Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
Side Airbags

I looked it up and I guess I just hit a corner too hard.. I have a 2011 2ss/rs and my side airbags deployed. Anyone have this happen to you? How much to have replaced?
DaFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
The curtain bags ? If so,the bags ,headliner and the monitor module . Most expensive part is the headliner.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Will warranty cover this?
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
Will warranty cover this?

Nope.
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
dixonk

And what is their reasoning not to? If you were not in a collision or rollover.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Quote:
Lol cause it's your fault hitting the curb. Not the cars fault.
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Quote:
If they just went off while it was sitting in the driveway then more then likely it would be covered.

But as was said the OP hit a curb too hard and the side air bags deployed. No dealership in their right mind would call that a "warranty fix".

If someone even asked all they would have to do is hook up to the car and check the ECM to see what speed the car was running when the airbags went off.

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
Old 09-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #8

Drives: 2SS
you can order the curtain airbags and if you remove the headliner you can exchange them yourself, but disconnect the battry first and wait 5 min before disconnecting the airbag. After you put them in with connectors and so plug the battery and put the ignition on, if no airbag code is triggered than you are good 2 go, if not you need to visit the dealer to reprogram your airbag module. You can reuse your old headliner but it will be tiwsted, in time it will not be so noticeable. If you decide to remove headliner be prepearded to take off the rear or front windshield.

Good luck!

P.S. before this I will contact GM and try to have my dealer fix it under warranty! It is the car fault that it sensed an accident when nothing happened.
332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 332 View Post
you can order the curtain airbags and if you remove the headliner you can exchange them yourself, but disconnect the battry first and wait 5 min before disconnecting the airbag. After you put them in with connectors and so plug the battery and put the ignition on, if no airbag code is triggered than you are good 2 go, if not you need to visit the dealer to reprogram your airbag module. You can reuse your old headliner but it will be tiwsted, in time it will not be so noticeable. If you decide to remove headliner be prepearded to take off the rear or front windshield.

Good luck!

P.S. before this I will contact GM and try to have my dealer fix it under warranty! It is the car fault that it sensed an accident when nothing happened.
It states right in the manual that this can happen if you make an abrupt turn with the car. So the fact that he was moving and the air bags went off they will more then likely deny warranty.

Mods:
Old 09-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

I didn't hit a curb, I turned from a gravel driveway to a concrete paved one and I guess I turned to suddenly, and corrected the wheel. My friend and I were out taking photos of our cars and it happened while driving home.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
dixonk

I can understand if he hit a curb but he didn't. They went off from turning to hard. That sounds like warranty to me.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Quote:
I can understand if he hit a curb but he didn't. They went off from turning to hard. That sounds like warranty to me.
I just don't think the dealership will warranty it. The car is in motion, and the OP took a corner hard enough that when he went from gravel to pavement the internal sensor that watches for roll overs was triggered and set off the air bags. It does not hurt to try and ask for warranty, but to me it doesn't seem likely.

Mods:
Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Does anypone know how long it should take?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
the warranty only covers defective parts. in order to get them to cover it you'd have to prove there was something wrong with the air bags, and that doesn't sound like the case here. as someone else mentioned, the ECM will have recorded the speed and probably the sharp turn. but insurance will cover it. if you have a low deductible, just let them handle it. it will just go in as a comprehensive claim. shouldn't even raise your rates.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote