Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Trifecta still going!!

UPDATE: 2/23/12

I noticed that alot of peoples only look at the last page and the first page and don't go through the whole thread ending up being behind or getting the old or even worst, walking away with misinformation. So whatever update I have from now on I will update this front page so everyone can be on the same page.

Just to recap everything for you guys, vince can now work with the knock sensor on our bosch ecm equipped LLT which give him the ability to work with ignition timing and other related areas. Our LLT is programmed with a very overly sensitive knock sensor from the factory which advance timing until knock is presented then it will pull that timing back until knock settles. Manually dealing with the ignition timing was a little hard to do because whatever extra ignition timing you dial in the overly sensitive knock sensor pulled that timing right back out. So dialing in extra ignition timing was nearly impossible unless we was dealing with e85 and it's high octane level to stabilize any unnecessary kr.

The first part of the initial phase, we desensitized the knock sensor allowing the timing to advance on it's own and we got it to peak at 35* on wot. To our surprise, even with that much timing and after desensitizing the knock sensor, there was not any "real" detonation on 93 octane gas. This just prove how sensitive the knock sensor is set from the factory. I went on the dyno to gather more data and to see how far the ignition timing been pushed, and just as I thought, 35* was way too much timing as you can see on the dyno graph. Before the desensitizing of the knock sensor, the timing get advanced to 31-32* max and average around 26-28* depending on the condition.

The phase two is where things get interesting. Now vince is able to put everything together to rework the cam phasing or VVT(variable valve timing). I don't really want to go into specific details of what exactly has been done without talking to vince first since sometimes this can be a sensitive subject, but, this is a work still in process so stay tuned and I will update you guys as things progress.

You guys know you can PM me anytime. No question is a stupid question LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by bmorecam; 02-23-2012 at 12:06 PM.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Very exciting thanks for all your and Vinces hard work. Sounds like we have another awesome update coming!!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
NICE! thanks for sharing...took you long enough!

good job and great write up
Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Nice, so that's what you have been working on with vince. Even thou there were no initial gains like more work we should see good gains.

Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
bcperry
Engineer in Training

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
so....We can get an updated tune soon? And get some MORE gains? Awesome! good job, and keep it up Vince, and you too bmorecam
Old 02-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
looking at your dyno, is that with the 25mm insulator?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Yes sir, aaron, and reworked ported IM. I will get up with you on that sometime tomorrow

I will leave you guys with this. I just talk to vince not too long ago and we are going to try to retweak the cam phasing. Remember, some of the nicest gains come from changing the valve timing. Now we can incorporate more timing with more aggressive cam phasing without this knock sensor pushing back. Everything will be trials and error but it look like it's headed to a good place
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Wow very nice man!
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
This is so awesome!!! Nice job guys!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
a few quick questions, was this dyno done in 3rd gear? also, not sure if you've seen the problem with a few cars running on a dyno in 3rd gear and the graph looks messed up (going up and down), but do you think this could be part of the problem?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Way to go Jay.....you are always bringing us such exciting news lol.

Sooo lets take a little stroll through history shall we?? Please correct me if I'm wrong but I want to get this straight...

1) When you was on the E85 tune you dynoed somewhere around 280 something horsepower...(can't remember the tq). That was even with the stock intake wasn't it? lol

2) More recently...on the gas tune, and with the insulator and the ported IM you dyno'd at 274rwhp and 259rwtq. But during that run you thought the AFR might have been off and maybe that left some power on the table.

3) Now you dyno again with this new tune, and you are back up into the 280s, and 270 tq on gas. This sounds fantastic to me.

So do you equate the better dyno numbers this time to the an improved AFR ratio...or did the KR tune tweaks really net you some extra power??

Honestly, I feel like it is fantastic that you are back up to pretty near E85 power levels on a gas tune...I don't see this as a bad result at all.

Feel free to comment on any of that as I'd love to know your thoughts and if you think the car pulls like it did on E85. Maybe it doesn't quite have the TQ like before?? Still impressive though.

My other thought is something you touched on...and that is making sure we can run this and still keep the engine safe from detonation. Do you know if that is possible, or is this all just guessing at this point?

Appreciate this very much....this is super exciting stuff and if it works like I'm sure you are hoping it could...the true power of DI engines may be revealed.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Travis64

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt rs auto 4-9-11
GOOD job keep it up you might talk me into a tune

but can some1 work on a program for a mac
Travis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis64 View Post
GOOD job keep it up you might talk me into a tune

but can some1 work on a program for a mac
From what I remember Vince's background involved working for Microsoft, if I am accurate I don't see a mac version anytime soon. You should be able to get a cheap laptop though as you don't need really any bells and whistles to run his software.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #14
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Good Work Bmore. I was hoping to see some super exciting results but they will come. I have to agree I think if the cam phasing can be reworked some more it will be a winner!

It's gonna be a exciting 2 months
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!

Last edited by Mach; 02-16-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote