Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
bn324

Drives: 2011 2SS
More Horsepower and Transmision Question

I have a 2011 SS 6 speed. Someone told me I could get more power
by tuning with a lap top. Has anyone heard of this? And can I bypass
the 1st to 4th shifting? its really getting on my nerves. Thanks.
bn324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn324 View Post
I have a 2011 SS 6 speed. Someone told me I could get more power
by tuning with a lap top. Has anyone heard of this? And can I bypass
the 1st to 4th shifting? its really getting on my nerves. Thanks.
Yes, you can get more power from tuning the car. You can also get rid of CAGS (the skip-shift you're talking about).
Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
I think that the tuning with a laptop is the same as a dyno tune. Although you probably need special connections and programs. You would also need to know what you're doing since a tune could mess up your car if its not done right. I would recommend you to get a tune from the trusted vendors here, although a tune will void your warranty.

There is something called "skip shift eliminator" which will remove the skip shifting and not void warranty. Its less than $50 I believe.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
bn324

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Yes, you can get more power from tuning the car. You can also get rid of CAGS (the skip-shift you're talking about).

Thanks. Do you know where I can get the computer program? And will this void my warrenty? And how much power can i gain?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn324 View Post
Thaknks. Do you know where I can get the computer program? And will this void my warrenty? And how much power can i gain?
HP Tuners is the program - but I highly suggest letting a professional do it as you can really mess up your car if you don't know what you're doing.

Yes, tuning your car will completely void your power train warranty.

On a stock M6? Maybe 20 ish?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
bn324

Thanks for the info. I will wait for the warranty to run out.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
HP Tuners is the program - but I highly suggest letting a professional do it as you can really mess up your car if you don't know what you're doing.

Yes, tuning your car will completely void your power train warranty.

On a stock M6? Maybe 20 ish?
Yup...ditto.

There is also a plug in harness thingy that'll disable skip-shift...it's only around $15.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
redredrage

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Hey the car has plenty of power as is...... I'd fill with an e85 mix and perform fuse pull to ensure high octane table is set.

I'm guessing I'm getting an extra 40 horse from the drop in k&n filter and e85 with out voiding warenty and saving something like $6 a fillup all the while feeling better about using that oil life sensor since ethanol is much cleaner for my engine
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by redredrage View Post
Hey the car has plenty of power as is...... I'd fill with an e85 mix and perform fuse pull to ensure high octane table is set.

I'm guessing I'm getting an extra 40 horse from the drop in k&n filter and e85 with out voiding warenty and saving something like $6 a fillup all the while feeling better about using that oil life sensor since ethanol is much cleaner for my engine
Don't you have to tune the SS so it'll take E85? And if you're using an E85 mix without tuning isn't that basically the same as rubbing a low octane fuel?

Not trying to be rude, I'm honestly curious.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
redredrage

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Quote:
Don't you have to tune the SS so it'll take E85? And if you're using an E85 mix without tuning isn't that basically the same as rubbing a low octane fuel?

Not trying to be rude, I'm honestly curious.
Hey no problem, alot of people give the generic warnings. (tune, running lean, and the all mighty rubber seals/gaskets)

Totally fine, most every day consumers shouldn't concern them selfs, when premium is readily available but since this is an enthusiest forum I figured I'd put it out there.... Oh and while I was in Iowa E85 was at every pump next to the gasoline pump and clearly supported farmers.

No tune is needed to a point..... the computer adjusts "long term fuel trim within a matter of 10 seconds and the actual short term fuel trim is adjusted instantaionly based on O2 sensor readings" (the car opens the fuel injector valve to dump more fuel within limits before throwing a code to account for vaccum leaks and the expectation that ethanol will be added to fuel)

I validated that the car was infact dumping more fuel by using TORQUE on my android phone and ELM327. long term fuel trims ranged from 8 to 10 depending on mix.

The point of the mix is to use the cheaper low octaine fuel and even more cheaper E85 and to put the mix at 93-94 octane. E85 is 102.5 octane....

The mix burns cooler, cleaner and produces far less polutants than conventional 93 octane fuel.

I'd suggest 6 gallons of e85 with 9.5-10 gallons of 87.

Or in the states where 89 is chapest because of the 10% ethanol, 5 gallons of e85 with 10-11 gallons of 89 octane fuel.

My experience is based soley on the 2010 LS3 and 50,000 miles.
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
Alvin@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 IOM RSS
E85 is an awesome fuel. We picked up 80 rwhp going from 113 to out of the pump E85.

It was on this car. Made 948 rwhp on 15 pounds a few days ago on $2.80 gas! We love it. Car runs, drives, smells better.

The car absolutely must be tuned for it. The only problem with E85 is finding it around here! Hopefully that will change one day !

Alvin@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
BLov11

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 1LT
Not sure how true but I've been hearing more bad then good about E85
http://articles.mcall.com/2012-05-31...l-vehicles-e15
BLov11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
I have an e85 tune and a 93 octane tune, you do NOT want to rely on the ecm to learn fuel trims and rely on carrying fuel trims into wot. The problem with running e85 mix without tuning isn't the octane, it's the ethanol content. The ecm needs to be tuned to run at higher ethanol levels 10 or 15%. Plus e85 is harder to burn than conventional fuels, so it takes more spark advance to get more power out of it.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote