Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #71
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
"The latest hardware and software should start production soon"

so... how does someone here already have the new hardware and software if its not even in production yet?
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #72
Darkone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
This is really strange and I probably shouldnt type this - knock on wood - I have CC/CE and use a USB stick and at other times used a new iPOD. I never had any issues at all. I dont get it. I also use my bluetooth all the time. Maybe I am missing something. The only thing I dont like is if I am listening to the radio, get out of the car, get back in, it defaults to my iPOD all the time instead of the source I was last listening to.
Same here (CC/CE). Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Using iPod classic 80GB 6th gen. I like the default to iPod, radio in my country sucks.
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #73
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
"The latest hardware and software should start production soon"

so... how does someone here already have the new hardware and software if its not even in production yet?
Dont have an answer for you on that, I was wondering that myself. There is probably newer hardware and software available, like for the indexing thing from 2500, up to 10000 songs.. im sure that was a software/hardware update.. BUT apparently, the hardware and software they are developing right now should be the fix to the current issues. No single update will resolve every single issue the very first time. They cant anticipate future issues like static, or software becoming corrupt. When something fails, they'll develope a fix. It sucks that this didnt come absolutely perfect from factory, and i hardly expect it to. Give it some time and i'll be willing to bet the Ford's version will have some issues here and there too.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #74
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
This is really strange and I probably shouldnt type this - knock on wood - I have CC/CE and use a USB stick and at other times used a new iPOD. I never had any issues at all. I dont get it. I also use my bluetooth all the time. Maybe I am missing something. The only thing I dont like is if I am listening to the radio, get out of the car, get back in, it defaults to my iPOD all the time instead of the source I was last listening to.
what size USB stick? how many mp3's do you put on it?

bluetooth is cool... i like it... but i like that i don't have to "charge" my USB stick, or worry about the battery going dead.

i'm currently using an 8GB Sandisk stick, which holds around 1,500 files... and i'm having a helluva time with it. - let alone 2,500 or 10,000

i also HATE that when i'm switching from Radio to USB or CD, that the "Aux Input" comes up even though i never plug anything into that audio jack. in other GM vehicles with 6 CD in dash changers, you are NEVER prompted by the "Aux Input" unless you actually have a cable plugged into that jack.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:47 AM   #75
Darkone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItGreasey View Post
what size USB stick? how many mp3's do you put on it?

bluetooth is cool... i like it... but i like that i don't have to "charge" my USB stick, or worry about the battery going dead.

i'm currently using an 8GB Sandisk stick, which holds around 1,500 files... and i'm having a helluva time with it. - let alone 2,500 or 10,000

i also HATE that when i'm switching from Radio to USB or CD, that the "Aux Input" comes up even though i never plug anything into that audio jack. in other GM vehicles with 6 CD in dash changers, you are NEVER prompted by the "Aux Input" unless you actually have a cable plugged into that jack.
Dude just get an iPod classic. It works great with CC/CE, great sound quality and it gets charged while plugged in (only when the car is running), so you can leave it in the box forever, like I do. I have 55 GB of music in it and no problems indexing and no delay etc etc. It should also be much cheaper than buying/upgrading to a new PDIM.
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #76
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 View Post
Dont have an answer for you on that, I was wondering that myself. There is probably newer hardware and software available, like for the indexing thing from 2500, up to 10000 songs.. im sure that was a software/hardware update.. BUT apparently, the hardware and software they are developing right now should be the fix to the current issues. No single update will resolve every single issue the very first time. They cant anticipate future issues like static, or software becoming corrupt. When something fails, they'll develope a fix. It sucks that this didnt come absolutely perfect from factory, and i hardly expect it to. Give it some time and i'll be willing to bet the Ford's version will have some issues here and there too.
Yea, everyone has there issues. It's how you handle them that matters.
Im not sure if 2011 models have fixed hardware or not, but if they do then why hasn't it been pushed to 2010. And if it's not fixed in the 2011 models yet what's taking so long.
Ford has had issues with there system as well, but I believe it was fixed in under a month. I think it gets updated from a user downloadable update you put on a USB stick. I could be wrong though, I don't own a mustang so I don't really care about there issues and what not.
We have a guy right here on this site that says he's the one who actually wrote the code that's giving everyone problems, but so far hasn't been much help in informing us on a fix. Not to bash Him or anything, just saying.
I've worked in software development for over 10 years and I'm willing to bet GM knew of these issues before the first camaro rolled off the line. But some minor issues with bluetooth connections, and USB input isn't big enough to hold up ship dates. I understand that. What irks me is the car is in it's second production year and shit is still broken.

I have a camaro and a 2010 Malibu and the electronics in both cars so far is a joke. But that's another topic for another day, I'm starting to rant a little. So Ill just end with I hope chevy can get this stuff fixed soon.
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #77
Vancelot

Drives: Camaro 2011 2LT/RS Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkone View Post
Dude just get an iPod classic. It works great with CC/CE, great sound quality and it gets charged while plugged in (only when the car is running), so you can leave it in the box forever, like I do. I have 55 GB of music in it and no problems indexing and no delay etc etc. It should also be much cheaper than buying/upgrading to a new PDIM.
Vancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #78
SDCamaro10

Quote:
The new hardware and software will be covered under warranty. Had mine replaced already under warranty. If your dealer charges you for a new one, when it has obvious problems...time to find a new dealer.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #79
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Quote:
Quote:
The new hardware and software will be covered under warranty. Had mine replaced already under warranty. If your dealer charges you for a new one, when it has obvious problems...time to find a new dealer.
yes, it's a warranty issue.

i talked to a supposed GM Software Tech on the phone while i was at the dealer one day. i told him all the problems i was having, and he told me to get an IPOD. i told him that if all the marketing information and owner's manual had said that it was an IPOD-friendly system ONLY, then i may have bought an IPOD. BUT it says clearly that it plays mp3's off USB flash drives... i already have USB flash drives, so i wont have to spend any more money to listen to my mp3's. this was a MAJOR selling point, especially since we didn't even have the option of an in-dash 6 CD changer where i could have at least burned 4.5GB worth of mp3's to 6 discs and had everything play properly.

i told them to SUCK IT. i want my USB interface to work the way it is described in the owner's manual, with similarities to mp3's being read off burned CD's and similarities to aftermarket stereo units with USB ports.

you can buy an aftermarket car stereo head for less than $200 and it plays mp3's off a USB flash drive with no problems AT ALL.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #80
SDCamaro10

Quote:
yes, it's a warranty issue.

i talked to a supposed GM Software Tech on the phone while i was at the dealer one day. i told him all the problems i was having, and he told me to get an IPOD. i told him that if all the marketing information and owner's manual had said that it was an IPOD-friendly system ONLY, then i may have bought an IPOD. BUT it says clearly that it plays mp3's off USB flash drives... i already have USB flash drives, so i wont have to spend any more money to listen to my mp3's. this was a MAJOR selling point, especially since we didn't even have the option of an in-dash 6 CD changer where i could have at least burned 4.5GB worth of mp3's to 6 discs and had everything play properly.

i told them to SUCK IT. i want my USB interface to work the way it is described in the owner's manual, with similarities to mp3's being read off burned CD's and similarities to aftermarket stereo units with USB ports.

you can buy an aftermarket car stereo head for less than $200 and it plays mp3's off a USB flash drive with no problems AT ALL.
Right. Whats funny, is that a lot of people are having these issues even with an iPod. I used my iPhone, iTouch, iPod Nano, iPod classic, and iPod Shuffle.. same issue with every single one of them so I hardly believe that technician, not even a bit.

Although it was not a selling point for me, but I did special order my car and paid extra for the connection package so it is quite frustrating to pay that much money for something that has issues like it does. Atleast well be seeing a service bulletin soon, and GM is aware of the problem and is trying to fix it.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #81
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Quote:
Right. Whats funny, is that a lot of people are having these issues even with an iPod. I used my iPhone, iTouch, iPod Nano, iPod classic, and iPod Shuffle.. same issue with every single one of them so I hardly believe that technician, not even a bit.

Although it was not a selling point for me, but I did special order my car and paid extra for the connection package so it is quite frustrating to pay that much money for something that has issues like it does. Atleast well be seeing a service bulletin soon, and GM is aware of the problem and is trying to fix it.
thanks for your help dude!

there is a bulletin out (don't know if i still have it or not)... but it describes all the compatible devices... which ipods work well, which don't... which Zunes you can use... etc

but when it comes to the USB flash drive section of the bulletin it says "Not all USB flash drives are supported." so i sat there with the service manager, called that GM tech and asked him Which USB flash drives are supported?

there was no further information on it.

and again... through good old fashioned troubleshooting and the sharing of information of what we know... C5 prevails by apparently knowing more than GM does on this subject

when i started talking about NTFS and FAT32 drive formats and file formats and IDtag info, the service manager was totally lost. i hate having to teach these people how things work so i can then show them how my device is malfunctioning.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #82
SDCamaro10

Quote:
thanks for your help dude!

there is a bulletin out (don't know if i still have it or not)... but it describes all the compatible devices... which ipods work well, which don't... which Zunes you can use... etc

but when it comes to the USB flash drive section of the bulletin it says "Not all USB flash drives are supported." so i sat there with the service manager, called that GM tech and asked him Which USB flash drives are supported?

there was no further information on it.

and again... through good old fashioned troubleshooting and the sharing of information of what we know... C5 prevails by apparently knowing more than GM does on this subject

when i started talking about NTFS and FAT32 drive formats and file formats and IDtag info, the service manager was totally lost. i hate having to teach these people how things work so i can then show them how my device is malfunctioning.
Hmm i'll have to do some googling and see if i can find that bulletin.

I totally agree! You would figure that working at a dealership, especially in the service department, the MANAGERS would know a little something. When I went to the dealership, I got pretty much the same thing, except he went on to tell me that I knew more then even the technicians.

C5 is almost an infinite wealth of knowledge. With the different types of people from all backgrounds and the amount of knowledge and know how, and the sharing of that knowledge, is just incredible. I know that if i didnt read these threads, I would have had no idea about any of these problems, im sure.

You guys rock!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #83
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Old 10-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #84
Dax1592

Drives: 2SS inferno orange/blk rally
Had my car for a year.....usb has never worked correctly and is getting worse. Waiting for the "cure all" update too.
Dax1592 is offline   Reply With Quote