Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #29
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMikes View Post
I have automatic 2010 Camaro ss
Only thing I have in my car is Diablo predator programmer and exhaust
Here's the story: the other day I was driving my car in manual mode, gas peddle to the floor, and when I shifted, it kinda felt like....the clutch was held in too long or.something, I can't explain it, but I'm worried my transmission is going bad, it.only has 17,000 miles

Does anyone know if I can take it to the dealer without them putting a big stamp on my name that ssays WARRANTY VOIDED!!!
if they do say my warranty is voided, does that go out for all dealers or only that one?
As per my resources, The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage or failure resulting from modification, alteration or suspected tampering, to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors. I hope this information was helpful.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #30
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Has anyone ever confirmed that the dealEr was able to trace the change on the ECM? This has always been a gray topic with most manufacturers. Before my Camaro I had a Subaru STI that was fully modified and tuned and before the dealership visit I used to return to stock and never had an issue. The dealer in most cases knew it was tuned due to the upgrades it had and just the fact that you won't see a Subaru on the road that hasn't been upgraded. Where I'm getting at is that I have never had an issue getting an issue fixed under warranty. My last issue with the Subaru was a blown intercooler due to over boost and you would assume that it wouldn't be covered but they did along with other items that were most likely caused by my aftermarket parts and tune.

I am really having a hard time getting headers and a tune because I dont know much about GM and whether they can catch an ECM change or of they would flat out void warranty. Subaru may have bee different since its uncommon to see a bone stock WRX/STI on the rd. haha
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #31
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
My friend works at a Cadillac/Chevy dealership in the north east. He has told me that there is no way you can escape detection of a tune on these cars - period. There are instances when they do not check the ECM and that's only when the repair procedure does not call for it. However, if you bring in a car that appears shady and/or modded they will instantly check the ECM. As someone else already mentioned, the dealer invoices GM for warranty work. If the dealership does not submit every item required for the repair, the dealership will be denied payment.

The bottom line is that GM has excellent engineers who understand the aftermarket and how to prevent abuse to their ECM. Some engineers even frequent forums such as this in order to do risk intelligence. No one is pulling the sheets over their heads.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #32
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Got to pay to play. I don't expect GM to cover broken parts in my suspension since I'm modded with coilovers just as I don't expect them to cover any broken parts involved with a tune.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #33
EliteCZM523

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
To be able to deny any warranty claim, they have to prove that the failure was a DIRECT result of the modified item. See following link for further clarification: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

That being said, in a GM dealership, the tech will likely be using a MDI when they look at your vehicle, the first screen they will come to will show a history of CVN's. CVN stands for Calibration Verification Number. This number is basically a hexidecimal checksum, which if you alter the programming by even one bit will be different. There are ways to "cheat" that screen, but there is currently no known way to circumvent the flash counter.

To my knowledge, just the flash count is stored (last 10), not the actual tune file. Also, dealerships do not have the ability to actually read out a tune file to see what is actually in it, they can just tell if it is a stock calibration or not.

If you have access to EFI Live, or happen to have a Tech 2 or MDI, you can read your CVN's, they should match what is listed on this site here:
http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

Plug in your VIN number, and it will tell you what CVN's are supposed to be in there for your car.

Hope this helps clarify
EliteCZM523 is offline   Reply With Quote