Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
sac130e

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS BRM
Apex Catch Can Install Question

Will be installing the Apex catch can soon, but have question concerning the PVC hose to remove. The instructions state once you remove the PVC lines. I have the L99 and there is only ONE line to remove, correct?
The line starts back at the fire wall on driver side and follow it up to the engine and that's it? Just that ONE line to remove, and the TWO that go back on with the can. The one from the firewall to top of can, and then the one from side of can to the other end of the original PVC connection on the front engine side?
Thx for the help and info.

Scott
sac130e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
You got it. Installed mine this week same way.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post
Will be installing the Apex catch can soon, but have question concerning the PVC hose to remove. The instructions state once you remove the PVC lines. I have the L99 and there is only ONE line to remove, correct?
The line starts back at the fire wall on driver side and follow it up to the engine and that's it? Just that ONE line to remove, and the TWO that go back on with the can. The one from the firewall to top of can, and then the one from side of can to the other end of the original PVC connection on the front engine side?
Thx for the help and info.

Scott
Correct. I'll see if I can find that wording and have it clarified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie killer View Post
You got it. Installed mine this week same way.
Thank you both for your order. Be sure to post some pictures of you install.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Catch can was a breeze to install and I liked the professional look of the black stainless hose with the polished AN fittings.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie killer View Post
Catch can was a breeze to install and I liked the professional look of the black stainless hose with the polished AN fittings.
Congrats on the upgrade! It looks great with the stainless fittings. You can take a razor blade a trim that excess thread tape off to clean it up a bit. Now all that is left is to put a few hundred miles on it and see what you kept out of your intake.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
sac130e

Installed mine today, but have a question on the connections on the engine. The hose only slide up to the flanges on the engine part, is it supposed to go over the flanges? I tightened the clamps as much as possible, and it feels tight, but the hose still will rotate on the flange, is this normal? (see pics). Just wondering if these hose connections will work their way off from vibration over time...but all-in-all..looks great.

Scott
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

I had a bear of a time on mine too. The flanged section is where the old style OEM connection would lock on since it was not held by any clamping device. Even with the OEM connection it would spin but the locking connection held it in place. I coated mine with some light oil and even heated up the hose with a heat gun and got the rear to snug up good but I couldnt get the front connection to go all the way down either. There was just not of hand room to get a good grip and force it all the way home. I just tightened the "snot out of the clamp" and it seems to be ok. I think it will be ok but it wont hurt to check it after a week or so to be sure.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
sac130e

Never thought of heating it up, but I don't see how the hose can slide over that flange...maybe APEX will chime in and clarify if the hose is supposed to go over the flange and seat all the way down...or like the pics, that's it.

Thx
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Heating the hose helps as does using soapy water or some other lubricant. If you can get it over the flange that is great but it is not critical. The hose is pretty secure as is and the clamps are extra insurance. The hoses are not exposed to a lot of stress so they are not going anywhere.