Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-30-2015, 05:21 AM   #29
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
Because it is the "General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion" sub forum. Would you rather have discussions about other cars with the owners of other cars or just with fellow Camaro owners that only read about other cars?
I have no issue with mustang owners, but I don't understand why some of them are on here just to talk trash. How sad could your life be? I seen a post of a Camaro owner that got his wheels stolen and a mustang owner posts "well it looks better now". Or like the guy in here saying everyone and their grandma apparently owns a Camaro. Even though there are more retro mustangs on the road then Camaro SMH!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #30
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
I believe they went with the 1.7 due to hood clearance. not sure if a 2.3 would fit. I could be wrong though but im pretty sure I remember that.
I believe Vengeance Racing (or another tuner) already states a 2.3 will fit, and they are working on a kit. They are getting 700 rwhp + from the 1.7 though and its still not tapped out.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #31
VRYALT3R3D

Drives: 2015 GT, 1LE next?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAZ1990 View Post
Never really understood why people with mustangs are on this forum
You are quite welcoming
Old 01-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #32
MLAZ1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
You are quite welcoming

No I'm joking lol! I said I have no issue with mustang owners on here. Just the ones that talk trash!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #33
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
I don't talk trash, I speak the truth. Sometimes.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #34
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
I believe Vengeance Racing (or another tuner) already states a 2.3 will fit, and they are working on a kit. They are getting 700 rwhp + from the 1.7 though and its still not tapped out.
i mean i guess that answers that. im sure GM had a hp # they wanted and found that it was attainable with a 1.7. if not they would have gone with a 2.3.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #35
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
i mean i guess that answers that. im sure GM had a hp # they wanted and found that it was attainable with a 1.7. if not they would have gone with a 2.3.
The detailed write up about the LT4 engine development did say packaging was the reason for the smaller 1.7L blower.

Quote:
SUPERCHARGER AND INTERCOOLER
In order to fit the supercharger within the confines of the C7 Corvette and still meet pedestrian safety regulations for vehicles sold in Europe, an intercooler design like the one found on the LS9 wasn’t going to work. There had to be area under the hood available for the bodywork to deflect and absorb impact before hitting anything solid. To keep the sleek lines of the C7 Corvette intact and still give the driver a great view of the track ahead, engineer Dan Hommes was tasked with removing 3 inches of height out of the supercharger and intercooler assembly without losing airflow or power. In engineering terms, that’s quite a challenge, as the LS9 was already very compact.

Dan Hommes was responsible for making the LT4’s supercharger/intercooler/intake assembly as compact as possible without impeding airflow. With the lid off the assembly, you can see the intercooler heat exchangers. Cool water comes in to the front port, it’s split to each side, and runs to the back and comes forward, so heat absorption is equal from front to back. Because water is better at heat absorption, the intercooler circuit runs 60 percent water and 40 percent Dexcool for better heat rejection. In comparison, the engine coolant runs a 50/50 mix.

In the LS9, the intercooler heat exchangers are in the lid, the only place to put them because the Eaton TVS 2300 supercharger rotors take up a lot of room in the lifter valley. The rocker covers weren’t going to change, so that meant the supercharger couldn’t get any wider. The solution was to use supercharger rotors 10mm smaller in diameter. The existing TVS 1650 rotor size was not quite large enough for the power levels the LT4 team was targeting. To get more air volume, Eaton built a longer set of TVS 1650 rotors that displace 1,740 cc per revolution, a size unique to the LT4. The smaller-diameter rotors mean less air per revolution, but the reduced mass and inertia allow them to turn 34 percent faster than the 2300 rotor set. In the LS9, max supercharger speed was 15,080 rpm; on the LT4, the rotors spin at 20,150 rpm at max engine speed. An added benefit of the smaller supercharger rotors is that less torque is required to drive them.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/feature_storie...#ixzz3QR2MjNKK

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:53 PM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Just because there is space under the hood does not mean that GM can fit a larger supercharger. There are regulations in Europe for pedestrian impact. One of the requirements are that pedestrians can't hit solid engine bits (such as a super charger) with their heads during a collision. The simplest solution is to leave a bit of extra space between the hood and the engine, a bigger supercharger would require the hood to be even taller -which could mess with aesthetics and/or aerodynamics.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #37
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Just because there is space under the hood does not mean that GM can fit a larger supercharger. There are regulations in Europe for pedestrian impact. One of the requirements are that pedestrians can't hit solid engine bits (such as a super charger) with their heads during a collision. The simplest solution is to leave a bit of extra space between the hood and the engine, a bigger supercharger would require the hood to be even taller -which could mess with aesthetics and/or aerodynamics.
This is why many cars are getting chunky in the front end.

In some countries like Japan, you are more likely to get killed from being hit BY a car than being killed while IN a car.

So Front Engine low cars like the Corvette are at a slight disadvantage in this regard.

There are some people proposing things like airbags on the hood and hood hinges that will pop up during a pedestrian impact to create more space between the hood and the engine compartment.

http://www.patents.com/us-6415882.html
Old 02-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #38
Erik427

Drives: 1970 Camaro, 2011 Mustang GT, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit_thumper View Post
You guys think that GM may just go ahead and start producing the new Z06 with the 2.3l supercharger instead of the 1.7l in the coming years?

Sounds like that is all this car needs
I think GM is saving that for the next ZR1. From what I've heard, expect around 750-770HP. Displacement of the motor is unknown. Maybe just maybe a 7 liter LT variant will happen. I've also heard that it could be a TT 4.5 liter DOHC motor. I hope for the GM crowd that this holds true.
Erik427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #39
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
This is why many cars are getting chunky in the front end.

In some countries like Japan, you are more likely to get killed from being hit BY a car than being killed while IN a car.

So Front Engine low cars like the Corvette are at a slight disadvantage in this regard.

There are some people proposing things like airbags on the hood and hood hinges that will pop up during a pedestrian impact to create more space between the hood and the engine compartment.

http://www.patents.com/us-6415882.html
Something like this:
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #40
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAZ1990 View Post
I have no issue with mustang owners, but I don't understand why some of them are on here just to talk trash. How sad could your life be? I seen a post of a Camaro owner that got his wheels stolen and a mustang owner posts "well it looks better now". Or like the guy in here saying everyone and their grandma apparently owns a Camaro. Even though there are more retro mustangs on the road then Camaro SMH!
To be fair, he wasn't talking trash, he was 100% correct. The time that was released was bogus. There is no official track time yet, it was just a made up time someone derived based on the run in Virginia. You'll know when there is an official time, don't worry.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #41
MLAZ1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_Cam View Post
To be fair, he wasn't talking trash, he was 100% correct. The time that was released was bogus. There is no official track time yet, it was just a made up time someone derived based on the run in Virginia. You'll know when there is an official time, don't worry.
Saying everyone and their grandma drives a Camaro is dumb when you drive a mustang...there are more mustangs on the road than Camaros.............
Old 02-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #42
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
I must of missed where he said that, but either way, both cars are pretty generic mid-level sports cars. I mean I know our Camaro's are all special to us, but in the grand scheme of cars in general, they aren't special at all.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote