Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Plain and simple, I need advice

Long story short, I want a supercharger or turbo/procharger. I don't know which is really the way to go. I hear good things about all such as the E-force, maggie, whipple, The 1.9 from GM I believe and there's a couple of turbo kits I believe on the phastek website.

I'm not looking for a 9-10sec monster (although that would be nice), I just want a good amount of power added and still be able to drive my car everyday without really having to upgrade much.

If all I got was a supercharger what else would I NEED to upgrade in order to insure smooth driving without breaking anything?

Thank you all in advance for any help and/or advice!
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
If you are happy with a 120-140 rear wheel HP gain, then you can add a eforce, whipple, lysholm or a Magnuson without changing anything else. Both of those kits are designed to work with 100% stock vehicles.

At that level they are all practically the same. Which one appeals to you most cosmetically?
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.u.el View Post
Long story short, I want a supercharger or turbo/procharger. I don't know which is really the way to go. I hear good things about all such as the E-force, maggie, whipple, The 1.9 from GM I believe and there's a couple of turbo kits I believe on the phastek website.

I'm not looking for a 9-10sec monster (although that would be nice), I just want a good amount of power added and still be able to drive my car everyday without really having to upgrade much.

If all I got was a supercharger what else would I NEED to upgrade in order to insure smooth driving without breaking anything?

Thank you all in advance for any help and/or advice!
Go whipple....by far the best all around choice of the PD blowers.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Go whipple....by far the best all around choice of the PD blowers.

All you will need is the blower kit. If you don't abuse the car it will be fine.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
TVS2300 or Whipple.
Very easy "bolt on" superchargers and you can just strap em on with a tune and have 120-130+ rwhp. They're also torque monsters so their a lot of fun.

With the stock pulley and tune you don't really have to change anything. It's when you start upping boost, or throw in a cam, that you'll need things such as injectors, fuel pump, if you're an auto probably an ls3 conversion, built differential, gears are nice, suspension b/c the stock suspension on these cars go to crap REAL quick.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
If you are happy with a 120-140 rear wheel HP gain, then you can add a eforce, whipple, lysholm or a Magnuson without changing anything else. Both of those kits are designed to work with 100% stock vehicles.

At that level they are all practically the same. Which one appeals to you most cosmetically?
I thought that after i slapped a set of LT headers and 3" exhaust on the car a week after i bought that was gonna keep my happy...Well, it did for about a week....it hasn't even been a year and the plans never seem to stop!

OP, get ready for the addiction and sleepless nights!
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
trans665

Drives: 2013 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
I thought that after i slapped a set of LT headers and 3" exhaust on the car a week after i bought that was gonna keep my happy...Well, it did for about a week....it hasn't even been a year and the plans never seem to stop!

OP, get ready for the addiction and sleepless nights!
i second that..did, LT, UDP,VARARAM,CAM,102 INTAKE,and T/B...now I'm going to get a F/I system.
trans665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Yup. Agree with the rest of these guys so far.

What you are explaining is exactly a supercharger.

You can strap it on, no other parts needed right way.

To get to the 10 second range you'd need a HELLUVA lot more to keep the car from tearing up. From the engine, to tranny, to axles and diff. Even forging the rotating assembly.

All that piping for turbos is a pita for DIYers.

Just bolt a PD blower on it and have fun.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
akCamaross

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
turbo turbo turboooo! look into turbonetics they have a good set op for the 5th gen camaros
Old 07-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
uniqueskillz

Drives: ETMC built 700+hp Twin Turbo LS3
^^ exactly. Turbo is where its at. Maybe even 2...lol
uniqueskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by akCamaross View Post
turbo turbo turboooo! look into turbonetics they have a good set op for the 5th gen camaros
Can you explain why?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
I would have to say turbo as well. We have all of the little bugs worked out of kits and catching up on the orders as well. Our turbo kit @ 7psi, will outperform any other kit on the market at the same boost level. Complete bolt on and all the factory accessories remain in stock location. No cutting on the car or anything. Direct bolt on kit. 550-600rwhp @ 7psi. all day.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
akCamaross

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
because even at low psi these cars fly when they hit boost
Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
trans665

Drives: 2013 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Can you explain why?
how we go agine.....
everybody knows for the most h/p out of the box, go with the turbo.. just up the boost for more power..with that is more heat probs and a shit load of pipeing..with that said
this OP is looking for a simple power add to his car for a Dayle driver, a supercharger is perfect in that aspect,a lot less to go wrong, like blown off piping from boost, oil leaks,vacuum pressure drops on the wastgates..so forth... so OP u got the right idea about supercharging your car.
trans665 is offline   Reply With Quote