Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
cjt037
boost+v6=me=:)

Drives: Turbo'd 6er
STS is Junk stay away

The sts kit for our car is complete junk. bad cheap parts will not hold up under boost at all.

List of problems in order
kit installed march 2011

March 2011 have to weld inplace of most clamps.
March 2011 Several sleeves replaced
June 2011 First turbo replaced
August 2011 several issues with wastegate locking
Dec 2011 pcv fails causing engine failure
Sept 2012 pcv fails again caught in time
oct 2012 second turbo fails changed to non sts turbo
dec 2012 Oil pump fails

Changes made to kit are to much to list. Take this for what its worth. Trying to warn people off before purchase.

STS=
cjt037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
simt3k

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS 2LT
RX Twin turbos FTW~!
simt3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt037 View Post
The sts kit for our car is complete junk. bad cheap parts will not hold up under boost at all.

kit installed march 2011

radiator style screw clamps....not good for boost. We replace with T-clamps and also all the charge piping has just 3 dimples stamped in to prevent it from separating under boost. We remove and bead roll all critical charge pipe ends.
The system is designed with the wastegate so far from the turbo the lateral pressures on the shafts causes failures in no time. We change to Borg Warner EFR's w/internal bypass/wastegate or standard BW turbo with wastegate at the turbo. The way they sell the system the turbos are about guaranteed to fail in short order.
I have seen some messed up crankcase evac systems on FI kits....but this is one of the worst. Have no idea what they are trying to accomplish, but it is a nightmare for somethin relatively simple.

We of course replace with complete RX dual valve FI system that not only traps all oil from ingestion, but is the only one that provides proper evacuation during both boost and non boost operation.
Unless the wastegate is located at the turbo to be able to release pressure immediately when needed the design will take out even a good quality turbo.
dec 2012 Oil pump fails
Very common. Always replace with an upgraded one....Turbo Werks being about as good as they get.

Changes made to kit are to much to list. Take this for what its worth. Trying to warn people off before purchase.

STS=

Your not alone......not alot makes sense in what we see in these, but any good turbo shop (like the one you had correct it all) can make the kits good & reliable.

NOW you can enjoy it w/out worry.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
akCamaross

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Not a big fan of the STS rear mount set up
Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Wow that's a lot of issues, glad to see you get them sorted out CJ! ak, Don't let STS discourage you about rear mount setups though, there are plenty of benefits of a proper rear-mount setup.
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
PT is correct. The theory is sound and proven.....we do them and have a steady stream of STS cars coming through that we redo to operate correctly with great results.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Peter-5

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6 turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt037 View Post

kit installed march 2011

dec 2012 Oil pump fails

STS=
HONESTY THIS IS ALL CORRECT STS IS ABSOLUTELY TRASH!!!

1)I've had to retune the car 3 times before the meth kit because it was to rich and then to lean.
Then I retuned the car because I put a meth kit in and it took Vince another 3 different times to retune and then when he retuned he forgot to take out the code for my headers so I've been driving with an engine light for 3 months because I can not get a hold of him.

2) I had to replace my oil pump or there would be a haze of smoke from the excessive oil because the pump could not drain it fast enough.

They clame 400 to the wheels with a base tune and I struggled to get that with the methonal kit at 9 pounds of boost.

VINCE AND STS ARE BOTH PEOPLE AND COMPANYS I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND.

Vince isn't even a real tuner IMO he's just a software guy and he should sell his company to a real tuner.

Sts can not make a good rear mounted turbo because the parts and the qualty of the kit is so poorly designed.

I haven't ran into an wastegate issue yet but when I do does anyone know what I should do about it?
Peter-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
PT is correct. The theory is sound and proven.....we do them and have a steady stream of STS cars coming through that we redo to operate correctly with great results.

Salute !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk