Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #29
crzycicada

Drives: 2SS/RS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSizzle View Post
I use Meguiars Ultimate wash & wax it has carnauba wax and synthetic polymers, its yellow, works great. Then use Eagle One Wax as you dry and a chamoi to dry, then use Meguiars Spray Wax, and a micro fiber towel after every wash. No spots, water just beads off if it gets wet. Its a lot easier and quicker than hand waxing.
How often do you have to reapply the wax? Do you know if you can use the wax on the factory rally stripes?

Order date: 7/17/09
3000 TPW: 8/17/09
3400 status on 8/11/09
3800: 8/21/09
4200: 8/24/09 on rail car ETTX850796
5000/6000: 9/2/09
crzycicada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #30
mutant chicken
Mutant Member

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '10 Mini , 07 Harley
I've been fairly lucky with the Camaro since we can keep it in the garage, but my daily driver is a red Mini Cooper S which has been getting doused with sprinkler water on a regular basis and our water here is HARD ! I do my damndest to keep the car away from the sprinklers but it just doesn't seem to pan out... I've tried the vinegar/water mix, and I keep waxing, but I can't wash my car every day, who has the time for that ?

I've been using Meguires NXT paste wax for a while now and I've been really happy with it, I started using it on my Harley then the Camaro and now the Mini, but I'm begining to wonder if anything can stop these stupid water spots !

mutant chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #31
redbankfire

Drives: RJT/Silver 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
You can't judge Zaino vicariously through one example. I use Zaino products also and have a perfect example of how it did help recently.

I gave my wife's Acadia a good wash and Zaino treatment at the beginning of May. My mom is visiting and her Altima coupe (with most likely no wax at all) was parked right next to the Acadia in our driveway this weekend and the next door neighbor's sprinkler was blown all over both cars. They sat all day in the 100 degree sun on Sunday and overnight. Monday afternoon, I finally had a few free hours and decided those cars needed washing to remove the water spots. After an hour of scrubbing the hood, I barely made a dent in them on my mom's car. I finally gave up, finished the wash and dry and moved on to my wife's Acadia.

Just the soap and water took them off without any scrubbing or effort. After the wash/dry, it looks freshly polished again! This isn't meant to compare to the OP's situation, but it does show how a Zaino'd surface made WORLD of difference compared to an untreated surface during the exact same event.

Zaino didn't become one of THE most respected and proven automotive polish brands in the world by accident.
I don't mean to be a negative Nelly...but you really can't make a fair comparison with two different manufacturer's paints. Nissan paint may be softer and/or more susceptible to mineral damage in comparison to the GMC. Obviously the treated surface is going to fare better than the untreated surface.It would just be a better comparison if they were the same manufacturer's paint.
redbankfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #32
TheKid_28

Drives: Black 2SS w/ White rally stripes
I had bad water spots and wash after wash they were still there. I washed and clayed the car and they were still there but after I hit it with the swirl and haze remover + revive polish and they were all gone, every single spot.
TheKid_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #33
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
i only had them on my windows, from this weekend when I got busy messing with changing the thermostat while I had finished washing the car and hadn't dried it yet..idiot me. anyway, i used 100% white vinegar and they came out just fine, then went over it with my Griot's Garage window spray.

and I always have used Zaino for the painta and glass, always happy with them, but I don't believe it's made to get out water spots.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #34
Viral

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
and I always have used Zaino for the painta and glass, always happy with them, but I don't believe it's made to get out water spots.
I was saying that a coat of Z2 made it easier to remove the water spots that formed on top of it, since it was protecting the paint. And some Zaino products ARE designed to remove water spots (along with any other paint damage). Z-AIO and Z-PC are both abrasive compounds used to correct paint damage. Zaino is a brand with an entire array of products meant for different purposes. the sealant is only one of their products.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #35
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
I'm just a biology PhD student but I'm pretty sure 100% vinegar (acetic acid) will eff up your paint. Especially considering the stuff you get at walmart is no where near 100%. When I use acetic acid in the lab it needs to be opened in a fume hood or the fumes will burn your sinuses. I would only use the stuff you cook with (1%?) and still dilute it in distilled water. That is plenty enough to remove water spots.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #36
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
A side note. I used the Mr clean care wash thing with the water softener. I stopped using it in May because I was getting fed up paying for the damn filters, but after a whole summer of not using them I gave in. Even though I dried the car quickly and detail sprAyed between waxes I still had tiny water spots building up I could only see when up close at an angle. Rinsing the car once with this thing after a wash got rid of almost all of them.