Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
Onstar? Worth Renewal or not?

what do you guys think? i mean 200 bucks is a big buck for something i BARELY use...how many of you guys still use it or have renew the subscription? how many of us really use it alot or such?

the most use i got for it was for test on my car how it was doing and codes.
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Not woth the money. Too expensive. GM should have included this option in the price and then every one would be connected, and they could have made a plan to pay upon usage. 1 door unlock = $$$.
montreal2010yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
no
Old 12-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
OnStar is a good thing if it's your daily driver and live in a high crime area or big city. Or if you do A LOT of traveling.

If not, it's a HUGE waste of money.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Chobbs11
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro LS
USAA offers a discount to driveway that have onstar
Chobbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I'm facing the same thing coming up in January. I know I won't be getting the turn by turn navigation package. I'm not sure about the other. I might get the security version (whatever it's called where they can unlock the doors and shut the car down if stolen), but maybe for just the months I'm driving it.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
$29 a month for turn by turn... no. (maybe for a month or so if you're traveling to unfamiliar territory)
$19 a month for the safe & sound... yes only if your auto insurance discount is $200+ for having a locating alarm/recovery system installed.
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
I have the mobile app, which is bad ass. Tells me me tank level of gas, tire pressure, oil life, unlock my car without giving key to girlfriend. Its 18.00 something a month once your trial period ends and for navigation like 28 bucks. I dont need navigation because of my phone plan with sprint although it does look cool in the car.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I renewed but only for the emergency services...I left the navigation out, as that has proven worthless during my 1 year free trial. I ended up buying a Garmin Nuvi the other day, even though I have an Android. The reason? Google maps won't always update, and I drive in areas that are out of coverage of cell towers often enough that having a dedicated GPS was worthwhile.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
for me through gmac its worth it. Its only my toy.....they do a mileage tracking, having it has decreased my insurance 150$ every 6 months....so it basically comes out free to have it for me.
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
OnStar is a good thing if it's your daily driver and live in a high crime area or big city. Or if you do A LOT of traveling.

If not, it's a HUGE waste of money.
I agree with the first for emergency services, but I've found that the OnStar navigation people are clueless, at least here in Washington State. They never know the town names. They are all from the east, and totally ignorant of town names here. Not only that, but I have run into numerous times where the address was out of date and they have sent me to the wrong place or to the middle of nowhere. Seriously, I wanted to go to a Sonic one evening, and thought it was in Puyallup somewhere, and they sent me into the middle of nowhere.

One time, I was asking for an address to Pacific Raceway, and even gave them an address. The guy spent more than 5 minutes trying to set up the route, and by about minute 5 I got out my Android, told him I was looking it up there, used voice search to "Directions to Pacific Raceway", which popped up with the correct route in less than a minute. I did this while explaining to the rep what I was doing, and how much of a fail he was going to have if my PHONE was able to get a route faster than him. It did, and I hope to hell that call was recorded, because OnStar should be EMBARRASSED to have that kind of service.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
I renewed and got the Safe and Sound plan.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
CruiseControl

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
While I love the service and comfort of knowing it's there, the cost is just not worth it IMO. For the $300+/year you could get a annual CAA/AAA membership (which gives you much more than just roadside assistance), a Garmin, and lifetime map updates. Then you just need to renew your CAA (or AAA) membership. The only way I could justify that kinda dough on Onstar is if I was a dinosaur with no cell phone and on the road all the time.

It's also dissapointing that Google Maps to Onstar and the iPhone app aren't available in Canada.

IMHO Onstar should include a free lifetime membership with all new GM vehicles. I realize this would likely increase the cost of a new car but if you built it in to every vehicle, GM would likely make more money from the service as they wouldn't have everyone cancel after their trial; and the costs would be much less overall for the user. Plus it would be a major selling feature over the competition. Make it non-transferrable so if you buy it used, you have the option of buying a lifetime membership as well.

Short of that, without trying to sound like a total low-baller, I would maybe pay $5-$10/mo. $30 - no way.
CruiseControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
no way. too expensive. i've got a cel phone and aaa for emergencies.