Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
marcvilla

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
Help!! Help!! Help!!

What’s up guys, I have a problem with my Camaro I never seen before, I’m turning to you guys for help!! A couple of weeks ago my car started idling rough at stop lights, the RPM would fluctuate it would dip below 500 shake a little and shoot back up to 500, to which I said “what the devil!!” she has never done that before. After a couple of days I get some ELCs, I got to the dealer right, to get her checked out, dude at the dealer tells me it’s going to be $125 to diagnose it, with the biggest deuchbag smile I’ve ever seen, so I reply screw that Autozone does it for free99!! They plug the code reader at the zone and I get codes P0171 & P0174, both fuel banks are running rich or lean. The codes say it might be a fuel pressure thing or a MAF sensor thing. So I read up on it and find out MAFs get dirty from time to time and they are recommended to be cleaned with every oil change, especially if using aftermarket oiled air cleaner, OMG!! I did just install a K&N oiled air filter a few months back, that’s got be it right?!! So I pull the MAF sensor, cleaned it thoroughly with the appropriate cleaner, and at first it seemed like it got the job done, it idled fine she was back to normal, lord behold a day or two later she is idling rough again, “damn it to hell!!” this is where I get scared, I’m running low on gas so I pull up to the gas station, fill her up, I go to start her and my jaw drops when she just turns turns turns and no magic!! I couldn’t believe it!! I got out walked around her in disbelief, nah she is ok it’s just a hiccup I get in turn the key and she starts. But dudes I get the ELCs back and she does that every time I put gas, and still idling rough, she hasn’t been the same. So I figure it’s a fuel pressure thing but I have never seen this before, so I turn to you guys in desperation, those of you with much higher mechanical skills than my own, please help me make her whole again.
marcvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvilla View Post
What’s up guys, I have a problem with my Camaro I never seen before, I’m turning to you guys for help!! A couple of weeks ago my car started idling rough at stop lights, the RPM would fluctuate it would dip below 500 shake a little and shoot back up to 500, to which I said “what the devil!!” she has never done that before. After a couple of days I get some ELCs, I got to the dealer right, to get her checked out, dude at the dealer tells me it’s going to be $125 to diagnose it, with the biggest deuchbag smile I’ve ever seen, so I reply screw that Autozone does it for free99!! They plug the code reader at the zone and I get codes P0171 & P0174, both fuel banks are running rich or lean. The codes say it might be a fuel pressure thing or a MAF sensor thing. So I read up on it and find out MAFs get dirty from time to time and they are recommended to be cleaned with every oil change, especially if using aftermarket oiled air cleaner, OMG!! I did just install a K&N oiled air filter a few months back, that’s got be it right?!! So I pull the MAF sensor, cleaned it thoroughly with the appropriate cleaner, and at first it seemed like it got the job done, it idled fine she was back to normal, lord behold a day or two later she is idling rough again, “damn it to hell!!” this is where I get scared, I’m running low on gas so I pull up to the gas station, fill her up, I go to start her and my jaw drops when she just turns turns turns and no magic!! I couldn’t believe it!! I got out walked around her in disbelief, nah she is ok it’s just a hiccup I get in turn the key and she starts. But dudes I get the ELCs back and she does that every time I put gas, and still idling rough, she hasn’t been the same. So I figure it’s a fuel pressure thing but I have never seen this before, so I turn to you guys in desperation, those of you with much higher mechanical skills than my own, please help me make her whole again.
Step 1 - Realize that Auto Zone doesn't diagnose anything
Step 2- Stop being such a cheap skate and go have your dealer look at it
Step 3- problem will be solved
Old 11-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
BLACKVORTECHSS
Matthew Pigott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Does the KN cold air have the valve cover breather port properly connected to the intake tube? I've seen this cause a lean condition and rough idle a few times. What do your plugs look like?
BLACKVORTECHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
marcvilla

its not a CAI its just a K&N filter, using the OEM equipment
Old 11-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
BLACKVORTECHSS
Matthew Pigott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Gotcha. I would advise you bite bullet and dealer service the car If you're still under warranty
BLACKVORTECHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
wocampb

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE BRM, '12 Cruze LT 6M
I would start by putting the stock filter back on and seeing if that corrects the issue. If that doesn't correct the issue then go to the dealer and figure out what the problem is. Which dealer are you taking it to out here?
4B00 - 10/30/13
Arrived at dealer - 11/12/13
Arrived in my garage - 11/15/13
SLP Supercharger, SLP headers, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 1in Hotchkis Springs, SLP Cold-Air Intake, Painted Chrome Strip, Painted Rear Valance, and more to come soon.
wocampb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
Scott 78

Drives: 2014 SIM SS 6M
Is the car still under warranty? How can a dealer charge to diagnose a car that is throwing CEL's?
Scott 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Step 1 - Realize that Auto Zone doesn't diagnose anything
Step 2- Stop being such a cheap skate and go have your dealer look at it
Step 3- problem will be solved
Real step 1: Of course AutoZone can help diagnose a problem... if you do not own an OBD reader, then a trip to AutoZone is an excellent first step for those who are more of the "I can fix this" instead of the "Somebody else please fix this thing for me" type.
Real step 2: Working on figuring the problem out first before running to the dealer with your wallet open, begging them to take however much they want is a lot smarter, for those who value their dollar and have the ability to do things for themselves.
Real step 3: The dealer is as likely to solve your problem as he is to insist that you need new washer bearings, headlamp purging, and transmission transmorgrification. But, whether he solves the problem or not, if you pay a dealer, you can know that you just paid top dollar.. the highest going rate.

You are taking the right steps, by checking with AutoZone, using their OBD, and asking here. This forum is filled with advice, 80% good, 20% not so much.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
that bullshit, your car is under warranty so theres no reason why you should be getting charged to diagnose anything. take it back and get big with them
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
marcvilla

Yeah the car is under warranty still it only has 45k, I'll try the dealer where i bought the car originally
Old 11-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
marcvilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocampb View Post
I would start by putting the stock filter back on and seeing if that corrects the issue. If that doesn't correct the issue then go to the dealer and figure out what the problem is. Which dealer are you taking it to out here?
I took it to Chapman Chevrolet, in Tempe, I work right by it. I bought it at Midway Chevrolet, I have never had a problem with Midway, and one of the things that rubbed me the wrong way about this guy he asked me where i bought it and he was like "oh, well its gonna be this much . . . " why does that matter? Anyway, wont be buying from them any time soon
Old 11-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
marcvilla

I been reading more about the issue, some people have had that problem and mentioned that in their case the purge valve on the emission canister is stuck open allowing gas from the tank to flood the engine when refilling, they all had the same symptoms.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
wocampb

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE BRM, '12 Cruze LT 6M
If you bought it from Midway and take it back there let me know. I know a few of the service guys over there really well and can help you out. I don't live too far from that dealer either.
4B00 - 10/30/13
Arrived at dealer - 11/12/13
Arrived in my garage - 11/15/13
SLP Supercharger, SLP headers, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 1in Hotchkis Springs, SLP Cold-Air Intake, Painted Chrome Strip, Painted Rear Valance, and more to come soon.
wocampb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
This doesn't really make sense. Your car is a 2013 and therefore under warranty. The dealer is not going to charge to find the issue. Also, do yourself a favor and get a bluetooth plug in and app on your phone to read your own codes. It only costs about ten bucks to acquire what you need.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote