Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
KCCO

Drives: 2010 Cobalt SS Stage 1
Need help on a Cobalt SS Turbo Stage 1

I have a 2010 Cobalt SS Turbo Stage 1. In july I had a CEL come on, and only hitting 5psi. Had it in the shop with codes;
P0571-Cruise control switch
P0236-T/C Boost System
P0507-DTC trouble
P2178-rich at idle

They replaced the ECM&BCM. It ran great until 3 weeks later, same problem reoccured, this time with a ton of exhaust backfires. Took it back, they said the exhaust was broken. Had exhaust replaced and now the problem has come back. I put brand new plugs in a week ago, ran excellent until a few days later. Now I only boost to 3PSI... I tried pulling the MAF sensor and plugging it back in to no avail... I had a look at the plugs and they are covered in black soot(running rich?)

Any suggestions? I had 2 boost tests done, no leaks. No vacuum leaks. I wonder if they didnt reflash the ecm for the stage 1? would that cause problems?

I have posted on the CobaltSS forum aswell, just hoping somebody with a mechanic background might be able to steer me in the right direction as I am loosing faith in my dealership
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
Check to see if the stage kit is installed right. Usually a lot of guys had that same problem with their Balts. I had a LSJ cobalt, so I can't help you much, try surfing www.cobaltss.net. Yu might find what your looking for there.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hello KCCO!

I am sorry to hear about your frustrations with your vehicle and also with your dealership. I would be happy to assist in a resolution, and I can also locate a different dealership for you. Feel free to send a private message at any time with your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCO View Post
I have a 2010 Cobalt SS Turbo Stage 1. In july I had a CEL come on, and only hitting 5psi. Had it in the shop with codes;
P0571-Cruise control switch
P0236-T/C Boost System
P0507-DTC trouble
P2178-rich at idle

They replaced the ECM&BCM. It ran great until 3 weeks later, same problem reoccured, this time with a ton of exhaust backfires. Took it back, they said the exhaust was broken. Had exhaust replaced and now the problem has come back. I put brand new plugs in a week ago, ran excellent until a few days later. Now I only boost to 3PSI... I tried pulling the MAF sensor and plugging it back in to no avail... I had a look at the plugs and they are covered in black soot(running rich?)

Any suggestions? I had 2 boost tests done, no leaks. No vacuum leaks. I wonder if they didnt reflash the ecm for the stage 1? would that cause problems?

I have posted on the CobaltSS forum aswell, just hoping somebody with a mechanic background might be able to steer me in the right direction as I am loosing faith in my dealership
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Who installed your stage one kit? cause If it isn't soldered on right there can be problems like this and im assuming you had the dealer reflash the computer as well. I use to have a Turbo Balt and was in a car club with a lot of members that had the stage one done and that was a common problem was poor install.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
By 'Stage 1' you mean the GMPP kit for LNF that used the 3 bar sensors and the re-flash?

I had this on my Solstice GXP. It. F'n. Rocks.

I agree: check the solders or splices. Somebody was making an adapter cable, as well but I forget who
Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
KCCO

Drives: 2010 Cobalt SS Stage 1
The dealership installed the kit, I will have them make note to check the sensors and possibly have them soldered. Thanks
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Dealership would have (should have) followed the instructions, which called for splices. BTW I went from 19 psi indicated to 22 psi indicated and got better gas mileage in my LNF after the upgrade. I routinely saw 32 mpg highway.