Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #29
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORY RED 1SS View Post
First of all thanks for calling me an idiot. I would certainly not shop at a dealership run by someone who treats people in that manner.

I actually do know what I'm talking about. I have worked for dealerships in management positions and am aware of profit levels on warranty packages.

True, total dollars isn't much and its more on the used car aftermarket warranties, but the margins on extended warranty are way higher than the profit margins realized on the vehicles.
Truth is, a high percentage (MOST) of new vehicle buyers do not keep their vehicle for 5 years. Also, I doubt many of these Camaro's see really high milage from their first owners.
Personally, I won't get to the 36000 anyway. I have lots of other vehicles to drive on a daily basis, so for me and anyone else who buys the car for a pleasure use only vehicle, the extended warranty is pretty much useless.

I also feel that by buying an extended warranty the customer is actually betting against himself in that the car will surely have problems.
doesn't instil much of a sense of quality in the product.

I am of the opinion that the customer who wants an extended warranty should get the dealer to throw it in with the deal. after all, as you say you make lots of money on warranty work, so whatever the cost it will come back as profit for the dealer.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #30
ZYAL8R

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORY RED 1SS View Post
First of all thanks for calling me an idiot. I would certainly not shop at a dealership run by someone who treats people in that manner.

I actually do know what I'm talking about. I have worked for dealerships in management positions and am aware of profit levels on warranty packages.

True, total dollars isn't much and its more on the used car aftermarket warranties, but the margins on extended warranty are way higher than the profit margins realized on the vehicles.
Truth is, a high percentage (MOST) of new vehicle buyers do not keep their vehicle for 5 years. Also, I doubt many of these Camaro's see really high milage from their first owners.
Personally, I won't get to the 36000 anyway. I have lots of other vehicles to drive on a daily basis, so for me and anyone else who buys the car for a pleasure use only vehicle, the extended warranty is pretty much useless.

I also feel that by buying an extended warranty the customer is actually betting against himself in that the car will surely have problems.
doesn't instil much of a sense of quality in the product.

I am of the opinion that the customer who wants an extended warranty should get the dealer to throw it in with the deal. after all, as you say you make lots of money on warranty work, so whatever the cost it will come back as profit for the dealer.

Really the best point made so far on this issue
ZYAL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #31
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
Every dealer will tell you how important it is to buy an extended warranty. They talk about those rare cases where a guy had a 4k repair bill but since he had the warranty he got off free. When I was in business school we studied the math on these warranties and the fact is about 10% of the customers will break even on them. Everyone else is simply padding the pockets of the dealers ( who mark the prices up) and actual warranty companies. If you feel more comfortable not having the risk then by all means they are effective for this purpose. If you think you will save money then unless you are in that rare 5-10% you won't. Personally I don't buy them and since the new cars have a 3/36k warranty I would not consider buying one until mile 35,000 miles. If I still plan on owning it after that and I have reason to believe that there could be a problem maybe I would consider it. One thing to keep in mind is these warranties cover the least risky part of the vehicles life. The chance of a major issue between 36k and 70k is well slim at best.

There are always guys that will tell you about how the warranty saved their asses but the guys who flushed 1200-1800 bucks down the drain on a warranty they never used never post those stories.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:12 AM   #32
VICTORY RED 1SS
booyaah

Drives: VICTORY RED 1SS
Thanks for the positive comments.
The "extras" you are bombarded with in the business office are all "gravy" for the dealership.
If they can sell the extras, great. I don't mind that. Some people want that stuff.
All I'm saying is for gosh sakes call it what it is, not a sugary gift for the good of the consumer.
Oh ya, and btw there's a reason they hit you up in the business office as well. Most people, even with good credit are vulnerable at this point. Its a natural reaction.
The person on the other side of the desk (sales manager or finance manager or business manager) is the last hurdle before putting the keys in the ignition, and many people agree to stuff that they would have otherwise turned down if asked by the sales person.
VICTORY RED 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #33
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Irregardless of what the percentage of people who break-even on a warranty is or how much the dealer makes on them are moot points. An extended warranty is nothing but another form of INSURANCE. How many of us here have paid YEARS towards our insurance premiums with out any accident whatsoever? I'm sure there's several. If you pay $1500/year for 10 years and finally have an accident that causes 4k in damage you still lose, but yet you keep paying. Now I know insurance is mandatory in most places but that's not the point as most people had insurance anyway before it was mandatory. Yes warranties are a big money maker, but that doesn't make them inherently evil. From someone who sold warranties for years and sells insurance now I can tell you the same way I tell my customers, insurance is the one thing you buy that you NEVER want to use, but always want to have.

But buying right before the factory warranty is up is always the smart way to handle it. Put that money into a high yield CD and let it work for you until it's time to pay up.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #34
Fbodybuddy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8
The only reservation I have about extended warranties is if the warranty company goes under, you are stuck with a useless piece of paper. I know, it happened to me.
Fbodybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #35
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I know one thing that will bring people back to GM......

Make a 10 year/100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty STANDARD on every vehicle they make, fully transferable to second and third owners, with zero dedcutable and no stipulations saying all maintenance must be performed at the dealer. Include full maintenance for 4yrs/50,000 miles on Cadillac (including brakes and windshield wipers).

Do all this without increasing the MSRP by a penny.

GM is constantly telling everyone how great the quality is with their cars. The number one thing I hear from everyone with Toyotas to Kias is prove it

This is how they can start.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #36
gss9909

Drives: 1999 camaro ss
First of all let me me say That I find it insulting and hard for me to keep reading all the comments that paint Me and my profession with the same braod brush. I have been In the ondustry for 12 years now. I I hear the same sh*t all the time.

There are some valid points in here...Finance managers such as my self do try to sell you warranty and other products (or insurance) to protect your vehicle. Do I hide or try to stuff it in the loan? No I present in them in a menu clearly showing what your payment and dollar amount is before anything including rate and what it would be with options added. You the customer chooses to purchase or not.

Is there profit for the dealer? Of course thats what they open the doors every morning. If they cant make money you can't pay employees and can't keep the doors open. Oh and plus thats how finance managers and directors get paid its called commision. So why should they not try to sell it as much as possible? I believe just like the rest of you that I deserve to make a living when I go to work. Reserve is a non factor ( reserve is what the bank pays the dealer on spread of rate so if the bank says ok a 6% we could sell the loan 1 to 2 points higher) the problem with reserve is that its charge backable, what that means is if you refinance the finance guy gets charged back the reerve that was paid. Now a days banks don't pay reserve they pay flats they pay a flat rate denpending on the contract any where from $100 - $500 wich the finance guy gets a small percentage say 14 to 17%. Thats where the "product" comes in. which by the way also charge backable when cancled. again affecting someones pay directly deducted from the finance managers pay IE if an f&I guy has 10k in profet made month to date at 17% wich equals to $1700 and has $3000 in charge backs from refinaces and cancelations his or her pay is now $1190. Thats why when and if I sell a extended service contract on a new car I always do a "gpr" or garunteed pruchase price refund. Meanning that if you never make a claim against it you get the full purchase price back. One it benifits the customer and on those the warranty company does not charge me back.

On gm's 3yr/36k and 5yr/100,000 wich ever comes first warranty is a good one for the 3/36 according to my rep at gmpp and ford we sell both they have a 5yr/60k. only 20% of warranty work every done ona car is powertrain. The other eight are not covered by the 5yr warranties.

So will I buy one you bet ya along with the maintnace package with the car having to use that much motor oil I would rather pay the few bucks a month
more and have 5yrs of service included. Oh and of course Gap and road hazard tire and wheel if a tire blows I would get of cheap $350 for unlimited milage on what ever wheels and tires are on the car no brainer.

My point is do what you want buy or don't its a personal chose. Just don't be jerks to the the dealers, there are some bad ones out there but the truth of the matter is that there are rules and regulations heavly imposed on dealers so most that I have worked for are on the up and up. We have a job to do as you do every day. Just that we don't get paid by the hour and on the sales side every $1000 discount given cost the sales person $200 out of his pocket.
And there is not that much to be made on new cars anymore to begin with.

I am for every one getting the best deal they can get and not many sales people are selling 20-30-or 40 cars a month keep that in mind that these guys and women have familys to support and taht a deal is a mutally benifitual agreement between to parties. Would you all perffer it was like any retail store out there and the price you see is what you pay? Oh and when you buy electronics don't they ask if you want to buy an extended warranty?

Sorry the post went so long.
gss9909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #37
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Get a GM warranty for GM Employee pricing: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50576

Anything more than that is $$$$ out of your pocket
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #38
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
The last car I bought I let the finance guy give his whole spiel about the warranty. I even conversed with him about different points. It took him 45 minutes. I didn't get angry, I just politely refused. As I will again when I buy the Camaro.

If they want to waste their time with me, fine.

If they want to not waste their time with me, simply ask one simple question: am I interested in extended warranties? I answer no, I sign the papers, their time is not wasted.

I look at it as it's not really my time they're wasting...... the day I pick up my car I always do it on a Saturday and make no other plans untill that night. And in all honesty, I am a very patient person. Give me a cup of coffee and a muffin and I'll sit and listen to everything you have to sell..... and I'll tell you no.

You want to keep me around for two hours instead of working with other customers? You go right ahead. I'll sit and listen to all the sales pitches left and right and even those I've never heard before.

And I'll still tell you no.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 AM   #39
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Everytime I have purchased a new car the sales manager tells me I have to purchase
the extended warranty NOW for the best price. It's almost as if he does not want
me considering the purchase.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #40
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
I thought about it, but the warranty I was offered is based on the same premiums as the Corvette! So no!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #41
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamlynn1 View Post
Interesting concept except what if your engine goes tits up or your tranny goes out $20 per month at 5 years is only $1200 even with interest nowhere near enough to cover the repair. Not to mention the lack of saving discipline most of us have, many people reading this do not even fund any type of retirement plan let alone a healthy savings plan. For some you method would work but for the masses the extra $20 per month added to your loan payment is truly inexpensive peace of mind.
I have to agree. Savings accounts today pay less than 1% and as stated above 20 dollars for three years is only $720 and the labor cost alone is almost $100 an hour. I got the extended warranty for my 2005 Silverado, and have used it several times. For example my MAF sensor went bad, and the sensor alone is about $100. Also, the fuel level sensor decides to short out giving false fuel readings. Don't regret buying it and whenever something goes wrong, its that extra $20 that gives me peace of mind. I plan on getting it on my 2011 Camaro. These vehicles are getting more advance and can't be easily fixed at home.
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #42
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I know one thing that will bring people back to GM......

Make a 10 year/100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty STANDARD on every vehicle they make, fully transferable to second and third owners, with zero dedcutable and no stipulations saying all maintenance must be performed at the dealer. Include full maintenance for 4yrs/50,000 miles on Cadillac (including brakes and windshield wipers).

Do all this without increasing the MSRP by a penny.

GM is constantly telling everyone how great the quality is with their cars. The number one thing I hear from everyone with Toyotas to Kias is prove it
What manufacturer offers such? None. No ones cars are perfect. They are all machines and as stated before, machines fail with time and wear and tear.
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote