Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Dumb question about replacing rotors and brakes

I'm going to be replacing my front brakes and rotors. I'm using the service manuals to do it and it says to use new caliper bracket bolts when putting on new calipers. Do these come with the new calipers or do I need to go to GM or Auto Zone to purchase them? How about the caliper guide pin bolt?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
The caliper bolts are use once torque to spec. Basically means they want you to replace them after servicing the rotors since you need to pull the calipers. It's your call, lots of guys just use them again and put a drop of locktite on them. I have reused mine three times, but I only have 8,000 miles on my car. So they aren't rusted and visually in good shape. I have four new ones for the next time I do any work on the brakes.

Sorry I don't have the part numbers for the V6 bolts. I'm not sure if they are the same as the SS or not.

The caliper pin is reusable as is the spring. If you are a daily driver and they look in bad shape, I would just replace them. Those are fairly inexpensive.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
The caliper bolts are use once torque to spec. Basically means they want you to replace them after servicing the rotors since you need to pull the calipers. It's your call, lots of guys just use them again and put a drop of locktite on them. I have reused mine three times, but I only have 8,000 miles on my car. So they aren't rusted and visually in good shape. I have four new ones for the next time I do any work on the brakes.

Sorry I don't have the part numbers for the V6 bolts. I'm not sure if they are the same as the SS or not.

The caliper pin is reusable as is the spring. If you are a daily driver and they look in bad shape, I would just replace them. Those are fairly inexpensive.
Thanks a lot for your help. Every YouTube video and how to I saw they were using locktite but then the service manual said to replace so wasn't sure. I'll probably just replace them as they can't be that expensive, I'm sure my local GM dealer will have some.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Technically speaking you should replace the caliper mounting bolts. I would guess the local auto parts store and your GM dealer will not stock these parts. I have done thousands of Camaro / Corvette brake jobs without an issue.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #5
Sleez

Drives: 2010, 2LT, RS, 6M, ABM (#1893) SOLD
Caliper bolts: 11570788 front (4) $3.29 ea on Amazon, 11515781 rear (4) $5.77 ea on Amazon

O'reilly pin kits: front; H5811 rear; H5809

H5811 by Carlson on Amazon for $11.15, H5809 $16.66 (description says drum brake HW kit, but obviously disc pin kit pictured!)

Torque To Yield; A torque to yield fastener is mounting hardware which is torqued beyond the state of elasticity and therefore undergoes plastic transformation, causing it to become permanently elongated. Torquing a fastener to yield results in a high preloading of the fastener which, depending on the load frequency and amplitude, can significantly increase the fatigue life of the fastener. When the applied load doesn't surpass the clamping force of the fastener, the strain of the fastener will be lower than when the preloading is smaller than the applied load. It is therefore beneficial in high-frequency high-load situations with a higher risk of fatigue related failure, like a bolted down cylinder head, to use torque to yield bolts.

Compared to normally tightened hardware, a smaller sized TTY bolt/screw may be used while still maintaining the same clamping force. A drawback with TTY hardware is that it normally has to be replaced when loosened, for example when the cylinder head is removed.

On most new GM vehicles, in order to reinstall the caliper bracket you have to have a torque angle gauge and two new caliper bracket bolts. The bolts are Torque-to-Yield (TTY) fasteners that stretch. TTY fasteners are mounting fasteners which are torqued beyond the state of elasticity and therefore undergo plastic transformation, causing them to become permanently elongated.

YMMV, for the low cost to replace, i would replace them!
2010 2LT/RS; 6M, ABM, Torq Thrust M w/custom center caps, Solo MachX-LLT, Blue Anodized Pedals, Barton Shifter w/UMI blue anodized pistol grip, Ported IM from Mace, 25mm isolator/spacer from Mace, Vararam CAI, Euro Rear Fascia, RX Breather Cap. SOLD 4/23/13.

Now have a 1965 Chevelle 4 dr wagon!!

Last edited by Sleez; 04-03-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Sleez is offline   Reply With Quote