Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
insanity213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Dealer damaged car, need advice please...

Howdy everyone, need some help...

Not quite 3 weeks ago I purchased a black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS with 5300 miles on it. Cosmetically, the car was in damn near perfect condition except for one tiny chip on the edge of the door. The oil cooler was leaking pretty badly and they agreed to fix it as a condition of sale. I brought the car in the 1st time a few days later and they changed out the oil cooler. I drove about 400 miles over the next week or so and still smelled burnt oil while sitting still with the A/C in fresh air mode. If I parked in the garage overnight the garage smelled very strongly of burnt oil in the morning. So I brought the car back in today.

They had the car about 5 hours and when I called to check in on status they informed me that first they couldn't smell the burnt oil anymore since steam cleaning the engine (yaay!). They also put dye in the oil and want to check it out in a few days or if the smell comes back, whichever comes 1st. The 2nd thing they informed of is that the technician who checked out the car didn't have his lift positioned properly and smashed up the front bumper and ground effect when pulling the car in.

I tried to get a better understanding of what exactly happened and the service guy was having a hard time explaining exactly what was broken, so obviously I did what any sane person would do, set a land speed record in my Z71 and came to a screeching halt sideways in front of the service department. The damage to the car isn't terrible but I'm pissed off nonetheless. Within a few minutes of expressing my displeasure at the entire service department the owner of the dealership came down from his office and said that he couldn't help but overhear our conversation which honestly made me laugh. I'm sure the Caddy dealer across the street overheard our conversation. At any rate he assured me that they will do everything in their power to make things right. My 1st reaction is that the car will never be 'right' in the eyes of carfax/service records and that I honestly don't know how I want to proceed. I've dealt with diminished value claims and bad carfax trade-ins in the past and it sucks to put it mildly. After a calm and long chat we agreed to sleep on it and regroup tomorrow. I left the car there.

A few things come to mind....

- At a minimum the lower ground effect piece of the bumper (Part of the RS package?) will need to be replaced with a factory part and factory paint. This particular dealer does have a body shop at another location and I've dealt with them for years so I am confident in their abilities. What are the odds that the new part blends well and has not obviously been replaced?

- There is a little dimple in the actual bumper itself just above the ground effect. The paint isn't chipped or eggshelled or anything and I really don't want any filler or respray or anything. What are the odds that dimple comes out when the stress of the twisted ground effect is relieved from the bumper? If the dimple is still there do I ask them to replace the entire bumper? Seems excessive, but at this point I really don't care.

- The air dam behind the bumper looked fine. Is there anything else I should be looking for? I plan on having them put the car up on a rack for a good look before I accept it back from them.

- This may be more for the engine section of the forum, but what are the odds the burnt oil smell comes back in a few weeks? If it does, I might get more angry than I was today. I just want the car to be right.

- During this whole interaction the kid that actually caused the damage was standing there and didn't say a word. At the end I looked him square in the eye and asked if he was the one who caused this whole mess. He looked down and very solemnly apologized. I told him he owes me a beer at the end of all this. Should I hold out for a 12 pack or some Scotch?

Sorry that's so long winded, but I needed to vent. I've driven banged up oil burning F-Bodies for many, many years and was hopeful all that was behind me! I'm not looking to get rich quick over a fender bender but I want my car to be right. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks all for your time!
insanity213 is offline   Reply With Quote