Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #43
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
4.5L V-8 turbo diesel....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
GM's already done calculations, if not tried it. I remember Bob Lutz saying that there was barely any improvement in fuel economy, just a much more sluggish Camaro.
Right. If memory serves, they said that the gearing was configured in a way that the turbo was always spooled....that really counteracts any fuel-saving benefits...

However, they ARE looking at ways to make it more fuel efficient. They're coming out with a new version of the Ecotec line for the next-gen Equinox...they say it will provide class-leading fuel efficiency. And the Equinox is no lightweight. So it looks promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
I cant picture a camaro w/o at least a V6. Do they have AFM for the V6? Drop down to 3 cylinders while cruising? Might bring up the gas mileage.
They have AFM on their pushrod V6's...but those are being phased out in favor of the newer OHC 3.6L engines. And they don't currently have any AFM system for OHC engines.:(

Quote:
it would be harder to balance the rotating assy deactivating 3 cyl on a v-6

id say you could do 2 at most
Honda has some 6-4-3 cylinder deactivation...but I heard it rattles like a mother...
Old 12-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #44
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
^In my ignorance, i thought that way until I researched and found that the import crowd will never take a V6 over a turbo 4, even if the turbo 4 has slightly less power. The reason is aftermarket -- a fully built turbo 4 will take a fully built N/A V6.

I'm not saying i like the idea of a lower-powered turbo 4 over the DI V6 that's going in the 5th Gen, though. The reason I say that is because the aftermarket will support the V8 Camaro, because that's what most Camaro owners will use as a platform. In other words, Camaro owners would rather have a NA V8 at 500 rwhp than a turbo 4 at 500 rwhp. And, with very good reason that I won't get into, because that's the age-old import vs. domestic battle that's better on the streets and on the track than on some Internet message board.

one big reason to have 500hp n/a V8 over turbo 4 500hp is the torque. something EVERYONE forgets about. torque is what moves the car, hp is just how fast/easy you can use that torque.

the guy that made a comment about the diesel, how it shot off like a v-8. diesels make donkey ballsacks full of torque. not always the highest hp, but they make power regardless.

GM's new 4.5L diesel V-8 for instance makes over 500 ft lbs of torqe and 300+ hp. it would be perfect to throw in this car. (tho i imagine it will make its way into the Ute first. but its the same dimensions as a traditional small block so the engine/vehicle combos are near limitless that this motor could be put into.

and the fact that it makes such a large amount of torque is what helps diesels get better gas mileage. the lower rpm you have to spin a motor to move, the better off you are. instead of like 4 bangers and the like that dont get into their power band untill higher rpms and dont have the torque to move larger cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Honda has some 6-4-3 cylinder deactivation...but I heard it rattles like a mother...
shakes, rattles, and pisses you off.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #45
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
You are correct sir and who would want one anyways lol
Not I. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
^In my ignorance, i thought that way until I researched and found that the import crowd will never take a V6 over a turbo 4, even if the turbo 4 has slightly less power. The reason is aftermarket -- a fully built turbo 4 will take a fully built N/A V6.

Hmmm, can you say Hyundai Genesis Coupe? They actually provided pre-production units to tuners for development, so the products are ready at launch.

Oh, which model did Hyundai provide? The Turbo 4.

I still won't do a 4. Of course I won't do V6 either. lol
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #46
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
diesels make donkey ballsacks full of torque.

That's quote worthy right there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Not I. lol

Hmmm, can you say Hyundai Genesis Coupe? They actually provided pre-production units to tuners for development, so the products are ready at launch.

Oh, which model did Hyundai provide? The Turbo 4.

I still won't do a 4. Of course I won't do V6 either. lol
Well Ford did it with the 84-86 Mustang.... Remember the SVO Mustang????
Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #47
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
[QUOTE=
Which leads me to my next point, a Turbo diesel whether it be v-4 or v-6. From what i've read on them they have good all around fuel economy (both highway and city). But the main thing that i've seen is the turbo diesel has ALOT of torque compared to hp (again not sure why, please feel free to fill me in). I recently test drove a VW clean Diesel TDI, and it pulled away from a stoplight like a v-8, not kidding, it was probably the most fun i've had in a v-4 in a while (tho i like my cobalt). Of course this is all defendant on how good GM's diesel engines hold up, i believe the new cruze has one, lets hope for good things.
Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Diesel make a ton of LB-FT(torque), because they generally have long strokes due to the fact the use friction generated by high compression to ignite the fuel the burn. That also why they don't rev to the moon. Diesel would be cool, but you would have to change the average American in think so. If you want to know what diesel can do look at the Audi R10. Tons of things can be done not to mention you can burn vegetable oil instead of diesel. A lot of high 12 sec 7000 lbs diesel trucks that all they due is change the engine program.

Last edited by GrnMchin; 12-05-2008 at 08:18 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #48
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
Diesel make a ton of LB-FT(torque), because they generally have long strokes due to the fact the use friction and compression to ignite the fuel the burn. That also why they don't rev to the moon. Diesel would be cool, but you would have to change the average American in think so. If you want to know what diesel can do look at the Audi R10. Tons of things can be done not to mention you can burn vegetable oil instead of diesel. Alot of high 12 sec 7000 lbs diesel trucks that all they due is change the engine program.

turn up the boost, throw some propane injection in there to boot, and smoke the tires all day long.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #49
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Don't expect to see the Iron D.
oh i don't. especially with all things pointing to not having any gains over the V6
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #50
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
[brainfood]

There's also a ~250hp 3.0L DI V6 in existence somewhere....

[/brainfood]
Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #51
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
[brainfood]

There's also a ~250hp 3.0L DI V6 in existence somewhere....

[/brainfood]
I've heard about that. I think its first scheduled use is in Buicks.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #52
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
For those of you who think an LNF powered Camaro would feel to slow, I'd like to point out that the LNF only gives up 12 ft/lbs compared to the LLT and has a flatter torque curve.

I'd also like to predict that if any Zetas get the LNF it will almost certainly be for sale overseas in markets in markets where it would be cheaper than the LLT because they charge ruinous taxes based on displacement.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #53
kylepo

Drives: 2002 firehawk.....missing 02CE
Quote:
4.5L V-8 turbo diesel....
that would be nuts but a little more realistic is the 2.9 turbo diesel 250 hp and 406 lb-ft. sign me up for that one although im not holding my breath they are putting them in ctss over seas im praying it will come stateside in anyting imagine a all wheel drive CTS with 406 lb-ft........
kylepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #54
kylepo

Drives: 2002 firehawk.....missing 02CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I've heard about that. I think its first scheduled use is in Buicks.
the new srx will have it maybe the upper teim level nox and the new lacrosse will use it as a base engine along with a 290 hp di 3.6
kylepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #55
TonytheTiger

Drives: 1999 camaro rs
Give it a colbalt ss tc engine
Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #56
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheTiger View Post
Give it a colbalt ss tc engine
ain't that been all over the first page of this thread & proved that it didn't do anything good for the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
GM's already done calculations, if not tried it. I remember Bob Lutz saying that there was barely any improvement in fuel economy, just a much more sluggish Camaro.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote