Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
CG SS

Drives: Truckerton (GMC Sierra 1500 SL)
Question I hope someone can help me answer these questions...

Ever since the first "masked" Camaro pictures were revealed, I've had some very strenuous questions racking my brain. Maybe someone who knows someone at GM or just plains knows what these answers may be, PLEASE post:

1. Why were the tail lights amber in color on both the Convertible and Coupe?
Exhibit A (Coupe)

Exhibit B (Convertible)

2. These "ambers" were also featured on the "Daytona 500 Pace Car" version of the Camaro (as well as the Heritage Grille), so where do you get them? This is obviously something GM likes to have featured on this beautiful piece of art, but why don't they make a few bucks by marketing them as well as the Heritage Grille?
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1600x1200 and weights 222KB.

3. When GM was testing the Camaro, why did they arrange the headlights in such a peculiar manner? It seems like it would have been easier and cheaper to leave the headlights the way they were supposed to be made. It doesn't make any sense to me why they changed them at all because the concept and the production model weren't like this at all. It reminds me of a car made a long time ago by a company that existed not too long ago, I just wish I could think of the- oh yeah! PONTIAC!!! Does Firebird ring any bells? They're doing it to torture and taunt us. Why?
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1600x1200 and weights 623KB.

If anyone at all has answers to these plaguing questions, please respond and answer. Who knows, if we get enough people to agree with this, maybe I can raise the eyebrows of GM by addressing the issue. I say let's start a petition to bring back Pontiac so we can bring back two birds with one factory.

Respectfully,
John (CG SS)
Old 02-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
The amber taillights on the test cars were because of regulations where the cars were being tested (Australia). The Pace Car models will come with the standard red taillights in order to meet US requirements.

The headlight question has been answered A LOT on here. Look for posts by Fbodfather.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
There was just a thread about this the other day (as far as the tail-lights are concerned). It was that they were in another country.

:notheadlights: Two threads in one day where we can use this.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
John,

1. I believe the amber lights are required in Australia where the original car was made and a lot of the testing was done. I believe both of those pictures you reference were taken down under.

2. There are US DOT regulations around color of tailights and other marker lights. I don't believe you could run amber lens even if you could get them (or you at least might risk a ticket).

3. Sometimes prototype cars are equipped with whatever parts are available. Sometimes testing, focus groups, etc, prove that a particular design feature just doesn't work or isn't appealing. I think that is the case with these headlights, although someone from GM could probably comment more accurately.

I hope this helps.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
1. They are test car for foreign markets with different requirements.
2. They aren't available to the public. If the Camaro goes on sale in Europe from GM you'll be able to somehow get those parts. Right now they are custom built.
3. My guess is they were test parts before the final production units were built. So since they didn't exist they cut up lights from another platform and installed them to do the road testing while final production pieces were completed. Keep in mind they had to develop to different sets Halogen and H.I.D.'s.

:notheadlights:

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Also, the pace cars use amber because the yellow signifies caution. They don't want the drivers seeing flashing red which has a different meaning at the track. When behind the pace car all race control lights are yellow.

Give it up on the Pontiac thought. Gone like Donkey Kong, ain't coming back.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
John,

3. Sometimes prototype cars are equipped with whatever parts are available. Sometimes testing, focus groups, etc, prove that a particular design feature just doesn't work or isn't appealing. I think that is the case with these headlights, although someone from GM could probably comment more accurately.

I hope this helps.
Hey, Pete, hows it going?

I have to clarify your statement just a bit. At that stage of a program, all of the parts are intended to be "production like". Some parts, however, like headlamps have longer tooling times and it is known that the early cars will not have the production lampe so they will have a filler lamp. What you saw on the early Camaros was actually a designed part such that all of the electrical is correct, the attachments to the body are correct and the car can be driven on the roads.

In some cases, certain trim pieces may be excluded from the build as well. Or other parts that aren't needed for testing. In some mid year programs they may only tool up parst for one side of the car.

But my department spends a whole lot of time planning to make sure specific parts are available and on the car for test purposes.

So the "whatever parts are available" needed some clarification.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
CG SS

Drives: Truckerton (GMC Sierra 1500 SL)
This website is so friggin' amazingly helpful. Thank you all!

And to Russell James, I have to disagree... Mortal Kombat is a much better video game, and we've seen how well that's done so far. Haha.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Hey, Pete, hows it going?

I have to clarify your statement just a bit. At that stage of a program, all of the parts are intended to be "production like". Some parts, however, like headlamps have longer tooling times and it is known that the early cars will not have the production lampe so they will have a filler lamp. What you saw on the early Camaros was actually a designed part such that all of the electrical is correct, the attachments to the body are correct and the car can be driven on the roads.

In some cases, certain trim pieces may be excluded from the build as well. Or other parts that aren't needed for testing. In some mid year programs they may only tool up parst for one side of the car.

But my department spends a whole lot of time planning to make sure specific parts are available and on the car for test purposes.

So the "whatever parts are available" needed some clarification.
Going very well here! I hope the same is true for you. Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping that someone would step in and provide a more proper explanation on that part of it. And like superman you come flying right in! Thanks for clearing that up.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amber tail lights, concept, heritage grille, trans am