Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #43
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
I was just telling you where to get it if you wanted some. Lets not get into a conversation about wasting money.
Tom, are you talking about your Hennessey CAI?
I have a New Fastlane CAI, that I know makes good horsepower,
Let me know if you want to buy it.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #44
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
Colorado Springs is over 6000 ft. and the correction factor on these
pulls was 1.28

Jannetty, your dyno probably has a correction factor too, at least it should.
Dynojet always has a correction factor. That's why you can go to two different Dynojet dynos and almost always get the same numbers.
We did a very conservative tune in order to be safe at sea level also. Otherwise the HP numbers would have been closer to 650.
It does but it hangs around .996 to 1.006 since I sit at 425 ft. above sea level, I hope your correction factor is a typo, correcting up from actual HP 28% is a bit High I believe.

I don't think you lose 28% at your altitude but I am not sure.

I also WONDER if the Blower Skews that correction factor since it is artificial ATMOSPHERE.

Congradulations on a Beautiful Build.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 11-15-2009 at 10:25 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #45
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
I had the chance to take a ride along with Don yesterday....And wholly shit! This is one of the best SC setups I have ever been in...The drivability is great and when jumped on you better hold on to you jock...Wow smooth and so freaking fast. This car is a hair away from needing a rollbar to race but so freaking hot I suggested putting one in for saftey anyway. Stealth...OMG I told Don I cant wait to see the fools in the 70K GT500's cry when he walks away from them and their factory set cars.

Kudos to the boys in the springs that set this up and made it happen. If you need another test car that never goes to sea level tell Don to get in touch with me.....Best I have seen by far. Oh and Don did not point out the autographs on his engine cover...Al Oppenhiemer and John Fitzpatrick. Bet they would love to see this engine now....lmao Larry
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #46
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Tom, are you talking about your Hennessey CAI?
I have a New Fastlane CAI, that I know makes good horsepower,
Let me know if you want to buy it.
Yeah pretty much so...what are you selling it for?
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #47
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
I had the chance to take a ride along with Don yesterday....And wholly shit! This is one of the best SC setups I have ever been in...The drivability is great and when jumped on you better hold on to you jock...Wow smooth and so freaking fast. This car is a hair away from needing a rollbar to race but so freaking hot I suggested putting one in for saftey anyway. Stealth...OMG I told Don I cant wait to see the fools in the 70K GT500's cry when he walks away from them and their factory set cars.

Kudos to the boys in the springs that set this up and made it happen. If you need another test car that never goes to sea level tell Don to get in touch with me.....Best I have seen by far. Oh and Don did not point out the autographs on his engine cover...Al Oppenhiemer and John Fitzpatrick. Bet they would love to see this engine now....lmao Larry
wow u r still alive,good to hear from you again
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #48
mtcwby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
It does but it hangs around .996 to 1.006 since I sit at 425 ft. above sea level, I hope your correction factor is a typo, correcting up from actual HP 28% is a bit High I believe.

I don't think you lose 28% at your altitude but I am not sure.

I also WONDER if the Blower Skews that correction factor since it is artificial ATMOSPHERE.

Congradulations on a Beautiful Build.

Ted.
No, Ted the 28% is not a typo, and it can't be tampered with. It is built into the dyno. And yes we lose 28% at this altitude. That's only figuring in a 4.5% loss per 1000 ft in altitude. Which is conservative. We are at 6300+ ft.
where the dyno sits. We are right at the base of Pikes Peak which is over 14,000 ft. This is Colorado, ever been here driving a car, you'll understand. You will be taking your car to the mechanic wondering what happened to all your power.

Last edited by mtcwby; 11-15-2009 at 02:16 PM.
mtcwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #49
Mike@RMCR

Drives: Supercharged
The 28% loss is legit. We have verified this with several other machines including Superflow and Mustang and they are all the same.

We have seen though the same HP on our 1050 RWHP 2003 Texas mile car. It will make within 1% of the corrected HP it makes up here, when we run it in Texas before the mile runs. A testimate to Dynojets accuracy

Our Dynojet has a normal SAE correction of 26 to 28 percent.

Mike
Mike@RMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #50
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCR View Post
The 28% loss is legit. We have verified this with several other machines including Superflow and Mustang and they are all the same.

We have seen though the same HP on our 1050 RWHP 2003 Texas mile car. It will make within 1% of the corrected HP it makes up here, when we run it in Texas before the mile runs. A testimate to Dynojets accuracy

Our Dynojet has a normal SAE correction of 26 to 28 percent.

Mike
Wow! Thanks Mike, I knew they lost power but I thought is was only 3% per 1000 FT. above sea level, which would be 18.9%

Ted.

I found this, and I think the correction factor is less once you throw in Artificial atomosphere i.e. supercharger or turbo.

Altitude and Engine Performance

Sea Level: Units of Pressure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inches of Mercury = (in. Hg.)
Atmospheres = (atm)
Kilopascal = (kpa)
Millibars = (mb)

Pressure equivalents to: 1.0 atm = 29.9 in. Hg. = 760 mm Hg. = 101.3 kPa = 1013.25 mb

Atmospheric Pressure = 14.7 psi & 13 cubic feet of air = 1 pound

Power Loss due to Altitude
Air Density decreases at a rate of 2.9% - 3.0% for each 1000 ft. of elevation above Sea Level. See Standard Atmosphere below for background information.

Naturally Aspirated: Atmospheric Pressure 14.5 psi (It's hard to ride at sea level 14.7 psi)
Atmospheric Pressure @ 9000 feet = 10.5 psi
Pressure Loss = (14.5 - 10.5) = 4.0 (4.0/14.5) = 27.58 % @ 9,000 feet

Does a Turbo lose power with altitude? Yes!
Atmospheric Pressure = 14.5 psi, Boost = 10 psi, Total Pressure = 24.5
Atmospheric Pressure @ 9000 feet = 10.5 psi + Boost of 10 psi = Total 20.5 psi

Approximate Pressure Loss = (24.5 - 20.5) = 4.0 (4.0/24.5) = 16.32 % @ 9,000 feet
The power loss due to altitude is much less with the Turbo. The critical difference is that you can flip the switch on the Turbo to 15 lbs boost and get your sea level HP!!

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 11-15-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #51
JANNETTYRACING

Please understand, I am just discussing this for My own Education you guys did a great job and the results are well AWESOME.

I am only 425 FT above Sea Level so I have no experience at altitude.

Respectfully
Ted.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #52
mtcwby

Altitude isn't the only factor that computes into the correction factor.
There's also Barometric pressure, Humidity and Temperature.
All I know is that the HP numbers that they get at RMCR have been duplicated
(within 1%) on a Dynojet Dyno in Texas when they take their car to the
Texas Mile. So it must be very accurate.

Ted, If you want to pay for it, find me a dyno around Yuma, AZ and I'll check it again at
120 ft. above sea level. I'm heading there on Tuesday and I'll be there for three weeks.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #53
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Altitude isn't the only factor that computes into the correction factor.
There's also Barometric pressure, Humidity and Temperature.
All I know is that the HP numbers that they get at RMCR have been duplicated
(within 1%) on a Dynojet Dyno in Texas when they take their car to the
Texas Mile. So it must be very accurate.

Ted, If you want to pay for it, find me a dyno around Yuma, AZ and I'll check it again at
120 ft. above sea level. I'm heading there on Tuesday and I'll be there for three weeks.
I hope your not getting upset with me, This Line of Questioning is Strictly for my own education since i have NO experience At Altitude.

I always refer to Math and the Laws of Physics because there is no disputing them.

My Research Shows 2.9-3% Per 1000 Ft Elevation for Naturally Asparated and about 1.8% per 1000 FT, for Boosted Applications.

This 1.8% may only be for Turbos since they are self compensating via the wastegate, I like to look in to this further and discuss this further regarding Superchargers at altitude.

At 6300 FT 1.1827 Correction factor is what the math shows for N/A.

I expect your car will make 10.1 PSI Boost at Sea Level with your current Pulley, since Gauges are Calibrated at Sea Level and your starting with about a 2.6 PSI pressure deficit at 6300 ft.

I am Curious if the Dyno manifold pressure guage is Calibrated (Zeroed) at Sea Level or Current altitude.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 11-19-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #54
Hyp
I've been lost...

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS/RS W/IOM LSA Swap
This is going to sound very stupid but i never knew superchargers used BOVs. Do they sound like a turbo BOV going off?
Hyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #55
Mike@RMCR

Drives: Supercharged
Depends. At less than 10lbs you can barley hear them. This kit comes standard with a 500+ cfm Race Bypass from Vortech. This valve at 18lbs of boost is extremely louder.

We use this same valve on the larger V-7 YSi blower as well. Its nice that Vortech sends a valve that can be used on higher HP settings as well.
Mike@RMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #56
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
This is going to sound very stupid but i never knew superchargers used BOVs. Do they sound like a turbo BOV going off?
I've had Centri S/C (Paxton on Z06) and TT. The BOV on S/C does not sound as dramatic as Turbo, because they make boost linear and not a sudden one like turbo. On some Certies, no never even hear it but Turbo it's hard to hide it :-)
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote