Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #309
CJ1034

Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM Manual
ZL1 Price

The LSA is really a Cadillac engine. GM routinly has lifted one divisions engine and put it in another. The direct competioion in GM with the ZL1 is the CTS-V coupe which has a base price of about 55k. GM will not outprice the Cadillac under any circumstances. Who ever heard of a base Chevrolet costing more than a base Cadillac? So you can bet your bottom dollar on the price being somewhere between the Mustang GT 500 price and the Cadillac one.

On another note. I love the car and plan on getting one. Already looking to part with some toys to do so. I also got the 2012ZL1 plate for my truck, which I'm trading in to help with the cost. On the engine, good choice to compete with Ford.....But the original ZL1 had an aluminum block 427. Wouldn't the LS7 427 from the Z06 have been a better choice. I could see them now parked together, a COPO 427 uber rare 1969 ZL1 next to the new kid. But, I guess we'll just have to settle for a measley old supercharged 550hp car instead.
CJ1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #310
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1034 View Post
The LSA is really a Cadillac engine. GM routinly has lifted one divisions engine and put it in another. The direct competioion in GM with the ZL1 is the CTS-V coupe which has a base price of about 55k. GM will not outprice the Cadillac under any circumstances. Who ever heard of a base Chevrolet costing more than a base Cadillac? So you can bet your bottom dollar on the price being somewhere between the Mustang GT 500 price and the Cadillac one.

On another note. I love the car and plan on getting one. Already looking to part with some toys to do so. I also got the 2012ZL1 plate for my truck, which I'm trading in to help with the cost. On the engine, good choice to compete with Ford.....But the original ZL1 had an aluminum block 427. Wouldn't the LS7 427 from the Z06 have been a better choice. I could see them now parked together, a COPO 427 uber rare 1969 ZL1 next to the new kid. But, I guess we'll just have to settle for a measley old supercharged 550hp car instead.

CTS-V coupe starts at around 63K......
Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #311
MikeW
Bowtie Brotherhood

Drives: 04 Blazer ZR2, 2010 2SS/RS
There are plenty of Chevrolets that cost more than Cadillacs. These would include most of the Corvettes, some of the trucks and SUVs as well.
The reality is that the ZL1 is a high performance vehicle that will be priced accordingly.
My guess would be mid-fifties. Also, since there will be a limited supply, the dealers will probably add $10k on top of sticker. And you know what, GM will sell every one they make, cause there are planty of people with the $$ to buy them.
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #312
Paulster2

Drives: 94 Z28 M6 TT Red
Something I've been wondering is whether GM will offer an LS3 version of the ZL1. What I'm getting at is all of the performance upgrades of the ZL1 besides the LSA engine. This could be a great basis for quite a supercar which the owner could tweak their own way with less of a chance of breaking something, and be quite a bit cheaper than a full blown ZL1. As a SWAG, I'd bet the LSA is probably another $5k over the LS3 (I haven't checked crate engine prices to get a feel for the difference of the two). I would bet this could be a popular option amongst enthusiasts, while not costing GM anything as they already have the engineering and specific parts done for the 5th Gen (or will have when they actually start offering the ZL1 for sale). Well, I guess they would have to badge it differently ... could this be a Z28?
Paulster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #313
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulster2 View Post
Something I've been wondering is whether GM will offer an LS3 version of the ZL1. What I'm getting at is all of the performance upgrades of the ZL1 besides the LSA engine. This could be a great basis for quite a supercar which the owner could tweak their own way with less of a chance of breaking something, and be quite a bit cheaper than a full blown ZL1. As a SWAG, I'd bet the LSA is probably another $5k over the LS3 (I haven't checked crate engine prices to get a feel for the difference of the two). I would bet this could be a popular option amongst enthusiasts, while not costing GM anything as they already have the engineering and specific parts done for the 5th Gen (or will have when they actually start offering the ZL1 for sale). Well, I guess they would have to badge it differently ... could this be a Z28?
My guess is they will offer a similar car with a different engine -- under a different name.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #314
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulster2 View Post
LSA Crate: $17,500
LS3 Crate: $7,650
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #315
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
My guess is they will offer a similar car with a different engine -- under a different name.
Can you say....Z28
Old 03-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #316
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Can you say....Z28
I never said that #3 didn't either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Forged wheels may offer a reduction. But GM has some pretty severe wheel requirements. I know shopping for my Sky I can find some "race" wheels that save about 8 pounds per wheel. But race means no potholes.

Manual seats for sure, but only a few pounds. I know my Sky has power height on the driver side, but manual for all others. So that can work.

I will let Pedders or Pfadt comment on this. My first instinct is they actually weigh a bit more. But that is a factless observation. Pedders Note: Xa coilovers are about 16 pounds lighter and the Supercars are about the same as OE

I haven't seen the EPS mass. ZL1 has EPS, SS doesn't so if it weighs less it's good. Plus better FE.

LS7 is for sure more power and awesomeness. But just big bucks due to the manual build in Wixom. I'd hope for a nice LS3 bump. Problem there is you now make the LS7 obsolete. Why pay big bucks for 505 when you can get 450+ for much less.

Gearing something that I think could add an immediate benefit. Honestly not sure why we haven't tapped into this.

I like your numbers, which would require the LS7.

I think your cost is ok, but not with the LS7 which is the contradiction.

But for me, here is what I would do to drop the weight and still have a car pleasant to drive every day.

Start with a 1SS

Eliminate all engine covers and plastic in the engine compartment. If it isn't moving fuel or coolant..............gone.

Manual seats.

No fog lamps. No LS filler. Just a simple fascia.

No mail slot.

No floor mats. (optional on 1SS anyway??)

No trunk trim, no flat load floor, no spare, no inflator. Just a can of fix a flat.

No folding rear seat. Yes, I want a rear seat or I'd just buy a Corvette. But I don't need latches and pull strap to fold it down on very rare occasions.

I'd remove some but not all NVH treatments. Lighter dash matt, reduced mastic materials on the body.

Eliminate the push/push fuel door and add the finger cup back in. This eliminates the push pin mechanism.

Smaller bare bones console. Simple arm rest in between the seats.

No power passenger side rear view mirror.

Go to a 15 gallon fuel tank. Saves full tank of fuel mass and also just a smaller, lighter tank.

Thinner glass for windshield, doors, back light and quarter glass.

That might, and I'm guessing save 50 pounds, not counting the reduction of 3 gallons of gas (an extra 20 pounds)

Adds:

Carbon fiber hood

Titanium exhaust (C5 Z06)

Glass Matt battery (bad for performance, but good for mass)

Magnesium front cradle (C6 Z06)

Low mass race wheels (C5 had titanium but wouldn't go quite that far)

Again, guessing a bit, you might save another 100 pounds.

So total reduced weight 150 pounds over a 1SS.

If at all possible, get the Wixom LS3 (reported to make more power) and add tweak it where possible. Only asking for 450 at the crank.

Now add the suspension improvements from the ZL1 minus MR shocks.

Widen the front tires to help understeer.

Now you have a slightly lighter, slightly more powerful and slightly better handling car.

That will likely not get your 0 - 60 in 4.0 seconds or 12 second 1/4, but might make the rest of your numbers.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #317
Paulster2

Drives: 94 Z28 M6 TT Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Much more succinct, but exactly what I was getting at.
Paulster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #318
geminidreams

Drives: ABM 2LT / RS
I really do want one >.

If it were in ABM I would be in heaven....
Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #319
alex33x

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I dont think it'll be over 50k, I doubt it'll be more expensive than a regular corvette.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #320
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex33x View Post
I dont think it'll be over 50k, I doubt it'll be more expensive than a regular corvette.
I am looking at your mod list. How much do you have in your Camaro? No need to answer. It is a rhetorical question.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #321
JerseyMonte

Drives: 1972 Z28
Saw it on the Chevy /Camaro website

No specs or prices
Can't wait I am going to my dealer
to see if he has any info.
My 10 SS/RS has only 3k but
I may do it
JerseyMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #322
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
I'm really hoping to see MSRP come in under 50K.

Just an FYI, prior to the announcement of the ZL1, I saw a 2011 GT500 with a MSRP of $55,000 with a dealer mark up to $70,000.

2 weeks after the announcement of the ZL1, this car was offered to me at $51,000 (below MSRP!) Another dealership near my house offered me a hugger blue GT500 for about the same below MSRP (this one was offered at $49,000).

So, the best thing that could happen for us is that Shelby ups the HP as a reaction to this new Chevy and the competition keeps the price below the 50K mark. (maybe wishful thinking, but a guy can hope, can't he?)
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote