Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
LevSS

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Boston Acoustics Speaker

Hi everybody! I've been lurking here for quite a while, even before I purchased my 2011 IOM 2SS and have always found tons of useful info on the board. Hate for my first post to be a request, but I here it goes..

Took my car into the dealer to get the left rear speaker replaced b/c it was blown. When I go to pick it up, I notice a difference in sound between the left and right. The replaced speaker is noticeably weaker in bass and overall sound. I asked them if they were sure it was the right one and they assured me it was. It was replaced with part #20984302.. And when I go to google it, it seems like that's just the stock speaker. I can't find the part # for a rear Boston Acoustics speaker anywhere. Is that the right part # and could it be something else attributing to the sound difference? Or is there a part # I can give them to make sure I get a BA speaker? Just doesn't sound the same! I hope someone out there can help!
LevSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
B@tman

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS M6
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116019

It's the same speaker with the same part number, BA is 2ohm and regular is 4ohm, your speaker might not be hooked up to the factory amp somehow.

I really have no idea though....
B@tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
You know there is an audio section? I blew through both Boston
6 X 9's and even if under warranty, you'd be better off just buying better quality.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
LevSS

Sorry, I forgot about the audio section.. If I could move it there, I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@tman View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116019

It's the same speaker with the same part number, BA is 2ohm and regular is 4ohm, your speaker might not be hooked up to the factory amp somehow.

I really have no idea though....
Thanks for the link. It looks like that OP was referring to the front speakers when saying they were the same part #. They then go on to say how different the rear speakers are. I magnified the pics of the rear speakers to get a look at the part #'s, but neither match the part # they put on the paperwork.. After looking at the pics, the stock speaker looks a lot smaller than the BA. Went and looked in the trunk and they look to be the same size.. Must be something else? Not sure.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
B@tman

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS M6
Is it the driver side 6x9 ?

Check to see if all the wires are connected exactly the same as the passenger side 6x9
B@tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Splashlife

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Does it cost to get a speaker replaced or is it under warranty?
Splashlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
I've read about a lot of blown speakers. How does it happen? Radio all the way up? Bass all the way up? Or is it just from moderate volume say 20 or 25 on the volume display. I have the BA sound and I'm just wondering what I have to do to avoid blowing out speakers.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashlife View Post
Does it cost to get a speaker replaced or is it under warranty?
It costs your TIME at the dealership.

You take it in. They insist on "checking it out" themselves. (Got to charge that warranty time to GM).

I waited. Almost two hours later, they pull my car up and tell me it IS blown and they have to order it.

When it comes in, another trip to the dealership. ANOTHER two hours waiting for them to replace it.

Two trips. Four hours. No thanks.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
[QUOTE=B@tman;4948425]http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116019

I really have no idea though....[/QUOTE

if this the case, your speaker is drawing only 1/2 the power from the amp(4ohm resistance vs 2 ohms), thus sounding like 1/2 the volume.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
I've read about a lot of blown speakers. How does it happen? Radio all the way up? Bass all the way up? Or is it just from moderate volume say 20 or 25 on the volume display. I have the BA sound and I'm just wondering what I have to do to avoid blowing out speakers.
Regular use, in my experience. I don't rely on the rear speakers for bass. I installed a sub amp and box for that.

All the rear speakers have/had do was normal volume and bass.

I kept the BA speakers when I upgraded and installed the sub. Live and learn.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
The BA speakers are crap IMO. They will be replaced with Alpines!

It would have been nice if they would have at least went with the Bose system that is in the Tahoes.

RADAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrchris View Post
The BA speakers are crap IMO. They will be replaced with Alpines!

It would have been nice if they would have at least went with the Bose system that is in the Tahoes.

I second that.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
Ya, didn't mean to get off the original topic there. If you are noticing a difference in sound quality then I would suggest just replacing them with a better brand.... Save the hassle of wasting time at the dealer etc. etc.

Unless, of course, you are wanting to keep everything factory...

Heck, I would offer you mine but I just got the car..! New speakers and sub is on the to do list though...

RADAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
LevSS

Yea they r still under warranty so I figure I'll get them to replace for free (paying my time of course) and if they blow after that I'll just go better quality. It just went for no real reason though, I don't max out the volume ever.

After looking into my speaker problem again, I couldn't really figure out what was going on.. Looked like the same speaker and that it was installed correctly from what I could tell. Then took another look at the paperwork.. The tech's note says he replaced the RIGHT speaker, not the left! Going in there on Monday to give them a piece of my mind and get the left one replaced. UGH!!