Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Glad to hear all is well with your new system.
GREAT photos...

Do they have a system for the V6...?
If not When ?

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #16
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97one View Post
GREAT photos...

Do they have a system for the V6...?
If not When ?

We want to get started on it soon...we just need to come up with a little time! Here's a pic of our G8 V6 system. It makes good power, looks cool and sounds great.

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #17
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
I got one in the paint shop and will hopefully post it this weekend, once I do the install.

It's going on an L99 w/corsa cat-back ehxaust only. If I new of local dyno, I would do it.

I have to say the packaging of the unit was A+. Everything arrived in pristeen condition. Not only is the design sound, Roto-Fab is right all the way through the process!
Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #18
d69chris
Florida C5

Add my name to the list of HAPPY customers of Roto-Fab CAI's.

Why Roto-Fab? Good customer service, excellent product (plastic or metal), packaging, & fitment, mates up well to HP adding devices (future mod). If there are differences in CAI's, I believe they will be small and overcome by
$$ 1K of greenbacks!

Easy to follow color instructions, packaged hardware by usage, foam packed unit in box to avoid damage. Went together in under 1.5 hrs.

I will say instructions said to pull stock air box straight up and there will be some resistance........back studs gromet was pinched during install at factory and it was like screwed on. Resistance stopped when removing when plastic mounting ear decided to give up the fight! Had to unscrew the rubber gromet and metal washer. Not Roto-Fabs fault. Just something to watch for.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #19
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
NICE !! I like how you modified the engine cover. That looks great and reduces any heat trapped underneath. I would like to see more details on this mod.

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
Nxtr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Looks good...

I have a question though, aside from the looks it seems to me that the oem intake with a high flow filter would be just as good. if not better. I say this in respect to the "cold air" part of the setup, or am I missing something here?

V/R,
Nick
Old 09-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Noice
Old 09-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
d69chris
Florida C5

Looks, sound, and performance!

A good set of headers will get you a 15hp gain for around $600 plus installation. $400 or less for 10hp is a deal! Exhaust cat-back might get you another 12 for $1200. Less restrictions in air flow thought system = +HP. All the way from where it sucks it up to where it blows it out.

You will read claims of 10-20 hp gain with CAI's (Cold Air Intake). I would figure 10 to be conservative. Some people have posted that they only got 10hp gain with one of the mfgs on here that is wanting to challenge all comers. I think their air filter is a little on the small side. There box also allows for more eng. compartment(hot) air to get into the filter pick up area with holes and loose fitment to fender well.

Air and water will only travel as fast as the most constricting point will allow. Sprinkler systems are designed with 2 inch trunk line feeding water to 1/2 delivery lines and all the sprinkler get the water they need. Try pushing water through a 1/2 inch line into a 2 inch. The 1/2 limits the whole system.

Look at the stock box. You will notice a smallish rectangular opening where the air enters. It then necks down to a smaller tube section leading into the box. In the box it hits more obstructions and small spaces before hitting the filter itself. Look at the surface area of the stock filter. More surface area means better breathing.

You are right that a K&N filter will breath better than the stock filter, but it will do nothing about the other restrictions in the system. My CAI is a large filter with lots of surface area inside and out, notice the end is open as well. then a 6 inch opening at the filter travels through the unrestricted pipe to the 4.5 inch opening delivering air to the throttle body and VIOLA!

This is my simple explanation to what is a complicated situation, the quest for more speed with the same cubic inches.

Happy Spending!
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #23
Number_9

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Don't get me wrong - and your car looks great by the way - but Roto-Fab's lack what pretty much every other CAI on the market lacks... a lid, as in an actual airbox that keeps the air coming from a cold spot and not the engine bay... like a CAI should.

The design/function of the ADM Performance CAI is more in line with what a CAI should be.

Link to related thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42316

Again, no flame intended here, to each there own... as long as the owner and the car are happy all is good... but, those that haven't spent the money yet should make an educated decision about the CAI they buy.

Number_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #24
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_9 View Post
Don't get me wrong - and your car looks great by the way - but Roto-Fab's lack what pretty much every other CAI on the market lacks... a lid, as in an actual airbox that keeps the air coming from a cold spot and not the engine bay... like a CAI should.

The design/function of the ADM Performance CAI is more in line with what a CAI should be.

Link to related thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42316

Again, no flame intended here, to each there own... as long as the owner and the car are happy all is good... but, those that haven't spent the money yet should make an educated decision about the CAI they buy.
As for your lack of lid statement, the hood becomes the lid in this installation. If you notice the weatherstripping around the top of the airbox. Mike with Roto-Fab has even mentioned in several places that you'll get a witness mark in the hood pad from where the airbox is sealing to it. I can assure you that the air in my Roto-Fab airbox is significantly cooler than the engine bay air.

The only pro over the RF to me is the MAF being relocated into the airbox. How much is that really going to change if the air entering the filter is already significantly cooler as it passes it? Also, honestly, I don't like the way the air-tube has to make multiple bends.

There are plenty of threads dedicated to each product so let's try and keep them in their respective places.
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #25
Number_9

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMY68SS View Post
As for your lack of lid statement, the hood becomes the lid in this installation. If you notice the weatherstripping around the top of the airbox. Mike with Roto-Fab has even mentioned in several places that you'll get a witness mark in the hood pad from where the airbox is sealing to it. I can assure you that the air in my Roto-Fab airbox is significantly cooler than the engine bay air.
Right, using the hood as the seal is understood... certainly by me and probably by most. I also understand that it's not ideal simply because it depends on a non-connected part to obtain the seal. It's great you're getting an imprint from your own setup, but that's not true for most.

I've heard good things about Roto-Fab and I enjoyed reading your write up. To each there own though.

Number_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #26
mr_desmo
Banned

Drives: beated up old mini austin
the only intelligent cai so far other than stock is gmpp retain the stock box with a bigger box for more volume and a tube without resonators
mr_desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #27
rsmitchell10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Silver
Where on the ZZ website is this product offered?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #28
d69chris
Florida C5

the Roto-fab seats to the hood, instead of a lid. The intake tube is screwed to the box. It seals across the bottom and up the fender well. The only place left to draw air it the front of the box, where the stock use to, and more volumn coming through the grill. Not sure what a lid adds that sealing to the hood would not.

I don't have a baseline, but am planning on getting my car dynoed this week, if I can find someone that knows what they are doing in my area.