Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #43
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
trust me when i say 2.5 years is not enough. Been driving for 6 years and I'm still waiting 1-2 years to get a 5th gen.

You are not an experienced driver.

I'm in the same boat as Milk here, i'm just a bit younger. and trust us all, he's right. if you HAVE to have a camaro (for whatever reason), get an LT, or a LS. i've got about 4 years of LEGAL driving under my belt, and as much as i like to think i'm an experienced driver, i know i'm not. i hope you don't get an SS, i don't want to read about an SS being wrapped around a lightpole, and especially not anyone being injured because they can't handle the power.

my friend, the old SS's and Z-28's were stupid fast. This one's faster.

And to "Milk 1027": Props to the Safety Dance
moto-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #44
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-camaro View Post
aw milk, no more dance? seeing that vid made my day
It's still there just not loading for some reason.

on topic: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...67&postcount=5

Every time I think of this, I get a little scared thinking of what this 5th gen will do.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #45
aborrego

Drives: 2002 chevy tracker
kids that young give other young drivers bad names. you should really be glad your parents really love you and wait till you are really ready for that much car (V6). but just my oppinion.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #46
gm4life05sle

Drives: Torrent, Bonneville, Impala
My son wants a Camaro 1SS when he is done with school (college) and has a job... That is at least two years off! I will prolly help him some with the SS as his father, but at 16, that is ALOT of car. He started out driving a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix LE Sedan with 3.1L V6 and that still was plently of car for him. A few weeks after he turned 16 back over the mail-box, do you really want this to happen to a 30,000 new car? A Camaro SS none the less? Shit happens and my son knows he isn't ready for a Camaro at 19 yet! I would save the 20K, ask for something like in the 10K range you can get a new Cobalt or Aveo for that! My son is currently driving my "old" 2001 Impala Sedan and were thinking about adding another car for my daughter so she can have the Impala, and were considering used (06 and up) Impala's, GP's, G6's, G5's, Cobalt's or possibly a new Aveo 1LT! The Cobalt and Aveo are high on my sons list because he can learn stick for the Camaro! (I am learning myself still with a friend!) 400 hell 300 hp is too much for you! Dream son, dream all about it and look foward to getting one when you for sure out of highschool or better yet trade school or college. At this age I WOULD NOT DO IT! Great car to love, but give it some time.

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but the best things in life you wait for! Your mom maybe even for the first time son is right!

2007 Pontiac Torrent FWD
2005 Chevrolet Impala LS
2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan
Coming someday... A 5th Gen Camaro SS
gm4life05sle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 AM   #47
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
You will not be able to afford the insurance, and they will drop you at the first sign of trouble with any model Camaro....trust me. Do all of our insurance premiums a favor and get a Hyundai!

Man to think I bought my own 75 Chevy Malibu Classic back in 86 as my first car and my parents gave me the first years insurance ($900) back then. Freakin' parents today should not buy ANY KID a car, they will have a warped sense of value for the rest of their lives..........save and buy your own damn car, like the other 17 year old kid said........Now that kid I have respect for!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #48
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
yeah saw it just took a few minutes to load up, must have clicked delete on my post while you were posting.

yes, back on topic--> that much power to the rear wheels, combined with inexperience, is a dangerous combination. Read Milk's story, and make sure you learn something from it.
moto-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:52 AM   #49
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Z View Post
Lay off the kid...i planned to get a Terminator Cobra as a first car.
And I planned to get a 1969 L88 corvette. Doesn't mean I did, and it doesn't mean I should have. I ended up getting a 1990 buick century, because my step-dad (being a mechanic) took the money my brother and I had saved up and picked out two cars that ran great. I took the one with the higher horsepower (185 > 85). And I did stupid s*** with it. And almost got in a number of accidents. Got pulled over going 66 in a 40, and only got away with it by the skin of my teeth.

My second car, I moved up in power and got a 1986 IROC with an engine swap. It was running right at about 300 horsepower. I nearly killed myself a few times.

Look, I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do with your life. But understand that there are people here who have been driving 10-20 times as long as you, with easily 1000 times the miles under the belt. I would have loved that IROC as my first car. But I probably would have totalled it. And not necessarily because I would have done something stupid, but because of that first rule my mom taught me when she taught my brother and I to drive...

PEOPLE.....

ARE....

STUPID! and require you to drive for them. Other people will do stupid things around you no matter how good of a driver you are. You have to get to the point where you can react quickly and appropriately to their stupidity. And with a 400+ horsepower car that is a lot more difficult than you would think. Ever had to evade a dog running out in front of you when you're driving 70+ on a really, really dark highway?

I have. How about a deer? Done that too. When I first started driving, I would have ended up in the ditch so fast its not even funny. Just be careful. Its better to wait 5 years for your camaro than to die 5 weeks after you get it.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #50
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I don't know what to say, cause you will do whatever you want, but I would say at the very MOST get the LT, and otherwise get a beater to take the little dings, scratched wheels from the occasional curb rub and other things that will happen as you start gaining more driving experience.

And as to Milks statement of "when you can avoid hitting a light pole and a bus full of people, while going sideways at 50mph, then and only then shall I even think of considering you an experienced driver."

I will help you out with the answer. An experienced driver will never get him/herself into this situation of being sideways and headed towards busses or light posts. That's the best avoidance.
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #51
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
when you can avoid hitting a light pole and a bus full of people, while going sideways at 50mph, then and only then shall I even think of considering you an experienced driver.
pshhh that's easy. but i wouldn't encourage them to try...
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #52
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
I don't know what to say, cause you will do whatever you want, but I would say at the very MOST get the LT, and otherwise get a beater to take the little dings, scratched wheels from the occasional curb rub and other things that will happen as you start gaining more driving experience.

And as to Milks statement of "when you can avoid hitting a light pole and a bus full of people, while going sideways at 50mph, then and only then shall I even think of considering you an experienced driver."

I will help you out with the answer. An experienced driver will never get him/herself into this situation of being sideways and headed towards busses or light posts. That's the best avoidance.
true but if read the link on post 44 you would see my situation was unavoidable.

I guess what I mean to say is Sh** happens.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #53
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
It's still there just not loading for some reason.

on topic: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...67&postcount=5

Every time I think of this, I get a little scared thinking of what this 5th gen will do.
hopefully the STABILITRAK will kick in lol
glad to hear you're ok and you avoided the accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
...An experienced driver will never get him/herself into this situation of being sideways and headed towards busses or light posts. That's the best avoidance.
Doesn't matter how experienced you are, like milk said SH^^ happens sometimes its unavoidable, sometimes it's out of your hands completely, sometimes you make an honest mistake, NASCAR driver's have EXPERIENCE does taht mean Tony Stuarts never been in an accident or almost ?? lol
Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 AM   #54
crazz28

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS, '10 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestripes17 View Post
my dad has brought me home corvettes, roush, g8s to drive before and now he says i dont need it cause my mom doesnt want me in it he would get it for me but its always the mom
There's so much I want to say about this situation it hurts.
First off, I'd buy your mother a present or something with that money, she's just making sure you live past 18.
No matter what you say, the situational awareness of a 16 y.o. is below crappy. It doesn't matter if he brought you home an F1 car, that doesn't mean you're experienced. Those cars do whatever you want them to, that's not experience, that's just sitting in a nice car and making it move. I could give you my sunfire and a gravel road and I'd bet you'd be in the ditch within 10miles, and you probably wouldn't have hit the speed limit yet. I've seen it happen all around where I live, young kids that think they can drive but end up in the ditch or in other accidents, mostly with a friend or two in the car. You are 16, you get a couple buddies in a 426hp Camaro and it can only go downhill from there.
If I was you and I was getting a 20k gift, I'd tell my parents to put some into some mutual funds or something, and maybe buy a nicer used car with the rest. No use wasting a huge gift like that on a heavily depreciating LIABILITY, I don't even consider vehicles assets.

All that said, it's your life, and as much as I hate to say it, you can do whatever you want.

BTW, I'll write you a cheque now if you want, but the repayment plan is 10% monthly interest........cheaper than a credit card.....huh.....huh....maybe sleep on that one.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #55
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Here's the deal. You love a great car. It contains a high amount of badassery, but you likely don't have the maturity to drive it yet. Yes—you probably can handle the horsepower and torque, but I'm not sure that you're prepared for a car this badass. You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
Another sig worthy quote from Blur.

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #56
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
I have to agree with the majority here. Get something decent to drive for a few years and then move up. Anyone who thinks that 400+ horsepower isn't much obviously doesn't know how much it REALLY is.

Hey, I'm not jumping on your case but, I don't want to see more stories about kids getting killed in a hot car. First, I don't wan anyone killed. Second, I am tired of people using it as ammo to try to force HP limits.

It becomes obvious from your posts that you are pretty normal for a teenager, you know everything. You'll be amazed at how much you don't know as soon as you get past that.

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ss, camaro, car, fast