Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
No. Performance first and then other features. Ironically, my dad use to make a similar argument about steel belted radials.
I bet he didn't have Michelin PSSs either.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #16
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Wow. So now we take a rim protector, over grip?
I don't think you're referring to me, but if you are, no. That's not what I said.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #17
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
The tires are definitely lacking. Just think what the lap times would be on the ZL1 if it had the pirelli trofeo's that are going to be standard on the Z28! It definitely would not be 3 sec's down in lap times behind the Z28.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
I don't think you're referring to me, but if you are, no. That's not what I said.
Cool!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #19
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
The tires are definitely lacking. Just think what the lap times would be on the ZL1 if it had the pirelli trofeo's that are going to be standard on the Z28! It definitely would not be 3 sec's down in lap times behind the Z28.
One day everyone will understand...
Old 09-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
stardok

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1657
Quote:
Ditto. Felt secure in the bank turn at 120-125 MPH but on tighter turns they felt less sticky. Definitely loose on the street.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Pirelli makes probably the grippiest tires for street applications (non-slicks). Those kwazy Italians.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardok View Post
Had my car at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA and it was loose. The instructors and Pro drivers commented on it. Recommend better tires for the track.
Quote:
If you purchase and mount a purpose built tire like a Toyo R888 track tire you will be able to drop about 10 seconds per lap at my local road course. If you mount a drag radial you will shave at least a full second off your quarter mile time. The problem with these specialized tires is that they are unsafe in rain and just not practical on the street. There is no such thing as a do everything tire. Every tire makes compromises of some sort. The Eagle F1 needs to be warmed to operating temp and then it is about the best cornering street tire available. Some like Bridgstones, some like Michelins, I think these tires are a little better in straight line acceleration but not as good with lateral g's. They are both way better in the rain. A street tire needs to be a compromise. Personally I think the Goodyear gives up too much temp tolerance and wet grip. I mount special tires for "racing" events and when my street tires wear out I will put on the Michelin PSS. If you want to drive to the road racing course and run your car without changing a tire the Goodyear F1 is about as good a tire as you will find but is not in the same class as the track specific tires.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #23
crangie

Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
Quote:
I am Looking forward for the complaints about the trofeos when the z28 gets out. You will see people wondering why the trofeos won't stick on snow.

I like the goodyears, they are very sticky on the road course. I have to see yet one who can show me that he is faster with the michelin pss than with the goodyears. Never had a issue with them on normal roads being them dry or wet.
crangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by crangie View Post
I am Looking forward for the complaints about the trofeos when the z28 gets out. You will see people wondering why the trofeos won't stick on snow.

I like the goodyears, they are very sticky on the road course. I have to see yet one who can show me that he is faster with the michelin pss than with the goodyears. Never had a issue with them on normal roads being them dry or wet.
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not reality. If you love them that much stick to the GY. Easy enough.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #25
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
If you purchase and mount a purpose built tire like a Toyo R888 track tire you will be able to drop about 10 seconds per lap at my local road course. If you mount a drag radial you will shave at least a full second off your quarter mile time. The problem with these specialized tires is that they are unsafe in rain and just not practical on the street. There is no such thing as a do everything tire. Every tire makes compromises of some sort. The Eagle F1 needs to be warmed to operating temp and then it is about the best cornering street tire available. Some like Bridgstones, some like Michelins, I think these tires are a little better in straight line acceleration but not as good with lateral g's. They are both way better in the rain. A street tire needs to be a compromise. Personally I think the Goodyear gives up too much temp tolerance and wet grip. I mount special tires for "racing" events and when my street tires wear out I will put on the Michelin PSS. If you want to drive to the road racing course and run your car without changing a tire the Goodyear F1 is about as good a tire as you will find but is not in the same class as the track specific tires.
Well said. I guess I should clarify that when i say "PSS or Bust" - I am referring to street driving...not track.
Mods: ID850 Injectors; D3PE HX, Reservoir & Atmospheric Catch-Can; LPE 2.55 Upper & 9.1 Lower Pulleys w/ ATI Damper; LPE Idler Pulley Relocation Bracket; "Green" Serp. Belt; Cat delete;ADM Exhaust Override; Magnaflow X-Pipe Muffler (in addition to stock mufflers); Cold Air Inductions CAI; 160 thermostat; LS9 Isolator; Port/polish snout and intake runners; LPE GT9 camshaft with dual springs and titanium retainers; Kenne Bell BAP, Install and Engine Tune by Serious Hp; Fab work by D3 Performance Engineering; Trans Tune by Keith; Coming Soon: Flex Fuel Conversion.
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #26
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Anyone know if the Trofeo's are available for ZL1 size tires?
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
Anyone know if the Trofeo's are available for ZL1 size tires?
Pirelli makes a lot of "supercar" sizes and fitments. They' not always available on tirerack and their ilk, but they are made.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
crangie

Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not reality. If you love them that much stick to the GY. Easy enough.
GM choose the GY's for a reason. They over the highest sidewall stiffness in the 285 size. Therefore they are also a major contributor for the good ZL1 and 1LE lap times.

Ass Jessrayo describes with tires you have to compromise. You can't get all in one.

The PSS might be an overall better summer street tire than the GY's but I still doubt that the PSS will be better on the road course .
First they have a softer sidewall and second based on feedbacks from the Porsche community they tend to overheat and become greasy quickly ( i have personally experienced it also in a GT2 on the ring).

Before I jump on the PSS bandwagon I would like to see some data which supports the statements about them being faster than the GY's.
crangie is offline   Reply With Quote