Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Rob53

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS VR Camaro convertible
CAI question

I've never had a car with CAI. I am hearing conflicting statements about the noise level produced by a CAI under the hood. So, my question is this: If I add a K&N CAI to my 2SS 5th gen., will there be a noticeable air sucking sound at idle, or during normal driving conditions, or only if I stomp on it? I know K&N has not yet produced the CAI for '10 Camaros, but want to know before I purchase it, what to expect, regarding noise. Thanks to any and all who can speak from experience on this subject.
Attached Images

Rob53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I dont know about the Camaro, but when I had a K&N intake on my 2001 Tacoma, you could REALLY hear the air getting sucked into the engine when I would first start it up. With normal driving, if i would press the accelerator at a certain point, you could hear the air flowing through the filter. Since K&N likes to have their filters exposed in the engine, I think you will be able to hear the air flowing through the filter. hope this helps!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
You'll get more of a "roar" with an intake, especially an open-element-type like I've seen many K&Ns. That roar would be subdued with exhaust though, and it's probably not going to be too noticable after a couple weeks. You might get some light hissing-type sounds too.

Some cars are different than others though. I can tell you that I eliminated all the baffles and cut a large opening in my 4Runner's intake and at WOT it roars way louder than the exhaust - it's a little embarrasing, honestly. I'm sure you've noticed ricers out there who have really loud intakes - especially like the VTEC cars.

Anyways, I don't think the sound would be overpowering at all though, considering the size of the resonators from the factory. My '02 had a lid and unless the cutout was closed, I could barely hear it with the manifolds on the car. I couldn't tell at all with the LTs though.

You should just find someone and listen for yourself

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob53 View Post
I've never had a car with CAI. I am hearing conflicting statements about the noise level produced by a CAI under the hood. So, my question is this: If I add a K&N CAI to my 2SS 5th gen., will there be a noticeable air sucking sound at idle, or during normal driving conditions, or only if I stomp on it? I know K&N has not yet produced the CAI for '10 Camaros, but want to know before I purchase it, what to expect, regarding noise. Thanks to any and all who can speak from experience on this subject.
what brand cai are you looking at.im thinking about the lmr .we could proberly call them and ask them your question .or any of the other companies for that fact .
Old 08-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

that's right, i agree with radz. at WOT, the whole truck would vibrate and it was really loud. the first time i heard it, i thought the engine was going to explode!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
that's right, i agree with radz. at WOT, the whole truck would vibrate and it was really loud. the first time i heard it, i thought the engine was going to explode!!!
It's funny, huh? That d@mn thing makes so much noise but doesn't go anywhere. 150 FWHP FTL...

Listening to the videos that so many vendors have provided don't really make me think the intake roar is going to be an issue at all - thankfully. It's pretty poor when the intake is louder than the exhaust

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Oh yea seriously! i forgot to mention that it killed the acceleration (the rpms would sit at 2500 for a few seconds and would slowly and eventualy rise) and the mass air sensor. i immediately took it off and went with Volant.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Rob53

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS VR Camaro convertible
additional info....

I should mention that I am expecting my Borla axle back type S exhaust to be installed this week. It's "in the mail" so to speak. BTW FEDEX tracking is completely nonexistent. Yeah, they give you a tracking number, but it is totally useless. As far as I know it shipped from LMPerformance Inc. on 7-27, but no updates at all, other than shipped. Pretty poor customer service for a company (FEDEX) that big! So, the exhaust note will change before I ever add the K&N CAI. At this point, I don't know that I want to do it. I really don't want to hear any noise coming from under my hood, except for the engine itself. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to see and hear one installed on '10 'Maro before I order it for mine.
Rob53 is offline   Reply With Quote