Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Gator6977

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
DIY sequential turn signals?

I've searched and searched online and cannot find a simple answer, or a complicated one for that matter. I want a similar effect like the ones from webelectricproducts.com. In theory, all that needs spliced into the outside lamp wire, is a timer switch. Shy of buying a pair to reverse engineer them, I'm asking if anyone here knows a DIY.

For all you lazy people, and as the "Go Advanced" function seems to not be working, there is a small write up on the bottom of page 5 you can skip to.

Last edited by Gator6977; 11-03-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Gator6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Mrvnmartian

Drives: 2010 SGM 1LT (Manual)
I got mine from southern car parts and they are great, IMO.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92579
Mods: Flowmaster, Solar Gard Window Tint, Front Bowtie from Gary's Customs, Green LED dome & trunk lights from AAC, Painted calipers used G2 paint, Emblem Pro underhood bowtie, Stealth Bulb turn signals.
Mrvnmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Gator6977

Those are what I'm wanting to replicate. I want to know how they work.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Essentially it is a resistor that slows down the light bulb rate of blinking. If you wire in a resistor in the power line it would work, but the question is how much milliamps of resistor to use.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
In the name of DIY, I cannibalized one of my sequential tail lights... I bought this set over a year ago from a guy who told me that this was his last set and he would not be making any more. I went with this set because it's more or less a modified stock bulb socket. I didn't like the idea of the harness plugging into the original bulb socket, and the "weather proof" harness plug cover. To me this seems much cleaner... Personal preference...

The chips on the circuit board read:

VND830SP (Top side, was facing away from the bulb socket)

8C626 (All of these on the bottom side, facing the bulb socket)
00S2
618 51B

The socket has 3 holes drilled in the back of it,it appears the bulb socket was drilled through the incoming power pin (right side), one wire was soldered to the pin that went to (through) the circuit, and another wire out to the OE power pin at the far end away from the plug. One hole drilled for ground pin access.

I'm hoping some mechanical genius can figure this out. If you need better pics let me know... The circuit is somewhat messed up as it was completely covered in what looked like JB weld, and I cut it all off with a razor knife (it took a while).

To me it really looks like this circuit was robbed out of some other electrical device, and cut down to just what it needed to make this work.
Attached Images

Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
In the name of DIY, I cannibalized one of my sequential tail lights... I bought this set over a year ago from a guy who told me that this was his last set and he would not be making any more. I went with this set because it's more or less a modified stock bulb socket. I didn't like the idea of the harness plugging into the original bulb socket, and the "weather proof" harness plug cover. To me this seems much cleaner... Personal preference...

The chips on the circuit board read:

VND830SP (Top side, was facing away from the bulb socket)

8C626 (All of these on the bottom side, facing the bulb socket)
00S2
618 51B

The socket has 3 holes drilled in the back of it,it appears the bulb socket was drilled through the incoming power pin (right side), one wire was soldered to the pin that went to (through) the circuit, and another wire out to the OE power pin at the far end away from the plug. One hole drilled for ground pin access.

I'm hoping some mechanical genius can figure this out. If you need better pics let me know... The circuit is somewhat messed up as it was completely covered in what looked like JB weld, and I cut it all off with a razor knife (it took a while).

To me it really looks like this circuit was robbed out of some other electrical device, and cut down to just what it needed to make this work.

That Was definetly robbed out of someother device.... But I have no idea.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I've been looking at circuit schematics trying to come up with something... It looks like it should be as easy as a diode, capacitor, and a resistor of the proper values (which I haven't determined yet) to get the timing right?

I have a bunch of random caps, and resistors left from a megasquirt build as well as some LEDs... I will start playing with this to see if I can come up with something.

Ideally I would personally like a delay off as well to get that "true" sequential effect (IE one comes on, second one comes on, first one goes out, second one goes out)... Thoughts?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Gator6977

That could look sweet. I did some more digging and came up with the same thought that a resistor/capacitor would cause a small delay in the signal being sent. I don't know that a diode would be necessary as there isn't a signal/power being sent backwards. If I could just figure out these darn fangled calculators to figure the delay...
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
JohnJr
Retired USAF

Drives: 2011 2SS A6 RJT
I've held off buying this set-up because there's just not enough delay to give the desired effect. RacnJsn95 - The set up you mention is exactly what I'm looking for. I think they'd sell like hot cakes. "Knudge, knudge".
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
iKeablr

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2011 RS 1LT
I've tried this with a resistor and capacitor though it only works with a delay when turning off. Due to the capacitor being slowly drained of its energy through the bulb. I think the easiest way to replicate this would be a 555 timer. You can adjust delay precisely how you want it and with the 555 timer it will still be a small circuit just like the others that are being sold. Hope this info helps. I got some more information if anybody needs it.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #11
Gator6977

What all does the 555 timer need to be put in place?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Sequential lights are done with a Binary count chip, you can get them with different amounts of outputs, the output are Sequential so if you put the outputs to your lights they would be sequential, What you need is the binary chip and a transistor to drive the lights. about $20 in parts
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Gator6977

Any recommendation on type and schematic, not the fancy ones but the ones drawn with crayon for us simple minded folk to read?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator6977 View Post
Any recommendation on type and schematic, not the fancy ones but the ones drawn with crayon for us simple minded folk to read?
I'll take a ride this weekend to the Electronic store and pick up the parts, I'll do a little breadboarding and when I get it working, I'll post schematic
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote