Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
FIXED!!Monster clutch. Those that have tracked,question concerning your 1LE's clutch

So i had like my 6th or 7th track day in my 1LE Sunday and my clutch pedal acted up. About half way through my 2nd session i started to lose feeling with my clutch pedal. It kinda like felt like i lost pressure/resistance in the pedal. As i started my 3rd session before i even had half a lap in it started again and even felt like it was also sticking and not the normal return. I have the fluid separated, and always change it, so it's not cause of dirty fluid. There was another 1LE that had clutch issues on the way home. Has anyone who has actually put your car through the paces on track experienced anything like this? The drive home it felt completely normal.

My clutch pedal 1st started acting up a month before my track day. In fact i had my service manager drive it, i told him to get on it, he did a little, but he didn't feel what i do. Sometimes when i get on the frwy. i get on it thru 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear at that point im at 100 mph and just shift right into 6the gear, and coast down to the speed limit.That's when i feel the clutch pedal just feels soft, the servive manager said that was probably normal since there wasn't any pressure on the clutch since there was no more acceleration at that point. Obviously something isn't right.

Last edited by cornerspeed92; 03-10-2015 at 05:10 PM.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Actually, I think it is because you separated the clutch fluid. I have been trying to make this point everywhere. The C5 and C6 Corvettes that come with that little clutch reservoir are notorious for sticky clutch since the little clutch reservoir is just not big enough to provide enough fresh fluid to cycle through. It seems GM understands this issue, and Gen5 Camaro (which was released 5 years later) comes with a huge brake fluid reservoir serving both the brakes and the clutch. I used to change the clutch reservoir fluid all the time when I owned Corvettes, but I don't even bother with the Camaros, and everything is running fine.

If you have contaminated the slave cylinder to the point that it does not seal as good as it normally does, this will get worse in time even if you keep the fluid clean or even get it flushed. I would hope not. I highly recommend you ditch that little cute clutch reservoir

In an ideal world, you would have big reservoirs for both the brakes and the clutch separately.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
I've put in that many track days this year as well. I have bled the separated clutch at half season, plan on doing it before I go back. Mine feels better than it did new, DOT 4 fluid, Tick remote bleeder makes it easy. Is your fluid black?
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Actually, I think it is because you separated the clutch fluid. I have been trying to make this point everywhere. The C5 and C6 Corvettes that come with that little clutch reservoir are notorious for sticky clutch since the little clutch reservoir is just not big enough to provide enough fresh fluid to cycle through. It seems GM understands this issue, and Gen5 Camaro (which was released 5 years later) comes with a huge brake fluid reservoir serving both the brakes and the clutch. I used to change the clutch reservoir fluid all the time when I owned Corvettes, but I don't even bother with the Camaros, and everything is running fine.

If you have contaminated the slave cylinder to the point that it does not seal as good as it normally does, this will get worse in time even if you keep the fluid clean or even get it flushed. I would hope not. I highly recommend you ditch that little cute clutch reservoir

In an ideal world, you would have big reservoirs for both the brakes and the clutch separately.
This actually sounds reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
I've put in that many track days this year as well. I have bled the separated clutch at half season, plan on doing it before I go back. Mine feels better than it did new, DOT 4 fluid, Tick remote bleeder makes it easy. Is your fluid black?
No it's not black, like i say i change fluid often. Where can i find Tick remote bleeder?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...p-04-07-cts-v/

I heard some have had issues installing, my shop did it day one on the lift and had done several and actually recommended it to me
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...p-04-07-cts-v/

I heard some have had issues installing, my shop did it day one on the lift and had done several and actually recommended it to me
Is it true that the tranny has to be dropped?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Is it true that the tranny has to be dropped?
We had to do so on a C5 Z06 Corvette :(

Don't know about Camaros to be honest.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 11-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
We just change the clutch resivor fluid before each autocross takes about 2 minutes and keeps it pretty clean, if you keep up with it.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Mark, their website suggests installing next time tranny is out. What happened specifically on the track? Would the shifter stick? The clutch not release? Was it cold?

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Mark, their website suggests installing next time tranny is out. What happened specifically on the track? Would the shifter stick? The clutch not release? Was it cold?

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey Brian, no the shifter didn't stick everything was in my clutch pedal feel. No it wasn't cold either.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I had similar issues until I got ideal garage master clutch cylinder and separated my resivoir. While I was at it I also changed the clutch line out to a tick high flow line. Several track days and now without issues and no more second gear grind either.

Just need to get an oil cooler now it's always something.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
I had similar issues until I got ideal garage master clutch cylinder and separated my resivoir. While I was at it I also changed the clutch line out to a tick high flow line. Several track days and now without issues and no more second gear grind either.

Just need to get an oil cooler now it's always something.
I think flushing the whole line is what so far has benefited you the most. Good luck!
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
So i had like my 6th or 7th track day in my 1LE Sunday and my clutch pedal acted up. About half way through my 2nd session i started to lose feeling with my clutch pedal. It kinda like felt like i lost pressure/resistance in the pedal. As i started my 3rd session before i even had half a lap in it started again and even felt like it was also sticking and not the normal return. I have the fluid separated, and always change it, so it's not cause of dirty fluid. There was another 1LE that had clutch issues on the way home. Has anyone who has actually put your car through the paces on track experienced anything like this? The drive home it felt completely normal.

Sounds like classic air in the system. Boiled it maybe? What fluid u using? Separate reservoir is pretty much extra part, cost, assembly and extra risk of another part having an issue. I separated mine too and change twice during spring/summer season with motul 600.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #14
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Sounds like classic air in the system. Boiled it maybe? What fluid u using? Separate reservoir is pretty much extra part, cost, assembly and extra risk of another part having an issue. I separated mine too and change twice during spring/summer season with motul 600.
Im just still running Dot 3 in the clutch system. How would i get air in the system, it's never completely dry when i change fluid?