Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
Gi0vanni2ss

Drives: 2010 2ss Camaro
Increase HP on a daily driven SS

We all know that the list for performance upgrades are endless for the SS , but at what point do you stop if you use the car everyday? ( I'm considering, gas mileage, and wear on motor and driving comfort)

What do you think is the limit to upgrades on a daily driven 2010 ss in NY?

Intake headers and exhaustt? Possibly mild cam? ... Input and feedback PLEASE!
Gi0vanni2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
I have to assume NYC since you didn't mention what part of NY.

If you're driving in the city then go get a V6.

If you'e not driving in the city then go get any device that displays real time MPGs and adjust your driving habits.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Idling in hot traffic with a cammed engine is not much fun, especially if the car is a manual. The other obvious concern is the warranty will more than likely go out the window. These two things are not conducive to long term daily driver status in congested cities.

Find a project car to mess with. When it breaks, at least you don't have to ride the bus to work.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
ramairetransam
Internet Car Tech

Drives: 99 formula
Do an intake , tune and full exhaust and then have it dyno tuned. You will pick up a damn good amount doing that . Then decide if you want to go with a larger cam .
ramairetransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
I have a pretty big cam as far as DD'ing goes, and I love it, headers, 3200 stall
Old 05-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
Depends on what kind of dd you are doing. City or highway? Personally if mg car a was dd car I would have stopped with axle back exhaust and an intake. Sitting in traffic shaking like an off balance washing machine is fun for short periods of time but I couldn't imagine doing it all the time in traffic.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
3.91 gears I lost 2mpg but its a big improvement. cold air intake and long tube headers. then solid cradle bushings.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
(If I had an SS and it was an automatic) I would say basic bolt ons like headers, intake, TB, catback plus a mild VVT cam with a slightly looser stall.

Manual, 3.73 or 3.91 gears.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I added headers, CAI, and a tune to my ALL city driven DD. I do want a cam eventually, but after these mods I am VERY content with how my car sounds, and drives. I will definitely hold off for a while. If I were you I would start with that, and go from there.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
manual 3.91, auto 3.73
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi0vanni2ss View Post
We all know that the list for performance upgrades are endless for the SS , but at what point do you stop if you use the car everyday? ( I'm considering, gas mileage, and wear on motor and driving comfort)

What do you think is the limit to upgrades on a daily driven 2010 ss in NY?

Intake headers and exhaustt? Possibly mild cam? ... Input and feedback PLEASE!
Gi0vanni2ss

All of the packages that we have offer make great power along with excellent drive ability, and they have proven to withstand the test of time. We have 2010's out there that are still going strong today and they make plenty of power. We have customers that have our packages on their vehicles that are making 600+ HP and are driven to all over the country with no issues.

PM me your info and we can go over the different packages we offer.
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #12
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
I also have a daily driven SS and I'm doing axle back exhaust, intake and tune. I guess it just depends how far you want to go/ when will you be satisfied. My wife complains that she hears my car start up at 5:30am when I go to work... I told her it's not getting any quieter. Can't wait to get rid of those suit cases for mufflers
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I have headers, intake, exhaust and she has been a blast for the past year. This summer she is getting camed and 3.70 gears. I only have one car and she will be my dd when she is pushing over 650 with a s/c. As long as you buy quality parts and have reputable shops do the work you should be fine. And if you have problems...gotta pay to play
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
68RSZ

Drives: 68 RSZ & 2010 SS2RS
It is all relative. However I can tell you once you start the mods it never ends. Like the rest have stated it all depends on what your commute is like and what your butt, wallet, and significant other will accept. It depends also on what type of car you want. A drag car will have different mods than a drift car; than a road racer. A cold air intake, high flow cats, and possibly my next mod a ported throttle body are all simple diy or the cats an hour at a shop mods that will wake it up and not keep it off the road. I will warn you that the better it sounds the more you'll want to keep the revs up, which will drop your mpg. I've got the LS3 and I get about 17 mpg.
68RSZ is offline   Reply With Quote