Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
null_x86
I'm baaaaaaaaaack

Drives: 2003 Saturn Vue "Toy Car"
Send a message via AIM to null_x86 Send a message via MSN to null_x86 Send a message via Skype™ to null_x86
Any cops/firefighters/etc have lights on your Camaro?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here who is a Cop, Fire Fighter, or anyone else who needs Emergency/Warning lights, have you got your Camaro equipped with these? I was wondering, because i have to get a lightbar with ambers for my job, and I was wondering on what some of the people here use. I know this can be a bit of a controversial topic, so Ill say it only once: yes, I have checked local laws, and talked to the Sheriffs Dept about this, and I am in my legal right to have it, and No, I do not plan on using the lights for any nefarious purposes. Only reason I need the lights is for my back window, because I have to do frequent stops on the side of the road (cable installs, phone installs, etc - I'm a freelance guy). So anyone got any suggestions? Thanks guys...

www.bmblb.us
910-358-0964

Rally Yellow w/ Black Stripes 2SS/RS 6 Spd Manual - Someday...
Perma-grin started 10-20-09
Future USAF 2nd Lt.
null_x86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
hey null, if you check around the site, youll see a few police camaros, some unmarkder and some not. Try Youtube, theres a video there with some light bars hidden at the top of the windshield for the front and rear.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
null_x86
I'm baaaaaaaaaack

Send a message via AIM to null_x86 Send a message via MSN to null_x86 Send a message via Skype™ to null_x86
i checked google and youtube, and most of them that show the Camaros either dont give part numbers or are parts i cant legally install (fullsize lightbars for example)... about the only thing I have found is the Camaro on SWPS.com and only about 2 or 3 of the parts there i can use... Just kinda wondering what fits and all. I checked a few sites for some desk/dash lights, and so far nothing is out for the Camaro, so thats why I'm asking. Thanks though..

www.bmblb.us
910-358-0964

Future USAF 2nd Lt.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Just go to Whelen's website and do some surfing around. Or Code 3. Code 3 makes an amber arrowstick in several difffernet lengths from 30 to 47 inches.

My local place is streichers. Their code3 part number is PSE-NA3539. It's $599 with the control box.

If thats too much, just get some Whelen slimlighters and hang them from the top of the back window and hard wire them.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
CRYMFTR265
Semper Fidelis

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro 2SS\RS
Scrappy..............I love that Thin Blue Line as your Avatar. Peace and be safe out there......
CRYMFTR265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Supercop29
Old Cop!

Drives: 2SS/RS
Yeah I have one fully equiped, 2 radios & moving radar... arrow stick in back window... I had to make brackets for EVERYTHING..... LED's in tail lights, turnsignal, and driving lights.... get ready to take front and rear bumpers off!
Attached Images

Supercop29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
Supercop29
Old Cop!

Drives: 2SS/RS
I had the arrow stick for the back window but it was an 8 head LED , we had to cut it down to a 6 head. The room in the back window is like 27 or 28 in. I can't remember ... I had to build my brackets for the lights in the front windshield, I didn't want to drill any holes in the car that would be seen if I took any of the equipment out... so I have made that happen. I made brackets that fit under my sun visors so i use the bolts of the sun visor to hold the lights up.... built brackets 4 time to make them fit right. The radio bracket and radar brackets are mounted to the bottom of the passengers seat and moves with the seat. Again no holes if I remove. Rear arrow stick is mounted behind rear seat on the wall... these hole are seen when rear seat is lowered, but would not be bad if covered properly. The LED lights in the tail lights, turn signal lights would not be seen if removed but driving lights and rear back up lights might be able to see light hole depending on what angle you drilled the hole for the LED's.
Again, front and rear bumpers will have to be removed to install properly.

GOOD LUCK
Supercop29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
null_x86
I'm baaaaaaaaaack

thanks supercop29... who do you get your equip from?

@scrappy doo, Ill check them out... normally I just hit Galls' website cause they list all brands...

www.bmblb.us
910-358-0964

Future USAF 2nd Lt.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
www.strobesnmore.com

I'm an engineer (I design high-voltage transmission lines) and I am frequently visiting jobsites where I often need to go both on and off-road. I outfitted my '95 s-10 blazer with Whelen's clear hide-a-way bulbs in my headlights, front turn signals and reverse lights. Obviously, I can't be taking the Camaro off-road, but the principal is still the same.

If you're only installing clear or amber flashing lights, then there's really no problem as long as you have a justified need for them.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
null_x86
I'm baaaaaaaaaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
www.strobesnmore.com

I'm an engineer (I design high-voltage transmission lines) and I am frequently visiting jobsites where I often need to go both on and off-road. I outfitted my '95 s-10 blazer with Whelen's clear hide-a-way bulbs in my headlights, front turn signals and reverse lights. Obviously, I can't be taking the Camaro off-road, but the principal is still the same.
thanks for the site.. yeah I know what you mean, I have done some work where I have had to be on the side of the road and I've had a few close calls...

Quote:
If you're only installing clear or amber flashing lights, then there's really no problem as long as you have a justified need for them.

Yeah, I can only install Ambers and clears (in front only, stobes in the back are ok though..), but like I said, im not using them for nefarious purposes, only to keep my butt safe when I work... NC state law says I can use ambers front and back, clears in front, and strobes in front and back..

www.bmblb.us
910-358-0964

Future USAF 2nd Lt.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
Hammer70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I installed some on mine for similair reasons, and you must remove the front fascia to access the headlight housing, no way around it. On the tailights, you can simply remove the housing and bezels without removing the fascia, but you must be careful not to break the plastic tabs on the bezels, and reaching all of them can be a bear of you have large hands.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I'm curious, Hammer, when you drilled the hole for the hide-a-way's in the taillight, what kind of drill bit did you use?

When I drilled holes in my Blazer's front headlamp assembly, it left a lot of fine dust inside the housing that was almost impossible to get out, and I'm wondering if there's a "better" way to accomplish this. Should I ever choose to put show strobes in the Camaro (still undecided on it) I would like to make it as clean an install as possible.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
Hammer70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I'm curious, Hammer, when you drilled the hole for the hide-a-way's in the taillight, what kind of drill bit did you use?

When I drilled holes in my Blazer's front headlamp assembly, it left a lot of fine dust inside the housing that was almost impossible to get out, and I'm wondering if there's a "better" way to accomplish this. Should I ever choose to put show strobes in the Camaro (still undecided on it) I would like to make it as clean an install as possible.
I used a Dewalt hole saw, and it does leave some particles inside the housing, but it was a 1" hole, so I was able to clean then out with a vacuum.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
Chase

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Just figured I'd post a picture of mine. I love seeing the different setups. Firefighter
Attached Images

Chase is offline   Reply With Quote