Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #183
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
There's a reason my drag car isn't a G35 or a G37... nuff said.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #184
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
There's a reason my drag car isn't a G35 or a G37... nuff said.
So you're saying you want me to reiterate, for the 3rd time, that we are talking about 6 cylinders ? If you read through the comments you will note we have already universally agreed the 6.2 liter v8 camaro ss is better drag car, common sense man.

It's like two people arguing about lancer(Camaro v6) and impreza(g35/g37), then some guy comes in and talks about how his drag car is an evo(Camaro ss). Just an irrelevant post. Lol

Back to the point. Yeah there are full bolt on V6 camaros on drag radials and/or nitrous scratching mid 13s.... But you don't understand g35/g37 do low-mid 13s bone stock lol. At least in any DA under 600 or so.

Edit: VQ35HR G35 not those vq35de turds

Last edited by 08-G35s/6MT; 04-02-2013 at 03:58 PM.
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #185
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
So you're saying you want me to reiterate, for the 3rd time, that we are talking about 6 cylinders ? If you read through the comments you will note we have already universally agreed the 6.2 liter v8 camaro ss is better drag car, common sense man.

It's like two people arguing about lancer(Camaro v6) and impreza(g35/g37), then some guy comes in and talks about how his drag car is an evo(Camaro ss). Just an irrelevant post. Lol

Back to the point. Yeah there are full bolt on V6 camaros on drag radials and/or nitrous scratching mid 13s.... But you don't understand g35/g37 do low-mid 13s bone stock lol. At least in any DA under 600 or so.

Edit: VQ35HR G35 not those vq35de turds

I think your missing the point in what gretchen has been saying. That for the price difference inbetween a g37 and a v6 camaro. you can have so much more done with the v6 camaro. A 1LS camaro for what 22k and a g37 for near 40k.
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #186
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
I think your missing the point in what gretchen has been saying. That for the price difference inbetween a g37 and a v6 camaro. you can have so much more done with the v6 camaro. A 1LS camaro for what 22k and a g37 for near 40k.
Agreed, the V6 camaro constantly gets compared to cars that in terms of cost are well within SS price. It competes just fine in its segment. It keeps up with the Mustang and destroys cars like the Brz.
Gs are nice but I'm not aware of any running low 11s or better and they have been out for a while now. 3 years in and our V6 looks like it might run a high 10. You can use much less than the difference between a G and a V6 and have a faster car. Just keep that in mind when you start comparing the V6 to cars that are SS price range.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #187
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
As big hammer would say....that's ricer math. I can go buy a fox body for $6 bucks, put $9 into it and run 11s for $12. See, ricer math never works out.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #188
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
As big hammer would say....that's ricer math. I can go buy a fox body for $6 bucks, put $9 into it and run 11s for $12. See, ricer math never works out.
Comparing new cars to new cars here. In this case you can pay the factory for the performance (G37, SS) or you can pay the aftermarket for the performance (LS/LT).

Last edited by GretchenGotGrowl; 04-03-2013 at 12:58 PM.
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #189
08-G35s/6MT

Quote:
+1

I ignored those comments for this reason. Go to a bank and pull out $15k for mods without collateral and then get back to me. It can be done but the average joe with above average credit can't do this! Plus the Infiniti comes with way more standard and optional equipment(it's a luxury car too) then some base model $22k Camaro on steel wheels, comparing v6 Camaro to g37 is like comparing a Camaro SS to BMW 550i... they both have v8's so their price must be comparable, right?

P.S. Just to clear some things up for the uninformed. Infiniti dealers are offering great incentives on G37's now, I can go to Bob Moore Infiniti(local dealership) and pick up a brand new G37 for $31k. Sure that's SS money, but it comes with WAY more equipment as standard and is much more nicely appointed, in fact a comparably equipped SS actually costs a few thousand dollars more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Comparing new cars to new cars here. In this case you can pay the factory for the performance (G6, SS) or you can pay the aftermarket for the performance (LS/LT).
Except your turbo v6 will never sound as good or be reliable as an LSx engine.

Last edited by 08-G35s/6MT; 04-03-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #190
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
+1

I ignored those comments for this reason. Go to a bank and pull out $15k for mods without collateral and then get back to me. It can be done but the average joe with above average credit can't do this, ya damn bench racers! Plus Infiniti comes with way more standard and optional equipment(it's a luxury car too), comparing v6 Camaro to g37 is like comparing Camaro ss to bmw 550i.
I don't borrow money for my mods, or my fun cars for that matter. Average Joe is not going to buy a luxury performance car, he's going to buy a performance car. If he wants to finance his fun he can buy a real performance car (Camaro, Mustang, etc...) for less money and kick the G37s butt. Why pay for that luxury if your goal is performance?

Quote:
Except your turbo v6 will never sound as good or be reliable as an LSx engine.
That V8 sound and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Besides, YOU DON'T HAVE A LSx, you have a V6 in a G37. As far as reliability, you don't have a clue how reliable my car will be.

I'll remind you again... YOU ASKED IF ANY MODDED V6 CAMARO WANTED A PIECE OF YOU. Don't throw out the challenge then run away.

You want to take Grammy to her doctor's appointment in comfort get a G37. Want to make it safe to do so in all weather get an AWD G37.

Want a real performance car don't get a G37 because you are wasting money on a luxury car. There's a reason that for every Luxury Performance car you see at the track there are 20 real performance cars (i.e., Camaros). They can be made to go fast for a lot less money. It's that simple.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #191
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Comparing new cars to new cars here. In this case you can pay the factory for the performance (G37, SS) or you can pay the aftermarket for the performance (LS/LT).
You were also comparing a stripped down, cloth seat, 2+2 coupe to a loaded luxury sports sedan...all I'm saying, it's ricer math to say I can buy X car for this amount of money and it will be faster then Y car for that amount of money..
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #192
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
You were also comparing a stripped down, cloth seat, 2+2 coupe to a loaded luxury sports sedan...all I'm saying, it's ricer math to say I can buy X car for this amount of money and it will be faster then Y car for that amount of money..
Not my problem that he paid for luxury then came on a Camaro site talking $hit about performance and can't take the heat.

However, on the ricer math issue I take exception. In my mind ricer math is when someone sees advertisted 20 HP for headers and 15 HP for a CAI and thinks they will gain 35 HP with both.

This is more like you see everyone getting about 20 HP gains from a set of $500 dollar headers and 20 HP gain from a set of $700 headers. Which one do you buy? If you say the $500 set then aren't you employing the same "ricer" math that I am. I'm just doing the same thing every modder does, looks at gains for the bucks.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #193
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
G35, the video of the TT with 8 psi of boost making 450HP...well turbos on an LFX with 8 psi does pretty much the samn damn thing, so not impressed there.

The aftermarket for the Camaro V6, and especially the new LFX is pretty small, so your comparisons to what is proven/reliable really has no real bearings as of yet. I can only think of one V6 that went boom with a turbo, and that was due to a tune which ran the car incredibly lean. Otherwise there has been zero failures.

Modding wise...N/A with a tune, cats, exhaust, and cold air intake your looking at a good 350 - 360 crank HP. So starting from 323, I'd say they respond just as well as anything else out there. The LFX can't have headers like the LLT engine, but it doesn't matter due to the redesigned heads...that + HFCs is basically the same as adding headers + HFCs on the LLT.

With a centrifigal SC, on 7 - 8psi of boost (close to 400rwhp), on stock tires and almost no other mods a 2010 ran a 12.8 quarter mile. Pretty obvious with tires it could do mid to low 12s.

Using turbos, with the much greater low end torque advantage, its obvious that even better times are possible. The G37 video you posted above as you pointed out is AWD which gives it a launch advantage and it runs high 11s. Gretchen ran a mid 12 on his old LLT with turbos running about the same boost (only 445rwhp) on a crappy tune (no good tuning options was why he had to sell that car for the LFX). Pretty obvious here that a good tune for the TT Camaro is pretty equal to the TT G37 when you to take away the AWD advantage for that car.

Now with Gretchens build. he has already proven his car will run mid to low 11s. Its is entirely possible he may even break into the 10s. The G37 is going to need to add a lot more power to do that, which means he will have to go into the 10 - 12 lbs of boost range which again, puts it on equal ground with Gretchens car.

What is my point? That all this talk of the G37 being a better track car than a Camaro V6 is just non-sense, especially when the G37 starts out at the much higher price point. Maybe if your someone that wants the lux, and then wants to mod...thats fine, but thats not what we are about.

I agree with you that the G37 is quicker in N/A form, but we've all known since the very beginning of 5th gen production that its only real performance downfall is weight. Give it similar weight to the mustang and you have a car capable of 13s stock.

Personally, I feel we still haven't really seen the best of what a good modded N/A V6 can do at the track mostly b/c of the tuning options for the LLT. Now that we have IPF for the LLT, and the LFX engines are easier to tune, I hope we can see more diehard N/A V6 guys out there trying to nab us some low 13s in the quarter, but its a pretty rare breed so I'm not sure if we'll see it anytime soon.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #194
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
G35, the video of the TT with 8 psi of boost making 450HP...well turbos on an LFX with 8 psi does pretty much the samn damn thing, so not impressed there.
A VQ pushing anything over about 380-400 whp is a ticking time bomb, believe that! After that you need to dig in, just like the LLT/LFX, no difference really but the LLT/LFX is definitely the more advanced engine and dollar for dollar will make you more power. Direct injection is the future...

Btw Idk about you guys, but I'm sick of reading about G cars on this site. We all know what they can do, and 99% of us could have easily afforded one if we wanted but we chose Camaros for a reason. Lets let this die...
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #195
08-G35s/6MT

Ermagerd guys, I paid less for the full loaded G35 3 years ago(in july of 2010, with 54k miles) then what a base stripper model Camaro on steel wheels costs new, and ran 13.6 at the track few weeks ago.
I would say 13.6 in a stock $21,000 4 door luxury sports car with radar cruise control, AFS lighting, fully loaded is very good.

You talk about turbocharged V6 Camaro's running high 12's when the record for stock g37 sedan is 13.0 @ 106.2, yes stock. Even bolt on/sprayed V6 Camaro's aren't in the same league as that.

$37k hahaha, I can go to Infiniti dealer and buy one for $31k loaded right now with the incentives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
A VQ pushing anything over about 380-400 whp is a ticking time bomb, believe that! After that you need to dig in, just like the LLT/LFX, no difference really but the LLT/LFX is definitely the more advanced engine and dollar for dollar will make you more power. Direct injection is the future...

Btw Idk about you guys, but I'm sick of reading about G cars on this site. We all know what they can do, and 99% of us could have easily afforded one if we wanted but we chose Camaros for a reason. Lets let this die...

? VQ37's push 330-350 whp with cold air intake and some exhaust mods(with stock IM/TB albeit). Show me some Camaro V6's pushing bolt on vq37 power like this.
370z only weighs 200 lbs less then G37 sedan and run low-mid 12's @ 111-114 full bolt ons(roughly the same times as gretchen's old twin turbo setup), I'll let you guys think about that for one second.

Last edited by 08-G35s/6MT; 04-03-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #196
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Ermagerd guys, I paid less for the full loaded G35 3 years ago(in july of 2010, with 54k miles) then what a base stripper model Camaro on steel wheels costs new, and ran 13.6 at the track few weeks ago.
I would say 13.6 in a stock $21,000 4 door luxury sports car with radar cruise control, AFS lighting, fully loaded is very good.

You talk about turbocharged V6 Camaro's running high 12's when the record for stock g37 sedan is 13.0 @ 106.2, yes stock. Even bolt on/sprayed V6 Camaro's aren't in the same league as that.

$37k hahaha, I can go to Infiniti dealer and buy one for $31k loaded right now with the incentives.

? VQ37's push 330-350 whp with cold air intake and some exhaust mods(with stock IM/TB albeit). Show me some Camaro V6's pushing bolt on vq37 power like this.
370z only weighs 200 lbs less then G37 sedan and run low-mid 12's @ 111-114 full bolt ons(roughly the same times as gretchen's old twin turbo setup), I'll let you guys think about that for one second.

Wow, you keep digging the hole deeper don't you.

First of all, fastest nitrous V6 is 11.8 and second fastest is 12.0. So, yeah, way faster than 13.0. Also, a tuned car is not STOCK.

My 12.4 run was coasting in from the 1000' mark becasue of the tune (the reason I traded for the LFX). With the LFX I trap that fast at 1000', so your tuned, bolt on, lighter 370z would get whipped. But you got one thing right. If you wanted a performance car you should have gotten the 370z.

Most importantly, none of those are your car.

Since my car is so unreliable and your track sucks so much, why don't you bring it over here? I'll line up a few of the local L99s in addition to my car and we'll let you "prove" again how you can hang with an SS and beat a modded V6 with your "stock" G35 monster.

Put up or shut up, as the saying goes.

Last edited by GretchenGotGrowl; 04-03-2013 at 06:29 PM.
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote