Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Key fobs both not working

Hello all,

So I moved to Vegas. My car has been sitting in the garage for a week or so while I was unpacking. A few times I had my key in my pocket and I would come out to the garage and notice that my trunk was open. Now I go to open the car via key fob and it totally ignores the remote. I can open the door via key but the alarm goes off and when I start the car it starts normally and the alarm stops.

This happens with both key fobs!

Anyone have this happen?
Old 09-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Hmm well the trunk thing is more than likely you just accidently pressing the "trunk release" button while the fob is in your pocket. The fob not working might be an interference thing or it might be a broken fob thing. I would take it to a dealer and have them look at it. Fobs are covered under warranty.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I thought one of my fobs didn't work when I tried to unlock the passenger door with the 2nd remote and it didn't work. Discovered that if you have the key in the ignition the other remote doesn't work.

No reason your batteries would be dead in your remotes that soon.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
PM Designs

Drives: 2011 Camaro, 99 Silverado , 69 C-10
Bring it to dealer. The receiver on the vehicle could have went out.
PM Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Camman475

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT Camaro
1st, Welcome to Vegas! I've been here for 17 years! Its a great place to live! Check out cars and coffee every saturday morning from 7am to 11 near Eastern & 215. Its all car enthusiast that bring out their rides. Everything from classics to supercars. Theres usually a good showing of Camaros out there.

2nd.. I haven't had the exact same problem, but I have had issues with my trunk popping on its own. It has happened a dozen times even when I don't have my keys on me. There has been several times i get in my car and all is normal then a couple minutes into the drive my trunk starts popping up and down with bumps. I have read that others have had that happen to them as well. I went to the dealer and they couldn't replicate it so they just kinda blew it off like I was pushing the button in my pocket.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Hmm well the trunk thing is more than likely you just accidently pressing the "trunk release" button while the fob is in your pocket. The fob not working might be an interference thing or it might be a broken fob thing. I would take it to a dealer and have them look at it. Fobs are covered under warranty.
I dont think the keys are covered..i was told at my dealer on my cobalt they were a wear and tear item because they can be dropped.
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
I dont think the keys are covered..i was told at my dealer on my cobalt they were a wear and tear item because they can be dropped.

They are covered under the 3 year bumper to bumper ... Had one replaced for my SS ...
Old 09-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
They are covered under the 3 year bumper to bumper ... Had one replaced for my SS ...
ahh cool to know!
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Thanks all. I took the car out, opening with the key, I get to where I am going and bammmm no problem, the fob works like normal. I get home and pull into the garage and it does not work........again. I am thinking interference. The neighbor had an electric company "smart meter" installed on his house from the local power company and I am betting it is interfering with my key fob. I told them they are not installing that thing on my house because of all the negative press I hear about them. Don't know how long I can hold NV Energy off, but I will try. We should have a say in what kind of equipment we have installed on our own house!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman475 View Post
1st, Welcome to Vegas! I've been here for 17 years! Its a great place to live! Check out cars and coffee every saturday morning from 7am to 11 near Eastern & 215. Its all car enthusiast that bring out their rides. Everything from classics to supercars. Theres usually a good showing of Camaros out there.

2nd.. I haven't had the exact same problem, but I have had issues with my trunk popping on its own. It has happened a dozen times even when I don't have my keys on me. There has been several times i get in my car and all is normal then a couple minutes into the drive my trunk starts popping up and down with bumps. I have read that others have had that happen to them as well. I went to the dealer and they couldn't replicate it so they just kinda blew it off like I was pushing the button in my pocket.

Thanks! I love Vegas. I will check out the cars and coffee thing in the next couple weeks, sounds like a blast. Thanks for the welcome and you valued opinions!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
It has happened to me two times.Both times at the same Mcdonalds 90 miles from my house.Stopped went into eat ,came out and remote would not work.My wife tried her FOB and no go. We used the key to unlock and get in.Both keys have worked flawlessly otherwise.Time span between visits to this Mcdonalds was about 6 months apart.
I am figuring some type of interference.
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Well, no solution here. All I can say is they work now. Weird! They work in the garage and out, go figure!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Technology is a wonderful thing when it works! LOL
Old 09-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
That has happened to me many manytimes. Wait a few minutes and it starts working again. Do not keep clicking when you know it isn't working. I found out that the more I clicked, the longer I have to wait for it to start working again. Longest I have had to wait was 1 hour. Another thing I found out was, when one key fob doesn't work. Use the other one far away from the one that doesn't work. When the good one works, bring the bad one and try again and it starts working as well. Weird but true from personal experience.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote