Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #127
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
How about a show of hands from the old timers..... who remembers the 1st gen Z/28 as an economical alternative?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #128
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Why should people be thankful for a car they can't afford? People wanted a Z/28 so they could buy one. You didn't think people wanted a Z/28 so they could just talk about how fast it is? I just don't see how people here need to be attacked for wishing they had a shot in hell of buying a Z/28. Seems elitist to me.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #129
KSCamaro

Drives: Still Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
The Camaro lineup has NEVER been more diverse in it's history than it is today..... they even offered a BIW for the ala carte folks.

Just what in the Sam Hill does it take to make you happy???

... and yes, the Z/28 is true to it's 1st gen heritage... in performance and price. Actually, in some ways, it's excelled... is that what makes you sad?

Sure they've mixed the RPO and COPO codes around a bit, big deal.

Here's the part I don't get..... you can get the Camaro in ~10 variations, from economical to track king and all in-between..... what more do you want???
Check out the options and price of the '69, and you want to try and tell me that the 2014 is "true to it's 1st gen heritage" ? No, it's not.
I was hoping that it would be. I'm not sad, more mad than anything else.
I'd love a Camaro Z/28 that wasn't designed to be a garage queen.
GM has other ideas. I'll just keep looking, maybe the new 'Cuda will look better than some of the renders online.
KSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #130
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCamaro View Post
Check out the options and price of the '69, and you want to try and tell me that the 2014 is "true to it's 1st gen heritage" ? No, it's not.
I was hoping that it would be. I'm not sad, more mad than anything else.
GM has other ideas. I'll just keep looking, maybe the new 'Cuda will look better than some of the renders online.
Price out a 69 Z with JL8, G80, M22, ZL2 and over the counter X-ram. That was the ultimate performance Z in '69 and guess what? It was more than double the price of a base SS.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #131
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
GM has other ideas.
The new Z28 is NOT designed to be a garage queen. Its designed to go out and kick ass on the track all day long. That is the exact opposite of a garage queen.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #132
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
Question for all the haters.
Whats your ideal Z28?
GM pretty much delivered the Ideal Z/28. Problem is its going to cost a hell of lot more than alot of people expected. thats the problem. They wanted their cake and to eat it too.

IIRC back in 67,68 and 69 the Z/28 package didnt double the cost of the car. This Z/28 is going to be close to 60K IMO and that I think is where alot of people are angry.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #133
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
How about a show of hands from the old timers..... who remembers the 1st gen Z/28 as an economical alternative?
Not an old timer per say, but that's why I started this thread for the one's that had thoughts like yourself.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #134
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
The new Z28 is NOT designed to be a garage queen. Its designed to go out and kick ass on the track all day long. That is the exact opposite of a garage queen.
I think everyone knows that, but at the price this car will cost. Majority of them will end up as garage queens. Personally, I think alot of the people that can afford this carm will buy it just to have it in their collection and only a small amount will buy it for its intended purpose.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #135
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Check out the options and price of the '69, and you want to try and tell me that the 2014 is "true to it's 1st gen heritage" ? No, it's not..
Please elaborate

Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #136
KevinK

Drives: '02 SS 345/M6 conv.
A Z28 was and always has been synonymous with being a track car, a signature SCCA car from Chevrolet. What Chevrolet introduced yesterday was exactly that, a factory ready track car.
For the market segment looking for a "true Z28", I believe they will be extremely pleased with the car.
With that said, I know it won't be a car for everyone, and may not be the car the some expected (or have awaited) but again, ...it IS a Z28.
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #137
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
If people are complaining about the estimated price then they do not understand the cost of go fast goodies.

Obviously there is a group here who wish this car was watered down to a price point they can afford but to those people I ask "how different would a car like that be to what Chevrolet is offering now"?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #138
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I think everyone knows that, but at the price this car will cost. Majority of them will end up as garage queens. Personally, I think alot of the people that can afford this carm will buy it just to have it in their collection and only a small amount will buy it for its intended purpose.
I think it depends on how many they make. If people conclude that it has legitimate collector car potential then you're probably right. If they make enough for anyone showing up at a dealer prepared to pay MSRP or a bit less, then you'll see them at the track.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #139
KSCamaro

Drives: Still Looking
Quote:
Please elaborate

I already did.
http://www.oldride.com/library/1969_...et_camaro.html

This was a car that you could drive on the road.
Refer to the options and the PRICE.
To go from stock to Z/28, the price of the car did not increase 50+ percent.

It is what it is. GM apparently has a niche audience that they want to cater to.
KSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #140
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
The Z-28 was a $450 option on the Camaro in 1969. It's now (roughly) a $30,000 upgraded trim level. I'm not bitching, it's just not for everybody.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote