Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
xk49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT Convertible
A/F Gauge install

I have an AutoMeter AF guage I'm installing, but I'm a little confused with some of the wiring. There are three "hot" wires illustrated in the diagram, but I can't understand why in the world there would be three. It's asking for the following:

12v Ignition (red)
12v Dash Lighting(white wire)
12v Direct to Battery(brown)

The white and red make sense, but the brown has me stumped. There's a toggle switch in the diagram between the battery and gauge for the brown wire. Under the toggle switch it says optional. Not sure if they are referring to the switch of the wire?

In the description for the brown wire it says, "Heater Overide for applications that provide less than 12.5 volts with engine running".

Electronics if by far my weakest point, so bear with me as I'll probably have some more questions flooding through.
Flowmaster Force II Axle back, Kooks LT's and Highflow Cats, Oracle Side Makers, BC Coilovers, E-Force Supercharger, Rotofab Intake, HexVents, ACS T4 Splitter/Rockers/Wind Deflectors, Aeroforce dual pod, Autometer boost/WB analog gauges, MRR M228 20x10 20x11 Nitto Invo 275/315's, CDC Sport Bar, Tuned by Slowhawk Performance.
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
without looking at it, it sounds like there is a relay in place. The brown wire provides the power to system. Installing an arming switch is optional so you don't always have to have the gauge on (probably extends sensor life). When the red wire gets power from the ignition circuit, it closes the relay completing brown wires power circuit. The system probably pulls too much current to safely place the brown wire on the ingnition circuit. The white wire just makes the light come on so any circuit that in only on when the key is turned will do. Hope that helps.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Thats normal for a gauge, you have power that's on all the time, then switched for ignition, then night time lighting. You dont have to wire in the white wire on some gauges.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You only need the brown wire if the red wire power is not connected to an adequate power source, that is, one that cannot supply the required voltage. If you are going into the fuse box (with the red wire) for power then you can simply ignore the brown one. The white wire, for lighting, should be tied into your dash lighting so that its dimmable. I can tell you the wire to tap for that once I get home and look at my files. PM me if you want to know.
Edelbrock EForce - Stainless Works Headers - BMR Sways & Arms & Toe Links & Control Arm Bushings & End Links - Rotofab CAI - Assorted Interior, Exterior, Underhood Bling - Red Jewel Stripes & Full Body Clear - Lexani LX15 Wheels - JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade - Kenne Bell BAP - Heartthrob XPipe - Elite Catch Can - Pedders Cradle & Front Arm Bushings - Hotchkis Strut Brace - MSD Wires - Carbotech Brakes - DSS 1000HP Axles & Driveshaft - Mickey Thompson Tires - Halo Harness - AutoMeter A/F, Boost, Fuel Pressure Gauges - Whats Next?
Camaro_Custom_Painted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
1KillerSS

This from Autometer's website, in the instructions section.

Brown Wire(Optional Peak/Recall & Warning WOT Switch):
Connect to Wide Open Throttle Switch. Required for
Peak Recall Functionality.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 05-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
1KillerSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
This from Autometer's website, in the instructions section.

Brown Wire(Optional Peak/Recall & Warning WOT Switch):
Connect to Wide Open Throttle Switch. Required for
Peak Recall Functionality.
Sorry, I don't think that is applicable for your model number. That's for another one of their gauges. This one is for you.

Brown Wire (Heater Override):
Connect to a normally open switch. Connect the
other switch terminal to battery positive (+).

Build thread