Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #1233
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
JP, considering the lower ride height, internals, etc, how realistic the factory would ever do something close to this to offer public with a warranty?

I'm just not in the camp that thinks GM will build a normally aspirated engine for public consumption (Z28)above or even close to what ZL1 has. I'm thinking maybe 550HP and about 300 lbs less is about all. Maybe... if they even do it before Gen6.
There are some inside GM that think like we do. Some own Z/28s and really get it. The positioning of the ZL1 as the ultimate Camaro is a challenge, BUT in the world of marketing there is always room for NEW & IMPROVED, That was Then This is Now. The ZO6 comes thisclose to the ZR1 making you wonder if the Z06 with options driver was holding back just a hair to protect the ZL1 as King of Corvettes GTAHVIT wants an ordely organization of name plates with a defined position. He is not alone. I am a bit less conventional. I want what I want and I don't really car about the pecking order.

Just thinking out loud, but rather than have a prospect thinking about Shelby GT500 and the ZL1 or the BOSS 302 LS and the ZL1 why not alter the equation. Should I buy a Z/28 or an ZL1. The magazines would run articles Z/28 vs ZL1 Smack Down. The New King of Camaros Z/28 in September. The King is Dead, Long Live the King ZL1 Roars Past the Z/28 in February when they switch positions. Ford? Are they still in business???

GM has the capability to build a higher output LS7. IMO the real issue is the cost of the engine at upgrade. Lowering is another issue because of crash testing. You would think there would be a loophole that could be exploited . They built the car on Supercar coilovers. We could add a sleeve between the lower mount lock ring and spring perch lock ring that fixed the height at OE. It could be labeled DO NOT REMOVE with appropriate legal text or perhaps no text is required. How many modified 5th Gens are there on the road?

This gives you a factory Z/28 with an LS7 and independent bound and rebound adjustment in the coilovers. We do the cloth seats and delete some sound deadening. We increase the rear bar diameter and run a square wheel and tire setup. Make titanium exhaust an option and we have a true to the legacy Z/28.

There is always room for a tune with headers to take a few more pounds out of the front end and add a few ponies. Some might ignore the disassemble the coilovers and lower the car

It all depends on the mind set of the Camaro TEAM. Threads like this, emails, in person contact with the Camaro TEAM, contact with the Disciples are all very important to those that want a a Z/28. Make it a point to let them know what you want.

If the Z/28 is off the table, would the Z/28 enthusiasts buy the car I just detailed as an IROC?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #1234
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Pete...it would be better than getting hit in the EYE with a ROCK...and hopefully a LOT better 'n buyin' a BOSS...

My single caveat, lo these many months..."But you gotta wanna do it..." from bottom to TOP...

Ride height adjustment, with simple hand tools, has been around for quite awhile, now, with Vettes..."lowering bolts" ring a bell?

Are Supercar coilovers "passable" as an OEM piece? What other parts/pieces are readily OEM-usable? Bars...bushings...etc. How about the 2-piece front rotors?

If these items are NOT "for OEM use", can these be "bundled" as a "TrackDay" accessory, through GMPP?

Obviously, the ZL1 wheels/tires are "effective", but would "square" 305s on 19s save more weight and add more gription?

Is an LS7 @ 525 "warrantee-able"?

How close to 3850 can Oshawa realistically get with this combo? Mid-$40s? Volume?

Proper, valid answers to these, and other, questions would help mollify those in charge of creating a "proper business case"...and those they answer to...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 10-08-2011 at 01:10 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #1235
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Thumbs up Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There are some inside GM that think like we do. Some own Z/28s and really get it. The positioning of the ZL1 as the ultimate Camaro is a challenge, BUT in the world of marketing there is always room for NEW & IMPROVED, That was Then This is Now. The ZO6 comes thisclose to the ZR1 making you wonder if the Z06 with options driver was holding back just a hair to protect the ZL1 as King of Corvettes GTAHVIT wants an ordely organization of name plates with a defined position. He is not alone. I am a bit less conventional. I want what I want and I don't really car about the pecking order.

Just thinking out loud, but rather than have a prospect thinking about Shelby GT500 and the ZL1 or the BOSS 302 LS and the ZL1 why not alter the equation. Should I buy a Z/28 or an ZL1. The magazines would run articles Z/28 vs ZL1 Smack Down. The New King of Camaros Z/28 in September. The King is Dead, Long Live the King ZL1 Roars Past the Z/28 in February when they switch positions. Ford? Are they still in business???

GM has the capability to build a higher output LS7. IMO the real issue is the cost of the engine at upgrade. Lowering is another issue because of crash testing. You would think there would be a loophole that could be exploited . They built the car on Supercar coilovers. We could add a sleeve between the lower mount lock ring and spring perch lock ring that fixed the height at OE. It could be labeled DO NOT REMOVE with appropriate legal text or perhaps no text is required. How many modified 5th Gens are there on the road?

This gives you a factory Z/28 with an LS7 and independent bound and rebound adjustment in the coilovers. We do the cloth seats and delete some sound deadening. We increase the rear bar diameter and run a square wheel and tire setup. Make titanium exhaust an option and we have a true to the legacy Z/28.

There is always room for a tune with headers to take a few more pounds out of the front end and add a few ponies. Some might ignore the disassemble the coilovers and lower the car

It all depends on the mind set of the Camaro TEAM. Threads like this, emails, in person contact with the Camaro TEAM, contact with the Disciples are all very important to those that want a a Z/28. Make it a point to let them know what you want.

If the Z/28 is off the table, would the Z/28 enthusiasts buy the car I just detailed as an IROC?
Pete, you truly rock with the creative spirits! You have solutions as well as foresight on this. Combined = Success, which you obviously have. It's hard imagining how they would condense the launches so close together, but it sure would do what you say... Add momentum to the Gen5, gathering competitive market share, maybe even grow the pie.

Not being a "diehard racer", I'd like to see the removal of sound dampening material and option. I'd actually like to see them allow for addition of Dynamat INCREASED sound deadening in a Z28.... add the 30 lbs to let me feel quietness on any long trips!! Allowing it to be a dual purpose vehicle rather than straight race....

Again, You're Response was much appreciated!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #1236
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Justice Pete, I agree that the changes you proposed would make a great Z/28, the question then becomes what and how far is Chevrolet willing to go? I think that many times their "first vision" would be an excellent production version, then the compromises and deal making within the Chevy Division dilute and water down the final product. I would hope they get it together to actually build a version close to your vision, but reality tells me it probably won't happen. Or maybe they will surprise us and get really close to what people have suggested in this thread. I hope they do it sooner rather than later, I think there are many people that would like to be able to make a decision in the near future about an impending purchase.
Clyde

Last edited by wildpaws; 10-11-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: text correction
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #1237
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Yo GM!!! If you build it they will come
or maybe we can say YOU will build it Pete, and GM will come ...then WE can buy it at dealership in the near furture. That's what I am banking on. You're clearing the path for the return.!
Name:  FIELD[1].JPG
Views: 266
Size:  14.6 KB
Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #1238
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Call me crazy but I think we are going to hear something sooner than later..... and the sooner the better!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #1239
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Call me crazy but I think we are going to hear something sooner than later..... and the sooner the better!
Amen, brother!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #1240
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Well they only have 13 hours to announce it today for my birthday.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #1241
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
Well they only have 13 hours to announce it today for my birthday.
Maybe not that soon.....
Old 10-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #1242
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Maybe not that soon.....
I hate you. Just sayin...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #1243
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Maybe not that soon.....
What it would be the perfect gift from GM to me that I could share with everyone.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #1244
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I hate you. Just sayin...
What did I do?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
What it would be the perfect gift from GM to me that I could share with everyone.
That would be pretty freckin sweet!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #1245
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
What did I do?????

That would be pretty freckin sweet!
They fired Stoops....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #1246
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
They fired Stoops....
Ohhhh crap... I did not know that! Gonna have to go read about that now...

EDIT: I still dont see why Im getting hated on.......

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro