Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #659
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
When discussing the value of the 1LE I think it's important to remember that we don't know the pricing yet. All we know is that it starts under 40K, which is enough already for many to recognize it as a good deal.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #660
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
When discussing the value of the 1LE I think it's important to remember that we don't know the pricing yet. All we know is that it starts under 40K, which is enough already for many to recognize it as a good deal.
I'm not ragging on the 1LE. I like what I hear already. I am just discussing my opinion on the price point and what I would be willing to spend, which does not reflect what other people are willing to spend. Even if I don't spend the extra coin on the 1LE I will still respect any car that can lay down times like that and will be proud of GM's accomplishment.

And you are right. This is all speculation as the price has not been released. I am just jumping the gun. I like what I hear already and I want to know the price and I want to hear a great price so I can run out there and buy one already.

Here is more speculation and crunching numbers with the worst case scenario. 1SS Base MSRP is 32,280. Let's say the 1LE package is $7,000 that would bring the price to $39,280 for a 1SS 1LE. Which might make sense because we have seen MSRP increase by like $500 per year? So with a new MSRP it would come out to $39,780 and still be less than $40K. On a 2SS with a MSRP of $35,880 in 2012 that would come out to $42,880 and with a MSRP increase of $500 it would be $43,380. That is just on the base price. No RS package or other options.

If it comes out to be $7K I would have a hard time justifying that to myself without engine improvements. Again, that is JUST ME and in no way does it rag on the capabilities or value of the 1LE.

For me, and this is just me, if it's more than a $4K option I am out unless I find out about other improvements especially since for 2012 they already made some suspension improvements to the SS.

Which brings me to this:

Quote:
it sounds like a 1LE would be at least 4-5 seconds per lap faster than an SS Camaro
Is that based on the SS before the suspension tweaks in 2012 or after?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #661
Butcher

Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Would I like the car to cost less than I think it will? Of course I would. However, if the car costs what I think it will, it will fall right between an SS and a ZL1. That seems like a very logical price point to me. I think it will still be cheaper than a similarly equipped BOSS 302.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #662
Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Is that based on the SS before the suspension tweaks in 2012 or after?

That's based on information and speculation. It's an educated guess based on how much faster the 1LE is than a BOSS 302, and how much faster a BOSS 302 is than an SS Camaro.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #663
cbass

Quote:
Would I like the car to cost less than I think it will? Of course I would. However, if the car costs what I think it will, it will fall right between an SS and a ZL1. That seems like a very logical price point to me. I think it will still be cheaper than a similarly equipped BOSS 302.
I am trying to respect the mod's wishes to not make this a mustang/camaro comparison so I will refrain from commenting.

It is a logical price point, but if it comes out to that, then I would expect it to have engine improvements as well regardless if it doesn't help track times. It's just a what you get at the price point thing. For me $7K without engine improvements is likely a deal breaker.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #664
Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Here is more speculation and crunching numbers with the worst case scenario. 1SS Base MSRP is 32,280. Let's say the 1LE package is $7,000 that would bring the price to $39,280 for a 1SS 1LE. Which might make sense because we have seen MSRP increase by like $500 per year? So with a new MSRP it would come out to $39,780 and still be less than $40K. On a 2SS with a MSRP of $35,880 in 2012 that would come out to $42,880 and with a MSRP increase of $500 it would be $43,380. That is just on the base price. No RS package or other options.

If it comes out to be $7K I would have a hard time justifying that to myself without engine improvements. Again, that is JUST ME and in no way does it rag on the capabilities or value of the 1LE.

I understand wanting engine improvements. However, engine improvements would raise the base price significantly. Not only that, but engine improvement are abundant for a V8 Camaro. A 1LE with long tubes, high flow cats, cold air kit, and a tune, would be more car than most people could handle. Besides, if the price is a little bit higher, they won't be as common. That's a plus in my book.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #665
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Cant wait for this beauty, i so want it :O
Old 03-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #666
cbass

I see the changes to the high flow fuel pump? Any oiling changes for handling 1g?
Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #667
RRrumbLE

Drives: 2011 CGM LS3 Hurst 2SS/RS Camaro
I can't believe I'm even thinking about this. My baby is incredible! Oh...you guys are killin' me.

All those mods. All that time. All the LOVE! Somebody gimme a kleenex.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #668
jimmyh

Drives: 2011 1LT => 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaricopa View Post
I can count on 1 hand the # of other Camaro's I have seen in NASA,SCCA or ASA for the last 1.5 yrs. I'm the only one.

I have been to quite a few autox myself, and so far, I was the only Camaro at any of them. This car is just too heavy to be a fun autox car. It can't get out of its own way. Now, an HPDE might be a different story...
jimmyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #669
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
I have been to quite a few autox myself, and so far, I was the only Camaro at any of them. This car is just too heavy to be a fun autox car. It can't get out of its own way. Now, an HPDE might be a different story...

The 1LE and the ZL1 are about to change your opinion!

Men like Al Oppenheiser, Mark Dickens, and Tony Roma have done some magic and I think you're going to love the result!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #670
jimmyh

Drives: 2011 1LT => 2010 2SS
I doubt even the ZL1 will make a good autox car. Those tracks are generally set up for smaller, lightweight cars. The last one I went to, the Miatas had better times than the Corvettes. That was my only point. I am sure at a track day, this car rocks. I just don't have the will (yeah ok, courage ) to do one.
jimmyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #671
RRrumbLE

Drives: 2011 CGM LS3 Hurst 2SS/RS Camaro
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The 1LE and the ZL1 are about to change your opinion!

Men like Al Oppenheiser, Mark Dickens, and Tony Roma have done some magic and I think you're going to love the result!
Thank you Mr.-s Oppenheiser, Dickens, Roma, and "Dad".

Not looking to start an argument, and with me behind the wheel - the Miatas positions on the podium are certainly safe. But I've gotta raise my Camaro banner on this one.

My SS isn't stock by any means, but it's not boosted at all, and my chassis & suspension tweaks are downright minor compared to many right here on this forum.

But I still think my Camaro would make a fantastic autocross car, big butt and all.

Just a few tweaks here, a little aluminum in place of rubber there, and my baby was transformed into a corner carving monster. Okay, maybe there was a bit more to it, but not much. I fling my baby around like a go-kart, and she never even squeals.

She may not win an autocross event (at least with me behind the wheel), but I can't even imagine her embarassing herself out there. She'll take it for hours, and beg for more.

I'll stop gushing now.

Edit: I never did set up my Camaro5 garage, so if you'd like to see my Camaro here's a link:

http://www.northstarcamaroclub.com/M...3/Default.aspx
Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #672
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Very pleased about the MyLink screen. This is something I thought should have at least been an option at roll-out, but I guess you have to save some tricks for the mid-cycle refresh.

I'm curious, though: For the vehicles not equipped with nav, will the rear backup cam still be integrated into the screen, or will it be integrated into the mirror as the 2012's?

I'm also curious whether some "fun" diagnostics will be incorporated into the screen, or can be incorporated (i.e., useless gauges like torque, HP, etc. )

I still think the HVAC controls could have received an "auto" mode update, especially now that there's a screen that probably can integrate a lot of vehicle functions.

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, 1le camaro, 1le forum, camaro 1le, camaro 1le forum, camaro performance package, camaro track pack, camaro track package, where's our z/28?