Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #1
3Black
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6
Struggle with Neighbors Continue

Had another one of my neighbors talk to me. He told me that I should push my car out of the street because his 7 year old son gets scared. My car only has NPP and high flow cats. His reason was that his son "plugs his ears" when I go by their house. I try to be quite by driving in third or fourth even . He also said that his son went and got his black hotwheels and said he doesn't want them anymore because they are "mean cars". Car part of me felt amused at it, the good part of me felt bad, and my dick part wanted to tell him to teach his son to man the f*** up. But in all seriousness, my car is louder than your average Camry however in no way is it loud enough to have 3 letters from HOA and 2 anonymous letters from neighbors. I know the whole move out of HOAs and California argument but I have to be here for a couple more years. At least the guy came up and talked to me about it not open my mailbox and write an anonymous letter.
3Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #2
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Drives: none
Got a video of how loud it is?
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
Wacko37

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2007 2500HD D-Max
pull the cat back off and show them what load means! lol I would express to them that its mostly OEM equipment. I hate when people have nothing better to do but complain about dumb things!
2010 Summit white SS/RS, Manzo full exhaust w/2" primaries, Roto-Fab intake, FE4 conversion, JRI Coilovers built by Ult_Performance w/hypercoils, BMR sway, BMR trailing arms, UMI toe links, solid sub-frame bushings, upper control arm bushings, radius inserts, caster locks, Taylor wires, BTR spec'd cam, tuned by ECS, various little lighting mods, ebay SLP splitter, Heritage grille, ZL1 rockers, Apex 19x11 w/RE-71r's 305/30/19, eaton tru-trac

2007 2500HD Duramax, Built trans, custom tuned beast
Wacko37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
rfopt

Drives: 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Are your NPP exhaust flaps set to the open position when you are cruising by them? Also were they complaining when your car didn't have the high flow cats? It sounds like your neighbors would complain even if your car was NPP bone stock.
rfopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
HOAs can be a real pain in the butt, but I assume you read it before you signed it so... you are obliged to live by it. What specifically does it say about loud cars? Does it define "loud", as in having an acceptable decibel range?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #6
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
With 5 different letters, it may be loader than you think.. Any chance of posting a video of it at take off?

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #7
1COR.1:18
Whosoever Will

Drives: 2010 1LT Victory Red
Have you ever offered to take his 7 year old son for a ride?

Might change his mind.
1COR.1:18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #8
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Mild2wild switch and set it to mild when in your neighborhood? I'm extremely lucky my neighbors have not complained about my car
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #9
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacko37 View Post
I would express to them that its mostly OEM equipment. I hate when people have nothing better to do but complain about dumb things!
Obviously, we don't know how loud OP's exhaust is and it seems he does what he can to be as quiet as possible while in his neighborhood. But, there can be a hell of a difference between "stock" and "mostly stock" when it comes to exhaust systems. High flow cats can make a big difference over stock cats and the NPP is already significantly louder that non-NPP exhaust (even though NPP could be considered "stock").

Also, it's not a "dumb thing" if the neighbors bought their homes in a place with a HOA to avoid such aggravation.

If I were OP though, I would want to see how the HOA defines loud exhaust before doing anything to the car. Above all, courtesy to others in the HOA should prevail.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 01-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #10
presholt33
Account Suspended

Drives: too numerous
This is nuts he needs to tell the kid it's alright.If this kid is this delicate now wait until he grows up.But on the other hand, this maybe a classic case of parents using the kid as an excuse.This kid would have a stroke with me. I have headers high flow cats and muffler delete.
presholt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #11
brwk

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible - sold
Just put the original cats back on and call it a day. Its only for 2 years and in that time you can save your cash for many other upgrades later. Not a battle that I would do, a$$hole neighbors within an HOA plus in CA seems to be uphill.

Last edited by brwk; 01-25-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: editted for my word....dont want to be banned for my opinion
brwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #12
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
For some reason I believe it's the adult that has a problem and just doesn't have the courage to say so. So he is hiding behind his son. My grand daughter is 5 and loves when I start up my SS in the garage. I have a Magnaflow exhaust. I just can't imagine a 7 year old boy not finding that cool. When I cruise through my community most little kids are like "Wow"
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Tough call here. I think you are approaching it the right way and thinking though all aspects of this with the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. But having fights and disputes within neighborhoods usually doesn't bode well for anyone. And by the evidence you've submitted to us here with multiple complaints from multiple neighbors...it seems your exhaust is probably much louder than you think....and too loud for most people.

My advice would be to get an exhaust diverter so you can keep it quiet in the neighborhood and loud out in town and on the feeways.

Good luck!
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #14
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by presholt33 View Post
This is nuts he needs to tell the kid it's alright.If this kid is this delicate now wait until he grows up.But on the other hand, this maybe a classic case of parents using the kid as an excuse.This kid would have a stroke with me. I have headers high flow cats and muffler delete.
It's not just the guy with the kid, who at least complained to OP face to face. OP has received 5 (Five) letters from other neighbors, with the same complaint.

Excessively loud exhaust is generally disrespectful to everyone within earshot. The fact that OP is in a neighborhood that has a HOA kind of puts him in the wrong if neighbors are complaining. I am still curious what (specifically) the HOA agreement states about automobile exhaust sound levels.