nevermind, i found the purge kits on the zex website. I'm assuming this is a necessity?

Last edited by PoorMansCamaro; 03-09-2011 at 12:21 PM.
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #24
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
So anyone recommend a certain brand of nitrous? I was planning on the ZEX kit made for the v6 camaro, but it seems like there are a lot of problems with them.

Would it be better to just get a univeral one from ZEX?
i built my own kit using nos brand with a zex controller......i got most the parts used on craigslist and from friends...i think im in my kit for around 300
www.lonestarcamaro.com
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #25
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd View Post
i built my own kit using nos brand with a zex controller......i got most the parts used on craigslist and from friends...i think im in my kit for around 300
nice! maybe i should try the same. I was able to find the zex kit for about $585 from phastek performance. with free shipping. thought it was a pretty good deal, but not if it doesn't come with the right parts...
Old 03-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #26
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
nice! maybe i should try the same. I was able to find the zex kit for about $585 from phastek performance. with free shipping. thought it was a pretty good deal, but not if it doesn't come with the right parts...
I believe that's their base kit. You'll still want a purge kit and I recommend a window switch so you aren't hitting the rev-limiter which would likely cause a lot of broke pieces in the motor.

I purchased an NX GM efi kit cheap(it was new, just been sitting on a speedshop's shelves for a while). They paid to get the "new" bottle re-certified, I bought an NX TPS switch that works nice and a window switch from MSD. I already had a purge kit(it's basically a nitrous solenoid with some fittings), bottle warmer, and blowdown tube.
Good luck and enjoy.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #27
jeff4946

I have been real happy with my Zex kit. It's a pretty safe system. I added the purge, and I hear people say you don't need it, but if there is a very small leak, or if a solenoid did fail(not likely, but could) then I want that line empty. Also I know a lot of people point that purge out the sides of the hood, cuz it looks cool, but I point mine under the car at the ground, so if I get pulled over, I can purge the line before I come to a dead stop. It is a waste of nitrous, but it is what it is. Remote bottle opener is a good idea too. Don't want to leave bottle open all the time, but when I want it..... I want it now. Just understand, that to run any bigger shot than the bare minimum, then other things need to be done, and trust me from experience... your not gonna be happy with bare minimum,... or the next one... or the next one, so while your building it, plan for bigger. It is fun to be a juicer...
Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #28
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
wow good info in here!
How much does it generally cost to fill the bottle?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote