Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Lightbulb Build from Scratch

Someday, I will probably do something very crazy to a Camaro:
  • street legal race-prepped engine install (requires the removal of the engine)
  • race-prepped transmission (requires the removal or upgrade of the transmission)
  • race-prepped rear end (requires removal of almost everything between the rear wheels up to the transmission)
  • even bigger brakes (requires the removal of the brakes)
  • drag racing suspension (requires removal of suspension components)

From what I know about this swap, my new build will likely require other changes:
  • header replacement or upgrade to long tubes
  • catback exhaust upgrade
  • catalytic converter upgrade (maybe not necessary but potentially important)
  • custom engine mounts
  • custom transmission mounts (only if transmission is replaced)

This build begs an important question:
Aside from the badging on the my car, what makes it unique relative to any other trim?
In all truth, any Camaro could be built this way. My original plan was to start with a 1SS RS, but I would ultimately just be paying for an OEM V8 to be removed in place of a Camaro5 vendor's supreme V8. If not for the V8 under the hood from the beginning, it would be difficult to tell if a V8 was ever in there until the swap. Besides a different front bumper and SS badges, there really isn't much to differentiate the LT RS from the SS RS. Even the RS components that I want the most are available in the aftermarket. Consequently, I could do my custom V8 build sooner if I purchase the LS instead of the SS.

In conclusion, I'm better off buying a V6 for a lot of reasons besides insurance costs and regular fuel until my build. If I get a V6, I can make my V8 build become a reality much sooner than I can make it happen if I buy a satisfying V6 in the meantime. Am I missing something?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
You would need a new ECM I would imagine and probably the v8 front fascia. Not too sure on what else you would need that you haven't already listed.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
You would need a new ECM I would imagine and probably the v8 front fascia. Not too sure on what else you would need that you haven't already listed.
It's generally cheaper and easier in the long run to start with a base 1SS, IMO.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickey Chicago View Post
It's generally cheaper and easier in the long run to start with a base 1SS, IMO.
You're probably right, but I'm not concerned with the cost in the long run. I'm more concerned with my immediate needs and the idea of keeping what I buy in the near future.

I need a car soon. Because I need a car soon, I'm either going to have a new Camaro or a used car. If I have to trade for a V8 later, I'm going to be losing money for every mile I've put on the V6 or used car.

Also, I can start working on my project now if I get a V6. I want to have upgraded aftermarket speakers, a good drag racing suspension, and anything else I like in the meantime. After putting all of this stuff in a car, why would I want to start all over?

Here's another point. If I pull out the entire drivetrain of the car, I've got a Camaro that's set up for a V6. Next year or later, I will happily spend a lot of money to put a V8 in there, but someone has to tell me that they can do that and what I will be buying.

Nickey Chicago, you have some really great builds. When you take out the LS3 or L99 to put in one of your Stage III LS7s, you also do a lot of the work that I listed in the first post. In other words, this build is almost perfectly tailored to what your shop is already doing. How much more work would it take you to put a Stage III kit into a V6 engine bay?
Old 02-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Agent Atomic Orange

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
You're probably right, but I'm not concerned with the cost in the long run. I'm more concerned with my immediate needs and the idea of keeping what I buy in the near future.

I need a car soon. Because I need a car soon, I'm either going to have a new Camaro or a used car. If I have to trade for a V8 later, I'm going to be losing money for every mile I've put on the V6 or used car.

Also, I can start working on my project now if I get a V6. I want to have upgraded aftermarket speakers, a good drag racing suspension, and anything else I like in the meantime. After putting all of this stuff in a car, why would I want to start all over?

Here's another point. If I pull out the entire drivetrain of the car, I've got a Camaro that's set up for a V6. Next year or later, I will happily spend a lot of money to put a V8 in there, but someone has to tell me that they can do that and what I will be buying.

Nickey Chicago, you have some really great builds. When you take out the LS3 or L99 to put in one of your Stage III LS7s, you also do a lot of the work that I listed in the first post. In other words, this build is almost perfectly tailored to what your shop is already doing. How much more work would it take you to put a Stage III kit into a V6 engine bay?
Plus the insurance company would still charge you V6 rates. Which depending on your age, the savings over the SS would pay for a ton of mods in a very short time.

Airaid CAI (V2 Tube)/ Flowmaster American Thunder/ Barton Shifter Kit/ Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars/ Hotchkis Sport Springs/ AAC Lights/ GM Trim Kit/ Tint/ Pioneer Premier Champion Series Sub/ Pioneer 1500 Watt Amp
Agent Atomic Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Atomic Orange View Post
Plus the insurance company would still charge you V6 rates. Which depending on your age, the savings over the SS would pay for a ton of mods in a very short time.
We're on the same page. There are lots of reasons to go the V6 route. When I can afford performance, why buy a whole car when I already have half of what I'll need? I need a high-performance V8 drivetrain—have a few ideas, including Nickey Chicago Stage III and others—and a shop that's willing to put it into a V6 body.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
The labor/time is not much different, it is the cost of the core parts.

The rearend, trans, engine, wire harness and ECM are different. The cost of just these items (there are more) and the difference between the cost of a base V6 and a 1SS are about the same.

With all that said....we'll be more than happy to convert your V6 Camaro into a Nickey Super Car
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Blur, i would go that route, youll end up with a unique car with a vin that says v6.
heck id keep the v6 bumper to make it a sleeper!
Do it...do it!
And you can have your Camaro in the mean time
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
The_Blur

This thread needs more technical input. I would like to see some more technical discussion on the logistics of this route.

Does a 6L50 (V6) transmission swap directly with an upgraded 6L80 (V8)?

In order to make this swap possible, do I need to upgrade the engine at the same time?

Can I replace the rear end components before changing anything else?

This is a great thread for some members more familiar with these transmissions to share their knowledge with the greater community. Keep in mind that this is a high-performance build discussion.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
bkkendrick

Drives: 2010 camaro 1lt RS Red
i would totally do this aswell but if i were to put the v8 in my 6 banger car i would want to change my auto trans to a manual how hard would it be to change it to a manual if its an auto?
bkkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
I can only wish you the best of luck. Though I am excited to see what you come up with!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
buy a used SS, then swap motors. Easiest & cheapest. I think the V6 has a different sub frame. Could be wrong on that though.....
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
buy a used SS, then swap motors. Easiest & cheapest. I think the V6 has a different sub frame. Could be wrong on that though.....
Thats what I thought too........I also figured you would have to swap out the rear diff. Or maybe I am talkin out of my a**....

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #14
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Thats what I thought too........I also figured you would have to swap out the rear diff. Or maybe I am talkin out of my a**....
This build basically requires me to replace everything that makes the wheels move. If I am to go through with it for the sake of building something crazy, then I'm going to want to know what the costs are before I decide to do it.