Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
dcoates

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS
SS-M6 engine miss...anyone else experiencing this?

I noticed a slight "rumble" when i took delivery and just figured it was the cam, but it has been getting pronounced to the point that it almost dies after sitting at idle for about 1 minute.

Ihave had it in once before for this, and they told me there wasn't anything they can find.
has anyone else had this happen?
I told the service writer about it at the time i took it in for the Trans.
just would like to be informed before the dealership starts their song and dance.
i've owned plenty of cars, hopped up and not,it just seems that a cam lope was constant, this isn't.
My car has 2600 mi. on it, and is in the shop now for the 2nd gear grinding problem as well.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
I've only noticed mine have the noticeable cam lope when it was cold starting. It never died or anything like that. Sounds like u may have some injector issues maybe?? I don't know.

Sent from my EVO 4G
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
dcoates

anyone else???? just me?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I think they all run a little rough at idle. Mine can be erratic sometimes. I think they just didn't perfect the calibration, ,more than the cam. The stock cam is very mild, not the overlap you would associate with an idle lope.

If it is really missing it would set a check engine light and code. If it's just the normal LS3 rough idle, no light.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
chandler

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I have the LS3 also and it does have a rough idle but it doesn't seem like it is missing or going to die when idling for any length of time. I had the dealer check it and they said that it is running fine and that is fine with me. Without having another car to compare sometimes it is hard to know whether things are operating properly. If your car will not idle consistently at the recommended RPM then that would be cause for concern. Cheers.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #6
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
cam lope is there but doesn't get low in the RPM to stall the engine. Yours is definitely not normal. You using 91+ octane, right? Have you tried the fuse pull?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
joe h

Drives: victory red 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
When mine was younger the the rpms would occasionally drop, car would idle a little rough, but once the light turned green I'd punch it a bit and the car would behave for the rest of the drive.

The car is also very finicky when it comes to gas. Their is a top tier conoco in town that will cause my car to run like crap, but down the street their is a sinclair station that seems to give my car extra hp and better gas mileage. Maybe the place you regularly fill up at has a small trace of water, too much ethanol, or other additives.
joe h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe h View Post
When mine was younger the the rpms would occasionally drop, car would idle a little rough, but once the light turned green I'd punch it a bit and the car would behave for the rest of the drive.

The car is also very finicky when it comes to gas. Their is a top tier conoco in town that will cause my car to run like crap, but down the street their is a sinclair station that seems to give my car extra hp and better gas mileage. Maybe the place you regularly fill up at has a small trace of water, too much ethanol, or other additives.
Yup, dirty gas is a possible cause.

Get some fresh gas, and maybe put some injector cleaner or sta-bil in it, too.
Rock-It Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
All LS3's have a +/-50 rpm wobble at idle. It's normal. What you are describing is not. Can you have another (better) dealer's service department take a look?

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
dcoates

dealer says it's normal...died twice at a light ?? normal ???
another dealer is in the cards for me.
a little rumble i can live with, but dying?
always with the 91 havent tried the fuse pull yet...i think i will tho.
thanks for the input.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #11
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
get a tune

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoates View Post
dealer says it's normal...died twice at a light ?? normal ???
another dealer is in the cards for me.
a little rumble i can live with, but dying?
always with the 91 havent tried the fuse pull yet...i think i will tho.
thanks for the input.
Mine has a very rough idle that will bounce 100 rpm or more. This normally happens when I've been on the hiway for a while, get off on an exit, and catch a redlight. The problem is it's erradic and inconsistant. Mine was worse right after I got it, but like you it didn't throw codes and the dealership couldn't duplicate. I found a TSB talking about the crank position sensor and it's connectors. When I went to look at what I assumed was this sensor, mine wasn't plugged in all of the way. Once I plugged it in, things seemed a lot smoother. The TSB talked about inspecting the pins on the harness connector and sensor, and pulling the sensor to look for debris iirc.

Edit: this may be it.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=rough+idle

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote