Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #29
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
How Many Miles Before You Had A Problem? "Baby" Just Broke 3000 Miles And Have Had No Issues As Of Yet
I had about 18k on mine... some experience this way earlier than that. It also depends on what year car you have. The newer once come with the solid isolator now.

Here's a listing of others who have experienced this.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336016
Old 08-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #30
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I had about 18k on mine... some experience this way earlier than that. It also depends on what year car you have. The newer once come with the solid isolator now.

Here's a listing of others who have experienced this.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336016
So, from reading through what you posted, I probably didn't get an improved part from old one? They only recently fixed the problem?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #31
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
So do they put a solid isolator on the car when they replace the parts?
The entire SC assembly is made by Eaton, and is considered as a whole,a field replacement unit. They remove the entire assembly and replace it with a new package from Eaton. The new package contains the solid isolator.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #32
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
I was up front and honest about my mods. ( none to the SC ) and was refused a replacement. They also put a block on my entire power train so I can never take it to the dealer for warranty. Mine slightly rattles at idle and has since break in, I now have 20,000 modded miles on it, and it still only slightly rattles at idle. I Know a GM mech. that will replace it for me for 350.00 plus the coupler. I'll
wait to see if it gets worse.
The actual TSB (I believe) has the dealer listen for the rattle at idle, and if it's present, they rev the engine to a specified rpm (can't remember if it's 1500 or 2500rpm). If the rattle goes away, all is good. If not, then they replace the SC.

Even with the new SC, there may be a slight rattle at low rpms under load.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
So, from reading through what you posted, I probably didn't get an improved part from old one? They only recently fixed the problem?
My 2012 was one of the first to go and I did get the solid isoloator. Two weeks later I had the blower back off to change the pulley and I saw it for my own eyes. As far as I know they replaced with the solid isolator right from the beginning.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #34
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
My 2012 was one of the first to go and I did get the solid isoloator. Two weeks later I had the blower back off to change the pulley and I saw it for my own eyes. As far as I know they replaced with the solid isolator right from the beginning.
Okay, thanks. I was told I had improved parts. I was confused from the readings.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #35
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Well I have had a experience yesterday and today that just makes me wonder how some people get hired to do a job. I took my car over to the chevy service yesterday because of the marble noise in the blower. I get there and tell the service guy what it is doing and he said ok we will call you when it is done. I told him to walk around my car and I showed him that there were no dings in the doors or anywhere else and to make note of it. I leave there at 9am and at 5 o"clock he calls me and tells me they cannot find anything wrong with my car and to come and pick it up. I said you have got to be kidding me! He said they drove the car and his service manager and the mechanic could not hear anything so there was nothing to be fixed. I said no,no no! I am not coming back till it is fixed. He said I am not going to argue with you! I told him I would be over tomorrow {today} to talk to someone else. Then in about 30 minutes he called back and said he got his cadillac guy over to take a look at my car and he told him the supercharger needed to be replaced because of the noise it was making so they were going to order a new one. I was just about to loose all the faith I had in GM until he called me back. Now if I can just get it out of there and home I will be relieved!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #36
HDRDTD

When I took my 2013 in, it wasn't until they opened the hood and had me start the car that I heard the infamous rattle sound. I couldn't hear it with the hood closed.

And yea, they replaced it, no questions.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #37
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Well I have had a experience yesterday and today that just makes me wonder how some people get hired to do a job. I took my car over to the chevy service yesterday because of the marble noise in the blower. I get there and tell the service guy what it is doing and he said ok we will call you when it is done. I told him to walk around my car and I showed him that there were no dings in the doors or anywhere else and to make note of it. I leave there at 9am and at 5 o"clock he calls me and tells me they cannot find anything wrong with my car and to come and pick it up. I said you have got to be kidding me! He said they drove the car and his service manager and the mechanic could not hear anything so there was nothing to be fixed. I said no,no no! I am not coming back till it is fixed. He said I am not going to argue with you! I told him I would be over tomorrow {today} to talk to someone else. Then in about 30 minutes he called back and said he got his cadillac guy over to take a look at my car and he told him the supercharger needed to be replaced because of the noise it was making so they were going to order a new one. I was just about to loose all the faith I had in GM until he called me back. Now if I can just get it out of there and home I will be relieved!
Did they ever find the TSB? It spells out the procedure for determining its bad. I think usually if it makes the noise its bad. Mine wasn't even making the noise all the time, but they replaced it. A lot of unknowledgeable service departments out there when it comes to the ZL1, these forums really help.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #38
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Quote:
I hope it works out for you....including no door dings!
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #39
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Did they ever find the TSB? It spells out the procedure for determining its bad. I think usually if it makes the noise its bad. Mine wasn't even making the noise all the time, but they replaced it. A lot of unknowledgeable service departments out there when it comes to the ZL1, these forums really help.

I did tell him about the tsb when I dropped it off there but he must have not listened to me. I guess he thought he knew more about my car than I did. I guess the other mechanic straightened him out on it and they told me today they ordered another blower for it.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #40
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark72 View Post
I hope it works out for you....including no door dings!
Me to! Thanks. I just hate to take any vehicle back to the dealership to get worked on but sometimes I see you have to. It is nerve racking for me anyway.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:17 PM   #41
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
It's hard to find someone who will listen to you, it's not the stupid customer of old. I am lucky to have a great service manager.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:59 AM   #42
Murder 1

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
We put a solid isolator in that one when we built it.
Yea my engine guys told me it was a flawed part from the get go. And it was gonna go sooner or later, probably sooner. So we put in a solid piece with 74 miles so we could go on with modding life.