Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #99
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Just way more fun. I feel like I'm really driving the car. My wife feels exactly the same way. No way we would've bought an Auto. Not including the $1800 upgrade and loss of HP from the L99 but also the loss of power through the drivetrain.

Can't tell you how many times I've walked up to many great looking cars and say "man that's a nice car" to look inside, see it's an auto, and say "too bad it's an automatic".
LMAO!!!!!!! so TRUE!!! ^^^
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #100
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I remember when I was being razzed about the v6, bringing up the "fail" that is v8 auto.

I would get replies about how they would smoke me at the track, and how drag races are automatic. blah blah...

I think it is great that the ZL1 is manual. My understanding is that it was meant to be driven around tracks with curves corners, etc.. and not to have anyone stomp on the acclerator for a boring "quarter mile at a time"

I do get some respect for having a manual. Most don't know it is a v6. However, I do tell people, I thought that 312 HP is way more than enough for my daily driver.

As for traffic. I drove it over the Blue Water Bridge from Sarnia to Port Huron last year leaving Canada. I wasn't that bothered by it. It was kind of fun that once I got up the bridge I could turn the car off press the clutch in and coast.

I got the manual as I missed having manual and I could get better control of the car this way. Plus you can rev it at people when they are tailgating you
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #101
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
I remember when I was being razzed about the v6, bringing up the "fail" that is v8 auto.

I would get replies about how they would smoke me at the track, and how drag races are automatic. blah blah...

I think it is great that the ZL1 is manual. My understanding is that it was meant to be driven around tracks with curves corners, etc.. and not to have anyone stomp on the acclerator for a boring "quarter mile at a time"

I do get some respect for having a manual. Most don't know it is a v6. However, I do tell people, I thought that 312 HP is way more than enough for my daily driver.

As for traffic. I drove it over the Blue Water Bridge from Sarnia to Port Huron last year leaving Canada. I wasn't that bothered by it. It was kind of fun that once I got up the bridge I could turn the car off press the clutch in and coast.

I got the manual as I missed having manual and I could get better control of the car this way. Plus you can rev it at people when they are tailgating you
LOL WTF dont do that!

Just pop it into neutral, these cars dont use much fuel at idle. On top of that you are going to need to restart the motor when youre coast ends which will waste fuel and put wear on your motor!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #102
Viral

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Two phrases you'll never hear anyone say...

"you got the V8? WHY?!?"

and...

"you got the manual? WHY?!?"

You'll never be asked to justify your compromise with a V8 manual. It's just the way it's supposed to be
Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #103
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Two phrases you'll never hear anyone say...

"you got the V8? WHY?!?"

and...

"you got the manual? WHY?!?"

You'll never be asked to justify your compromise with a V8 manual. It's just the way it's supposed to be

Actually, I'm friends with an English girl and she asked me Why I had to get a V8. And I said because I can. She's not an environmentalist or anything, but out there most everybody drives a 4cyl (or less) The rich buy 6cyl and the ultra rich buy 8cyl cars that get "ghastly" 25MPG ratings... When I told her I was averaging 16MPG this winter she about had a heart attack.

I'm not going to lie, I'd like to get 30MPG, but seriously the V8 is worth it to me. This may be the last V8 I can ever afford to own and I'm loving it.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #104
jmart53

Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
I'm 24 yrs old, I have had 4 previous cars...all autos. Only manual trans experiences I ever had were with beaters my friends had. None of my cars were a "sports car" and when I decided to buy the new SS I said I didn't even want to look at auto's to the sale people. In my mind with a car like this, it has to be a manual! Feel more connected to it and the driving experience of shifting and feeling the engine is absolutely amazing. Also, when I realized that $1800 more gets me 26 LESS Hp... that was just more reassurance to get a manual

And I totally agree with this: "Can't tell you how many times I've walked up to many great looking cars and say "man that's a nice car" to look inside, see it's an auto, and say "too bad it's an automatic"."
Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #105
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
They don't phrase it that way with me... "What size is the engine?" I tell 'em V8, they pause, then I say 6 speed manual transmission, and their jaws drop. Like "Whoa, a GIRL with a V8 and a stick?!?!" Makes me laugh...
That's because the entire population of females who own a V8/M6 Camaro is probably about... you Just seems like most of them are V6 owners or if V8, they got the auto.

I bought the manual because they are more fun by a very large margin and I wouldn't have even been 10% as excited to get my car if I had been getting an auto. Also, anybody can learn to drive a manual but nobody does so it feels like a lost art that I don't want to be lost.

Plus it's just way more fun to drive
Old 04-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #106
Chevy for life
LOWLIFE LIV'N THE HILIFE

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS LS3
Not gonna argue the points made... When shopping for my "dream car" the only option was the LS3/M6!! I also believe(my opinion) that there should not even be a v6 option in any sports car.. If you want a v6 by a malibu.. I love my LS3 and it was def the only option for me... That being said I can say this... my fiancee(former mopar lover/challenger srt8 owner), after driving and riding in my 2010 2SS fell in love with the camaro.. She went out and bought a 2011 L99 even know i tried my damdest to talk her out of it... Now I can honestly say I am glad she made the decision she made.. I can say this I LOVE driving her L99 almost as much as I LOVE my LS3... emphasis on almost... The other thing I love about her car (not specific to the L99.. but an option not avail in 2010 is her headsup) this makes the driving experience a whole lot better.. damn steering wheel is right in the way of my speedo/tac in my 2010.. The cool thing now is.. I get the best of bothe worlds (LS3 & L99) Both cars are a blast to drive.. If we are gonna HATE on someone... lets hate on the Ford and Dodge owners.. join forces with our fellow camaro owners wether its a l99 or a ls3!!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #107
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
LOL WTF dont do that!

Just pop it into neutral, these cars dont use much fuel at idle. On top of that you are going to need to restart the motor when youre coast ends which will waste fuel and put wear on your motor!
Idling the car for over an hour waiting for US customs?
No thanks. I had to have the car on to make it up the bridge.
The foot that got sore was my right foot going from acclerator to brake.

On the way down I turned the car off, put it in neutral and held the brake in order to save on fuel.