Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoramsrt View Post
The frameless windows have my attention as well. You know there is going to be a lot of wind noise at higher speeds.
No there wont be, this technology is not new. Been around for years, i have been "high speeds" in a BMW with indexing windows, and even in a mustang and there is no wind noise.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #16
jimmyallgm
RealSick/SuperSport

Drives: fasterThanYours
Send a message via AIM to jimmyallgm
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoramsrt View Post
The frameless windows have my attention as well. You know there is going to be a lot of wind noise at higher speeds.
wrong!!! car is quiet as possible at 142!!
jimmyallgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #17
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman302 View Post
Teleplayer, i'm not telling you to adjust mirrors, im just saying that in some cars you have to use mirrors. but really take a test drive in this car before you decide, i really thought it was going to be hard to see and I didnt have a problem seeing, and i don't use mirrors much at all
Thanks for your input. I love this forum, there is so much information here. And I love the funny comments too, keep them coming. If I could only find a minivan with an LS3........
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:03 AM   #18
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
No there wont be, this technology is not new. Been around for years, i have been "high speeds" in a BMW with indexing windows, and even in a mustang and there is no wind noise.
I have first hand experience with BMW indexing windows becuase I have one with them. Windows up and windows down at high speeds no wind noise.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #19
zman302
DZ 302 4spd

Drives: 1969 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
Thanks for your input. I love this forum, there is so much information here. And I love the funny comments too, keep them coming. If I could only find a minivan with an LS3........
You might have a marketable item there with the LS3 powered minivan.
zman302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #20
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ28 View Post
The G8GT is a really nice car, but the combination of more weight and "only" 360 HP make it a significant bit slower than even the L99/auto Camaro. The G8 needs to have the full-power LS3 (or L99) on the G8GT model. The G8GXP model is nice, but is just too expensive for a Pontiac.

I agree that I don't like "window indexing" on any car. Either do framed windows like on the GTO, or just do frameless the traditional way like on the 4th gen cars. Window indexing is just going to be a maintenance headache.
My point was that I can get a G8GT for the same price as a 2LT and it's going to be faster than the 6 cyl. (I'm partial to the 2LT vs SS)

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #21
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
My point was that I can get a G8GT for the same price as a 2LT and it's going to be faster than the 6 cyl. (I'm partial to the 2LT vs SS)
If you like the car get. Sounds like a good deal to me
Old 05-23-2009, 01:12 AM   #22
Phenix

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
I think your making too big of a deal of some of this stuff than it really is. You should test drive before you make your final decision. Look at the cars I drive... talk about bad outward visibility. You actually do get used to it. Or.. better said- you start to become more aware of what is around you. I mean, the S2k with the rag up- there isn't even a point in looking, you can only see directly to the sides, no visibility to the rear quarters at all. The Z is a lot better, possibly worse than the Camaro though. You'll learn to speed up or slow down a little to check the blind spots if a car you saw earlier seems to have disappeared. Here in CenTex people have a habit of staying in your blind spots...

As far as the window indexing, my Z has that too. It's a great feature and greatly reduces wind noise. Most reviewers commented on how little wind noise there was in the Camaro.

I do agree though that the leather and HIDs should be optioned individually, but that's just not the reality for the current automotive market (or retail market for that matter). They know these are features that some people think they have to get, so they but them in packages to 'justifiably' stick you for a little more $$$.

It looks like GM views the limited slip as a performance item more than a safety item (can't blame them for that considering traction control) so they delete it from the trim that will have the least 'enthusiast' buyers in order to save a few bucks.

EDIT:
I just want to point out that there's nothing wrong with going with the G8 and for some (most) people it is a better alternative to the Camaro. It just seems like you really like the Camaro so I think you should give it a test drive to see for yourself before you completely write it off.

Last edited by Phenix; 05-23-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:13 AM   #23
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
You chose a G8, not hating, at least it wasn't a mustang or foreign car.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #24
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
While the G8 and Camaro share many suspension pieces and have been developed by the same engineering team. Having said that they are very different cars and should be. The Camaro is designed to make several statements in a very dramatic way. As a result it may not be for everyone. I love the G8 and that is the only other car I would consider. If you can't live the design characteristics and options availible then by all means you should look elsewhere. G8 is a great car, buy one while you can.

Finally most of your techinical statements about the Camaro are a bit simplistic. GM needed to use both the L99 and LS3 to avoid the very expensive gas guzzler tax. Of course the G8 uses the same technology of the L99 so not sure how the G8 is superior in this area. In terms of limited slip dif. Clearly limited slip difs are superior but GM aimed at a certain price point for the V6 powered cars and that is why you don't get the same exact options on a V6 car as an SS. Most folks are very happy to be able to get an RS option with a V6 car rather than having to spring for the SS. What you see as flaws many of us would see as strengths.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #25
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Quote:
So on to the G8. With the G8 you get basically the same chassis. I was pricing out a GT model which has the 361 HP V8. (AFM) You can get same-sized tires. Limited slip. auto a/c. 0-60 in 5.3 sec. Windows with frames. If you price out a loaded GT, it comes in about the same or less as a loaded 2LT camaro. And that is before you get a discount off MSRP. And no worry about markup over sticker price. All in all a better value dollar for dollar.
I was just wondering how you came up with these prices. The last time I checked a loaded a loaded GT was in the 33-35k range and a 2LT Camaro is only around 28-29k. Yeah I realize their are numerous discounts on the G8 which may put it at or slightly below the camaro, but you are stuck with an auto sedan that get worse mileage than the better looking camaro coupe. I would also consider resale value as the camaro should hold its value well if not modded out and you keep the miles reasonable, while the G8's resale will most likely tank now.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:42 AM   #26
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
I guess you can buy a Pontiac, if they are still going to be around....jk
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #27
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyallgm View Post
wrong!!! car is quiet as possible at 142!!
i can vouch for this statement.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:33 AM   #28
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
G8 is a BIG car. I can't see a true comparison between the two. 2 doors vs 4 doors, Chevy vs Dead Man Walking, Sexy vs not so much.

Go for what makes you happy, but I couldn't take a G8 over a Camaro.