Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
dahulk

Drives: '11 RS SYNERGY GREEN, 09 Corvette
Send a message via Yahoo to dahulk
Key swap question

Is it possible to remove the actual key from my old keyfob and put it in my new key fob that has the remote start option?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Should be possible http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48774
Old 02-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahulk View Post
Is it possible to remove the actual key from my old keyfob and put it in my new key fob that has the remote start option?
Yes, the metal key piece is swappable. But you'd have to program the fob to the car; and that doesn't guarantee that you will have remote start capability just because you found a fob with a remote start button.

What is it exactly that you're trying to do?
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
dahulk

1BADLS3, I purchased the remote start and 2 uncoded blank keys from my local dealer. When I went to get it installed they said they could not install it because they dont have a key cutter. I then asked them why the hell they sold me the keys and the starter and scheduled the install.. Anyway, I have installed the remote starter harness, etc. So all I have left is to program the keyfobs which I can do, get the keys cut, and then take it to the dealer for them to program the BCM. So I was wondering since I will not need my old key fobs, to just swap one key, program it, then swap the other key and program that, then go out to the dealer so they can program the computer. So my origional question was - can\how do I remove the actual key from one fob and put it in the new fob.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
yes you can......but it does require opening up the fob.....there is a single screw that holds the key in. I have seen pictures of one opened. since there is a BATTERY in the fob, the dealer will have the ability to open it up and replace/swap out the blade.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
dahulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
yes you can......but it does require opening up the fob.....there is a single screw that holds the key in. I have seen pictures of one opened. since there is a BATTERY in the fob, the dealer will have the ability to open it up and replace/swap out the blade.

Is it something that I can do?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
There is a bulletin on how to order pre cut keys if they don't have the cutter.

You can take the back off your key fob by opening the key, then prying the lower back piece with your finger. The owner's manual tells how to get to the battery that way. That will at least get part of the back off to access the battery, not sure if the key is then accessible.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote