Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #43
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorlius View Post
Do they do this on the CTS-V LSA too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneville2000 View Post
Yes. Common process with ZR1, Z06 and CTSV and Camaro ZL1 blocks.
I don't actually think the LSA out of the Cadillac recieves this treatment...the press release only makes a point to mention the LS9 and LS7 out of their respective Corvette models. And I can't find any proof elsewhere that the CTS-V's engine gets advanced bore-massage, too....
Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #44
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
For a reliable engine over extended years? it would relate to all of us..

However, what I don't get is it says a near perfect design based on this honing...so if that near perfect..what in the world is in our cars? Just decent? Not trying to sound whiny, just have no knowledge of this process.
Not quite as close to perfection as engines that get deck plate honing ...

There are two ways to look at tolerances. To most people, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to have a bore between 4.000 and 4.002" and don't really see the improvement in going down to 4.000 - 4.001. But to engineers and pro-builders, they see that as a 50% improvement, which is huge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I don't actually think the LSA out of the Cadillac recieves this treatment...the press release only makes a point to mention the LS9 and LS7 out of their respective Corvette models. And I can't find any proof elsewhere that the CTS-V's engine gets advanced bore-massage, too....
They could add it to the CTS-V when they begin production of ZL1.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #45
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
They could add it to the CTS-V when they begin production of ZL1.
I've since been corrected....the Press Release was apparently designed to be Chevy-only...(to help eliminate that cross-branding syndrome)...so they just "left out" the CTS-V when quoting cars.

LSA already has this done.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #46
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
^^Thats got to be the clearest way of explaining this.

Does anyone know if Ford or Dodge are using the same process on their Mustangs or Challengers? (referring to the GT/GT500 and 6.4L 392..)
I have read the 5.0 Mustang motor is pretty advanced in it own right also.
I don't know if the GT500 gets deck plate honing, but I know they get a pretty advanced cylinder wall treatment that I can't remember the name of. There's some way the walls are coated with special material that makes it stronger. You can find it on the philley forums In all honestly - I believe the GTR borrowed this technology for it's 3.8L, too, so it's pretty advanced. I believe it was one of the ways Ford was able to go to an aluminum block while keeping the strength. It's pretty cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I've since been corrected....the Press Release was apparently designed to be Chevy-only...(to help eliminate that cross-branding syndrome)...so they just "left out" the CTS-V when quoting cars.

LSA already has this done.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #47
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
all this means is the Price is going to "Increase"...lol..after reading this article, i am soo sure this car's MSRP will easily start in the $50,000+ range...wow...and by the way,i thought i saw where a GM rep stated this car is a track car and if so, will they warranty the Driveline if it goes Ka-Booom ??
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #48
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
all this means is the Price is going to "Increase"...lol..after reading this article, i am soo sure this car's MSRP will easily start in the $50,000+ range...wow...and by the way,i thought i saw where a GM rep stated this car is a track car and if so, will they warranty the Driveline if it goes Ka-Booom ??
Since its already incorporated into the cost of the LSA, its not going to add anything to the price over what the LSA already costs.

As for warranty, why wouldn't they? So long as you haven't modified anything in the powertrain and you aren't abusing it, they sorta have to cover it .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #49
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Very cool.

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #50
MartiMcFly

Drives: 2SS-RS
Good to see some time is being put into the cars.

ZL1 is going to be to rich for me. Esp. if that $47,000 mark was for 1ss type options.
MartiMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #51
Markwrench

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS ord 7-7-10 home8-24-10
The cynic in me says this "extra" is reactionary not preventative. Weren't FI engines having head gasket failures?
Markwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #52
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwrench View Post
The cynic in me says this "extra" is reactionary not preventative. Weren't FI engines having head gasket failures?
which ones?
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #53
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwrench View Post
Reactionary? I believe this has been the process with LS9 and LSA since their introduction in 2009... I haven't heard anything about head gasket failures, either. Both have upgraded gaskets (LS9 is an upgrade above LSA, even) and LS9 also enjoys larger head bolts. Both have equally higher-quality head castings, too. Head gasket failures are something new to me...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote