Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

View Poll Results: To hood wrap or not?
GM. I don't like the hood wrap, please remove it 27 36.49%
GM. Keep the black hood wrap. 47 63.51%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking Camaro SS 1LE is the Bosse's Boss at the track. But the hood wrap?

I really think that the Camaro ILE is a great track prep car, that is at the reach of many track aficionados, and that it put in shame many other expensive cars, by checking the fastestlaps.com VIR lap times, it was very close to the '05 Z06 (2:58.20), and faster than the Corvette Grand Sport, Audi R8 V10, Ford GT, Porsche Panamera Turbo S, '08 Corvette Z51, '05 Viper SRT-10, '06 Porsche 911 GT3, Mustang Boss Laguna (and any Mustang, except the '13 Shelby GT500), Porsche Cayman R, Cadillac CTS-V, etc. (the list is long).
What I don't think that is a good choice from GM and looks horrible is the black hood vinyl wrap (very bad choice).
If I was free to chose how I wanted my future Camaro SS 1LE, I will include:
The Black Stripe Package or the black transformer edition style.
Ground Effect Package,
High wing spoiler
Active Exhaust.

GM, please allow us the choice of stripe vinyl (not the full hood one).

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 08-20-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: correction
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Jakeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Went to the website and see no time listed at VIR for the 1LE. SS is 58th on the list. From where did you get the time for the 1LE?
Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Bosse'sBoss

In several places on the web. This is one of them:
http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...ps-vir-2-58-34
Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
The hood wrap actually looks pretty good in person. I say a yellow and red one last week.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
Hood wrap's tacky, and extra maintenance. Looks as cool as it does on all the civics and dubz.

Paying for a tacky trend that is a few years late. Ought to be optional (so that those who like it can choose it) , or not at all imo.

Wraps and such should be factory OPTIONS or... aftermarket personal touches that individuals select of their own free will in order to make the car at least a little different from a handful of the others in the neighborhood.

The most frustrating part is that it is strictly an aesthetic mod, that has no impact on performance... being forced into a performance/handling package. Obviously this addition is factored into the cost and we foot the bill like it or not.

Stripes were optional.. TF package optional... even wheels have options.. (All visual aesthetic OPTIONS) Why suddenly is this new vinyl mandatory?

Even the fake mud on the SVT Raptor was optional.. And they charged a massive premium for it which probably brought them a lot of profit. (Thankfully I didn't have to pay for it and remove it).

If the vinyl for this package was at least unique and customized to a 1le theme in some way..... At least it would make a little more sense... But just a plain hood wrap? No markings/theme or anything to suggest it supports a 1le theme in any way. To me it makes it look like someone with a tasteful car is copying a trend that is already over-done on an endless number of oversized spoiler having fart can blasting econo boxes. Weak.

If the hood came as a legit carbon fiber hood or something actually reducing weight.. Or with some kind of functional scoops or something that actually atleast pretends to support performance... It would have been a lot more suitable than the plain sticker.

I understand trying to make a 1le stand out somehow from the other Camaro's... But some kind of subtle small marking or badge could have done the trick maybe if adding a more functional hood was too "expensive" to manage. I am sure a plastic badge or some vinyl font/subtle pin-striping? may have done the trick although I'd rather not even that.. It'd be more preferrable than the plain entire hood wrap.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Went to the website and see no time listed at VIR for the 1LE. SS is 58th on the list. From where did you get the time for the 1LE?
You should visit the forum more often:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240616

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Jakeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Thanks for the links. Hadn't been following this line until recently.
Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Thanks for the links. Hadn't been following this line until recently.
glad to of helped. Let the Good Times Roll!

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
I've never seen so many people get so upset over a feature on a car that can be removed in a 1/2hr.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
Bosse'sBoss

Maybe because it was included on the 1LE suspension package (and the cost of the vinyl, if you don't like it), the hood vinyl should be an option, for the owner to decide. Also GM restricted other stripe packages if chosing the 1LE. :(
Old 08-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
I can see that some people like the hood wrap - I'm just not one of those people. IMO, a wrap-delete option would be preferable. Keep it standard for those who desire it, but let those of us who don't like it have the option to have it deleted.

DX3 was the RPO from 85-90 which allowed IROC-Z buyers to delete the decals/stripes. Since 1LE originated in the same era, how about bringing back DX3.

So, to the OP, change your poll to include the choice for DX3 - decal delete option
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
Lowtan

Drives: Don't have my Camaro YET
We don't have to put "SS 1LE". I'm pretty sure 1LEs are all V-8s.
Lowtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Wraps and such should be factory OPTIONS or... aftermarket personal touches that individuals select of their own free will in order to make the car at least a little different from a handful of the others in the neighborhood.

The most frustrating part is that it is strictly an aesthetic mod, that has no impact on performance... being forced into a performance/handling package. Obviously this addition is factored into the cost and we foot the bill like it or not.
The 1LE ordering is a PITA in general. Overall, the hood wrap is not a big deal because it can be removed and the supension, gearing, transmission, etc upgrades are extensive. However, now you can only order the 1LE with a black interior. No beige. No gray. I know the argument has been it's a track car who cares about a wrap and seat colors? To a degree that is true, but people also critisized being able to order a 1LE with 2SS that had heated seats, leather, etc. and GM basically said they wanted to give people options. So you can get leather and heated seats on a "track car", but you can't get a different color interior or delete the wrap? So much for wanting to give the customer "options". I personally have pulled my order and I am going to watch from the sidelines for awhile until they sort some of this out.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
1LEE

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
At first I hated the hood wrap....

Now, I like it. It has grown on me, and helps make the car stand out from the regular SS models.