Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto LT1 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Nice driving and your car looks badass! Are those the stock Z28 rims,you're running and how much for a set those massive Trofeo tires? I hope you don't mind all the questions.
Appreciate the compliments. The wheels are by Finspeed and save 6+ pounds per corner over the stock wheels. I think the Trofeo Rs cost around $500 each. That's ballpark, but check TireRack for exact pricing. They are lasting way better than any 60 wear-rating tire should...
Old 10-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #16
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Given to me by a friend who shot my car with his iPhone. I love this; it reminds me of the first Nordschleife vids of the test mules. All I need now is a swirly black & white wrap...

Last edited by brt3; 10-01-2014 at 11:40 PM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #17
toyosuprablue
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Great video. Wish there was a track like that up in the northeast
toyosuprablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #18
brt3
Runs with scissors...

It's a great track. Not much safe run-off area, but a great track. A 5-mile track with a lot of technical sections makes you feel great when you get it right!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #19
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
What were you using for timing system, HOD didn't have transponders when I was there with them last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
On a new track, for me at least, you're learning the scary bits slowly -- and trying to make up time and push the car hard on the parts you know (or that are easier to figure out). So there's that tendency, when on track with other cars, to overdrive a bit to catch or pass the cars ahead.
Yeah, I gotta practice that!! First time out at Thunderhill a couple weeks ago I cut a blind corner forgetting that it was even there. The HOD track officials had words for me! Lol

I don't know why but I always have ants in my pants and want o set fast laps even if I don't know the damn track! Big mistake, I'll learn soon enough I hope!

Quote:
It's a great track. Not much safe run-off area, but a great track. A 5-mile track with a lot of technical sections makes you feel great when you get it right!
Some of the run-outs scare me, on the west side in turn 4W if you run that corner wide and get into the grass your barrell rolling up that hill. And if you go straight your gonna nose plant your car like a pole vault. I still have to find my comfort level at that track.
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #20
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin View Post
What were you using for timing system, HOD didn't have transponders when I was there with them last.
I pulled lap times from the time code on the video. My camera froze (needs software update) during my best session. However, I spent most of that on the tail of a GT3, who had a lap timer. He confirmed the 3:40 during our "battle"...
Old 10-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #21
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
That was one of the best videos of the Z/28 to date. Thank you!!

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #22
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
for lap times...I suggest the free version of racechrono on your phone...real time display and basic post session analysis.

(Edit...done...THANKS!)

Last edited by backtotintops; 10-03-2014 at 08:41 AM.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #23
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Wow. Hugely generous offer, but I recently bought a Vbox Sport to capture data. Thanks, though, for the thought...
Old 10-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #24
brt3
Runs with scissors...

New video posted. This is not terribly exciting stuff; it was cool, a touch rainy, and I'd had a tire pressure issue before going out (loose valve stem) so I was fixated on tire pressures. I've had good luck before with my Garmin VIRB Elite, but it was begging for a software update and it froze a lot. The other video I posted didn't have functional GPS data, but this one did. I'm posting this to give more context for the Z/28, as you can now see the speeds, G's, etc...

WATCH VIDEO HERE

Last edited by brt3; 10-03-2014 at 12:43 AM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #25
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
One more thing...

As I'm reaching the limits of the car, I'm realizing that a harness is mandatory for track usage. Under maximum braking there is simply no way to avoid bracing yourself with your legs, feet, arms and hands. I have no doubt, after this weekend, that this compromises control. I realize there are mixed feelings about this, but I think I'll be placing an order with Brey-Krause this week...
Nice driving, very smooth! I miss that track, can't wait to go back.

I completely agree about the harness for improved control. It's a slippery slope, as I'm sure you know. If you also decide to have a roll bar put in, you can add safety not just support. I was squishing around in my stock seats wanting more support. I now run a 6-point harness with a roll bar, and I also wear a head and neck restraint (Necksgen). As I did about 30 track days within the past year, I started realizing that I could become the unlucky one and slip in someone's oil, even if my driving was flawless. On a dry day you're probably hitting around 130 in the straight before turn 1, not a bad idea to add some protection to that bad ass beast.

Great video, glad you're driving it the way is was meant to be enjoyed.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #26
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
thanks for the video, helped get my morning going in a great mood.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #27
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
...I completely agree about the harness for improved control. It's a slippery slope, as I'm sure you know. If you also decide to have a roll bar put in, you can add safety not just support. I was squishing around in my stock seats wanting more support. I now run a 6-point harness with a roll bar, and I also wear a head and neck restraint (Necksgen). As I did about 30 track days within the past year, I started realizing that I could become the unlucky one and slip in someone's oil, even if my driving was flawless. On a dry day you're probably hitting around 130 in the straight before turn 1, not a bad idea to add some protection to that bad ass beast...
For me, the biggest single safety issue is that the extreme braking performance of the car is definitely having an impact on my ability to have 100% of my effort directed towards operating and controlling the car. Being more relaxed in the cockpit and not having to brace would be ideal, especially since fine control is important when you want to nail the trail braking to rotate the car. Since often follows the OMG/Maximum Attack braking moment, the harness would be huge improvement for me.

That said, I agree 100% about the slippery slope. Too little safety gear (harness & HANS) creates another potential safety issue, if you don't have roll-over protection. Also, many of the harness bar makers don't really give you specs. Brey-Krause, my top choice, clearly states the specs on their harness bar. I'm not too confident in the makers who don't give you this info.

My biggest issue is fitting in the car. I'm hoping the B-K harness bar allows full seat travel. Their site says "works for taller drivers", but the install instructions do show the installation of a block to limit the travel at the end of the seat rails. I'd prefer to keep the stock seat, especially since losing it would remove the side airbag protection -- NOT a good thing on the street with the regular belts. A racing shell would probably give me more headroom, though -- there's the slippery slope of trade-offs again.

I agree; with a warm/dry track and good drive out of the last turn complex, 130 should be easily attainable at the end of the front straight. I can't wait to drive COTA, in February 2015. I think 155/160 might be possible at the end of the back straight there...

Old 10-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #28
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Great video, glad you're driving it the way is was meant to be enjoyed.
A Z/28 without a track is like a day without sunshine...