Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
P0171 thrown.

Just curious if anyone knows much about it. I ran a cel check and it shows bank. 1 to be lean. Car doesn't seem to be running abnormal or anything. The light came on while I was on a short road trip. Is the car safe to drive back home? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
Just curious if anyone knows much about it. I ran a cel check and it shows bank. 1 to be lean. Car doesn't seem to be running abnormal or anything. The light came on while I was on a short road trip. Is the car safe to drive back home? Thanks in advance.
Could be a number of simple things, vacuum leak, dirty MAF, Exhaust leak can all set a Lean code on a single bank

The computer will add the correct amount of fuel for Normal Driving to cover up the problem but set the code so you know there is something not right.

If you Drive Normal you will not hurt anything.

But a good visual check may quickly find the problem, Vacuum leaks are most common issue.

If you need help give me a call.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Thanks for the info and help Ted!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Thanks for the info and help Ted!
Any Time Friend.

Ted.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

well i drove the car again, and i am hearing something weird. When i let off the gas I am hearing a "squeak" noise. I was able to get some video of the said noise. I will post ASAP.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Old 02-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I was going to say I got that code when the front O2 sensor on bank one went out but I did not have any noises like you have there. That is very strange. I'm guessing a person has to be there in person to hear it clearly but just from a raw video it sounds like something is bouncing around inside the plastic intake tube. I'm wonder how the MAF sensor is attached in your system.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

i hope it isnt anything serious.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
i hope it isnt anything serious.
Well you need to figure it out....lol. I would avoid heavy application of the throttle while you hear that noise. Is your fuel mileage being affected? Like are you getting really poor gas mileage in the car now? Because if the sensor thinks it is lean and the sensor is wrong it tries to fix a problem that doesn't really exist by throwing gas at it. I'm leaning more toward a problem somewhere in the intake system though.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Well you need to figure it out....lol. I would avoid heavy application of the throttle while you hear that noise. Is your fuel mileage being affected? Like are you getting really poor gas mileage in the car now? Because if the sensor thinks it is lean and the sensor is wrong it tries to fix a problem that doesn't really exist by throwing gas at it. I'm leaning more toward a problem somewhere in the intake system though.
Haven noticed anything, it just came on when I jumped on the interstate. Wasnt driving it hard or anything. I just noticed the noise this evening after i was leaving the gym.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
jessrayo
Speed Freak

I keep listening to that recording and I'm trying to figure out where you are when you recorded it. Is that in the car, behind the car or standing over the engine with the hood open? You said you heard it driving so I'm wondering if that is what you hear in the car.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Then my next question would be can you hear it more clearly in one of those other locations. Are you back at home now?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #13
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I keep listening to that recording and I'm trying to figure out where you are when you recorded it. Is that in the car, behind the car or standing over the engine with the hood open? You said you heard it driving so I'm wondering if that is what you hear in the car.
i was standing at the drivers door hitting the gas and leaning over the driver side fender. its definitely coming from the driver side from what i can tell. only reason i heard it when i was driving was i had the windows down, and when the rpms dropped you could hear it pretty good.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
i was standing at the drivers door hitting the gas and leaning over the driver side fender. its definitely coming from the driver side from what i can tell. only reason i heard it when i was driving was i had the windows down, and when the rpms dropped you could hear it pretty good.
Exhaust leak.