Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Question Anyone else experiencing THIS top issue?

Nutbutt and I have been back and forth on this- but are we the only two?

Our cars have had the tops replaced due to the infamous wear/rub marks. I immediately experienced severe wind noise and brought it back to the trim shop. They pointed to a rail/groove that attaches the top to the rear side of the frame (running down the back of the small side/rear window.) This rail had popped out of the groove/track. I watched the repairman pound it back into the groove. On the drive home, it came out again. I brought it back, 3 days later he said it was fixed. About a week later, during hwy driving, I noticed the whole side of my top "ballooning" out, as the rail had popped out and the top seperated from the frame. See pix below.

GM replaced the top again- advising the rail was ruined as it's supposed to "slide" into the groove and lock in place, not "push" into place-and it's all one piece with the top. Well, its happening again. See pics below- first is the day of discovery on the hwy- blowing open, second shows where to press. 3rd illustrates the "resting" gap, 4- pointing to the gap and another of the gap when the top is up, and 6, how it should look when snapped into place (notice the visible cable when popped out in pic #5)

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? For those with (and without) top replacements, please take a second to check this area on your car and see if, by pressing in on the outer edge of the top, where it meets the small rear window, is it's firmly attached, or if it "snaps" into the groove... this is trip #10 back to the service dept... I'm Fn' pi$$ed now!
Attached Images

Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Miraclewhip

Drives: 2012 BLK / IO / 2SS / RS / Vert
OUCH.

well im GLAD im not. GL friend.
Miraclewhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Tstorm180

Drives: '11 Camaro SS Conv. + '06 Silverado
Yes, i had a similar issue. My top was replaced and i had the same noticable road noise coming from the rear passenger window as well as serious wrinkling of the top after being retracted. The dealer fixed the road noise, but now there is an indentation in the roof just above the window. They need to send the car to the upholstery shop for the wrinkles but can't guarantee that it will be a permanent fix. I'm obviously not happy that i have tp bring the car back to the shop AGAIN, but worst of all is having to leave it for a couple of days at the upholserer. I'm beginnig to think that the wear marks weren't so bad.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstorm180 View Post
Yes, i had a similar issue. My top was replaced and i had the same noticable road noise coming from the rear passenger window as well as serious wrinkling of the top after being retracted. The dealer fixed the road noise, but now there is an indentation in the roof just above the window. They need to send the car to the upholstery shop for the wrinkles but can't guarantee that it will be a permanent fix. I'm obviously not happy that i have tp bring the car back to the shop AGAIN, but worst of all is having to leave it for a couple of days at the upholserer. I'm beginnig to think that the wear marks weren't so bad.
I keep up with these treads,about these tops,Im trying all I can ,I do not want to get my top replaced
Placed weather strip on braces
Placed tape on braces
Placed a towel between bracees :( when lowerd
Dont lower the top toataly while cruzin:( just one hit back up after I lower it
this top shit is killin me
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I agree, If I knew what I know now I wouldn't have replaced the top. I waited almost 3 months to get it replaced and now its actually more unusable than before.
Also agree with leaving it at the trim shop. No exactly the greatest part of town, and the place was just broken into in the last 8 months. I have been taking pictures of the car before I leave it just in case it come back damaged.
I am upset but everyone seems to be trying to get this done right.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
My top was replaced and I get the passeger side wind noise. I've driven at highway speeds with top up and checked my mirrors and did not see the 'puffing' like in your pics. I need to find a minute to go with my wife for a ride where I can spend some 'safe' time really looking at it while someone else drives.

I checked the fit when parked and its tight, very tight. I didn't try but it feel like I'd have to pull very hard to get the separation you show with your finger in it.
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightrider View Post
My top was replaced and I get the passeger side wind noise. I've driven at highway speeds with top up and checked my mirrors and did not see the 'puffing' like in your pics. I need to find a minute to go with my wife for a ride where I can spend some 'safe' time really looking at it while someone else drives.

I checked the fit when parked and its tight, very tight. I didn't try but it feel like I'd have to pull very hard to get the separation you show with your finger in it.
I'm hoping this is just an isolated incident then, and can be fixed. There was no pulling involved in my pic- I simply put the top down, stopped half way to exam, and that's what I got. If yours is tight, then your fine
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
WhiteCamaroSS
White Camaro 2

Drives: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHQuWojLdhI
Thanks... will keep an eye out for this... I had the car 3 weeks, but honestly only logged in 50 miles... been raining in the northest so its in the garage... but appreciate the info... I hope it does not happen on my camaro.. but who knows..
WhiteCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
All I know, is I'm not having my top replaced until they learn how to fix it. Looks like you're just trading one problem with the top for another. Sucks big time that it seems like you are the beta tester for all of us.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
All I know, is I'm not having my top replaced until they learn how to fix it. Looks like you're just trading one problem with the top for another. Sucks big time that it seems like you are the beta tester for all of us.
Same here. Two little white spots on my tops seem to be nothing compared to all the problems with a total top replacement.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
Nutbutt

I'm feeling like a lab rat right about now !
Old 09-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
ambientweather

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS
Holy f drago, that sucks. Hang in there, man, I feel for you.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
RS/4Life

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
Thats why i dont like verts or sun roofs, they are nothing but problems.
RS/4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
Nutbutt

Verts and sunroofs can be trouble free ! This is a problem that can be fixed, it just seems like GM is not really taking the time to fully write up the fix for the dealerships and trim shops to fix properly.
Even a Coupe has a lot of stuff that can go wrong, I know I have one. I wouldn't give up all the great stuff my 2011 vert has over my 69 vert !
Love the car, just hate the top problem.