Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
cbr

Drives: 2011 2SS Black, Inferno Orange
Is the Camaro worth 60.000$?

Hi. Really love the look of a new Camaro, but the problem is that in my country GM doesnt import it and with all taxes and customs the price of a new Camaro is about 60000$ for LT and almost 88000$ for SS.
So, doest Camaro LT worth 60000$ with no guarantee??

I'm still in doubt
cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
I think you can only answer that relative to your alternatives -- what are the other cars that you are considering, and how much to they cost in your country?

The Camaro has great "bang for the buck" as we say here in the US, based on US pricing . . . but I have no idea how the competition is priced in Russia.

Also, no warranty is a big factor . . . again it depends on whether your alternatives come with a warranty . . . but the 5th generation Camaro is a first-year car, so it's hard to tell what problems it might have in the future, so warranty is a real good thing to have.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
AdnanHfuda

Drives: none :(
i wouldnt buy it at that price. whos giving you these numbers? you could get two LT's for that price in the US
AdnanHfuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
If the SS costs 88K, give us a comparison, what else could you buy for 88K and not necessarily another car. what do houses cost, apartment rent, etc. Hard to make decision without comprable costs based on monetary value.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
I think for most people in countries where the Camaro is not sold, it will be expensive to get it there. The only way it makes sense is if you really want that car. I can only say that if I were in your situation, I would be happy about being the only Camaro around!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
C377
Wannabe Camaro Owner

Drives: Camaro 2011
try buying it from Germany or uk. In Germany you can get it for about 46k euros, but since you would be bringing it to russia, you can take of the 19% sales tax that they have to charge here. That should bring you down to 37k euros.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
cbr

Drives: 2011 2SS Black, Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
If the SS costs 88K, give us a comparison, what else could you buy for 88K and not necessarily another car. what do houses cost, apartment rent, etc. Hard to make decision without comprable costs based on monetary value.
well, I bought my Tahoe 2008 for about 55000$ here.
cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
johncaye
Pavementguy

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Isn't Govt taxation wonderful? The Gov'ts just can't seem to stop spending here. Hope you can find a way to get your Camaro.. Get the 6.2, you won't be disappointed.
johncaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by C377 View Post
try buying it from Germany or uk. In Germany you can get it for about 46k euros, but since you would be bringing it to russia, you can take of the 19% sales tax that they have to charge here. That should bring you down to 37k euros.
Which trim are you talking about?

You do realize that calculates to:

46k euros = $66k usd
37k euros = $53k usd

If you are talking the LT, then you are pretty much paying the same as the OP.

But this may be a good Thread to start: "Avg price, per trim, in your neck of the woods"

Edit: I paid $34.750k for my trim, here . (not to mention it has been in the upper 70s all weekend, here )
Old 01-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr View Post
Hi. Really love the look of a new Camaro, but the problem is that in my country GM doesnt import it and with all taxes and customs the price of a new Camaro is about 60000$ for LT and almost 88000$ for SS.
So, doest Camaro LT worth 60000$ with no guarantee??

I'm still in doubt
Buy yourself a local supercar for that price... Stay away from spending that much for an import, no matter how much you like the Camaro, it is not worth that much.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Buy yourself a local supercar for that price... Stay away from spending that much for an import, no matter how much you like the Camaro, it is not worth that much.
Unless the local supercars cost proportionately more...and at 55k for a Tahoe, it seems like they might....

Cbr, what does a Mustang cost in Russia? Or other sports cars?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
5thGenOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Unless the local supercars cost proportionately more...and at 55k for a Tahoe, it seems like they might....

Cbr, what does a Mustang cost in Russia? Or other sports cars?
I agree, everything is relative.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
C377
Wannabe Camaro Owner

Drives: Camaro 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
Which trim are you talking about?

You do realize that calculates to:

46k euros = $66k usd
37k euros = $53k usd

If you are talking the LT, then you are pretty much paying the same as the OP.

But this may be a good Thread to start: "Avg price, per trim, in your neck of the woods"

Edit: I paid $34.750k for my trim, here . (not to mention it has been in the upper 70s all weekend, here )
The 46k is for the SS loaded. They already have the cars here and are fitted to european standards. They also offer a 36 months warranty on some cars.

These people are in Munich, you can google camaro munich and you will find them.

The problem here is mainly the sales tax which is 19%.

For 44k is till a good deal if you consider:

M3 base price here 67k
S4 base price 51k
i do not like mercedes so I do not know what to look for.
Ford Focus RS base price 35k

The above are all fast cars, but they do not have the novelty, the flair, the muscle, the hype, etc of the Camaro. SO even at 44k I think is still ok for here.

I have traveled a lot and in many countries, the only way to get a good ride is to import it yourself. That is the only choice. There are countries were they charge 100% duty on imports, but people with money will still bring it. Plus there is always the trick of buying the car, wait a year, and then ship it.

Anyway, that is the problem that some people have with money.... Always looking for away to spend it.....
Old 01-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
5thGenOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by C377 View Post
The 46k is for the SS loaded. They already have the cars here and are fitted to european standards. They also offer a 36 months warranty on some cars.

These people are in Munich, you can google camaro munich and you will find them.

The problem here is mainly the sales tax which is 19%.

For 44k is till a good deal if you consider:

M3 base price here 67k
S4 base price 51k
i do not like mercedes so I do not know what to look for.
Ford Focus RS base price 35k

The above are all fast cars, but they do not have the novelty, the flair, the muscle, the hype, etc of the Camaro. SO even at 44k I think is still ok for here.

I have traveled a lot and in many countries, the only way to get a good ride is to import it yourself. That is the only choice. There are countries were they charge 100% duty on imports, but people with money will still bring it. Plus there is always the trick of buying the car, wait a year, and then ship it.

Anyway, that is the problem that some people have with money.... Always looking for away to spend it.....
Then that is a good savings, assuming he can import it for a minimal fee.

I've always heard about the 1yr trick... to me that seems the best idea imo, unless you got that cash to blow and are in a hurry. (1year of storage can't cost too much.)

Edit: Ouch on the 19% sales tax... but Cali is catchin' up quick.